A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

I am very interested in doing this mod to swap between my xc mtb and road bike. I saw above that some have been able to use just the left assioma spindle with the bontrager comp spd’s. With the Issi flash iii pedals would I be able to do the same thing, just get the left axle and put the left issi pedal on the assioma axle or would I need some of the washers/nuts from the favero pedal?

I am still waiting to get some feedback on the photos I given but I really wonder if the Favio spindles can just have the current Duo threaded/spacer/nut removed and a XT or XTR configuration put in place.

Until I either order a set or see some measurements it will be a mystery to me, but I imagine something can be “hacked up” lol

In case anyone cares to see here is a XTR shaft in the raw

I’ve got a few PD-M770 and PD-M540 sets in my quiver.
I wonder if these will fit also.

Maybe time to dig deep into the Shimano web.

I don’t think there are problems with the axle length, the tricky part is the offset from the base (hexagon) to the inner thread and in the case of the XTR this seems to be even smaller than for the other pedals, I guess you would need around 1 cm of O rings per pedal.
My pedals are mounted on the bike which is in the bike room, complicated to disassemble atm, plus I don’t have that kind of precise measurement ruler. So far I’m impressed with the battery, in more than 1 month daily 1h commute they’re down about 30%.

Hi guys! I was really hoping to see a Speedplay version by Wahoo and honestly when I saw the pictures, I was happy - “cool, they just got the licence from Favero”. But this visibily is not the case and Wahoo screwed that up like many others :frowning:
Sooooooo…how to get around to get Assiomas to my beloved Speedplay body? :slight_smile: Apparently one guy had success with that after modification of bearings, but he never revealed any details :unamused:
Does anyone have an idea how to hack that? :thinking:

I don’t have a Assioma SHI spindle (at least yet) to measure but offer a visual comparison of the spindle from a pedal (PD-EH500) that should be compatible to “hack” vs a Shimano XTR trail spindle. The difference in where the threaded portion is from the “shoulder” of the spindle shows why the XTR pedals probably won’t work (and why the trail variant in the pic wouldn’t work as well). The possible hack pedal has threads on the middle third versus the crank end third. The XTR trail spindle in the pic below won’t even engage a single thread in the EH500 body.
Bottom image is the Favero SHI spindle from their site.

Thank you for giving some visuals, one thing you could test is if the XTR assembly will fit onto the PD-EH500 spindle. If this was to work you would be removing the Favero bearing/sleeve and threads from the spindle and sliding the XTR in place but only if the spindle would be able to accept the bearing itself.

Thank you again for the pictures!

Is anyone keeping a list/spreadsheet of compatible pedals, ideally with columns for price, caveats, special instructions, degree of difficulty, etc? Seems like a lot of people would benefit. Surely it would be pretty easy to make a Google Sheet along those lines, to be filled with crowd-sourced content…?

1 Like

What is the cheapest way for someone in the UK to do the (non-Shi) Assioma hack? All the pedals mentioned here seem to be £100+

No go. XTR pedal body ID is about the same as the spacer and threaded portions of the EH500 spindle. The last couple gens of XT and XTR look similarly “svelte”.

Vintage pedal test, this one is +5mm vs stock. The SPD M737s are beasts but it’s nuts that they could be a body that works with the Shi Duos.

Anyone in the UK got a link for a 9mm socket that fits in the pedal body?

I use a Stahlwille 40D series socket. Bought it from RS but they’re out of stock until mid-December. This item from FFX looks like the same one and its available.
According ro the RS catalogue the OD of the socket is 12.8mm.

RS link (no stock but more info!) https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/sockets/7370167/

FFX link Stahlwille STW40D9 Bi Hexagon Socket 1/4 Inch Drive 9mm

Hope tis helps

David

1 Like

This thread is fascinating and all, but looking at prices online, if the assiomas are around £350 and you still need pedals to convert to, plus the time to modify it yourself, why not just buy the garmin xc100 for £550? (or less if you can find a discount?)

They weren’t around a few years ago when this hack kicked off. Here in AU the Assioma DUO are only $50 more than the Rally XC100. Sure you have to source SPD bodies… but the DUO (dual) vs single sided (XC100) is worth the extra.

*There’s also shoe clearance issues to deal with using the Assioma hack.

Because they are £200 more expensive :slightly_smiling_face:

You do have a good point though, I’m only going down the hack route because I have an old pair of Favero’s that need new pedal bodies anyway - and I love a project.

Hi,

I used some M19 pedals I bought second hand from ebay (struggled to find any other compatible ones in UK).

I am having an issue where there is a bit of a gap between the spindle/power meter and the pedal body. You don’t seem to have the same gap? I worry about the weather/dust proofness with my gap.

Also, tried them out on my turbo and they have quite a power discrepancy.

Photo attached

Hi Sweetspot

It looks like you have kept the bearing on the pod side of the axle?

I kept the pedal body completely as was with bearing on outside and plastic bushing on inside with lip seal then slid the Assioma axle in.

Chris

I really want to try that.

Thanks for reply

I had left the Wellgo bearing on but that’s how it looked.

I tried again using the silver bearing from the Assioma spindle. It looked a lot better / weatherproof but I’ve converted them back to stock now. The second hand wellgo pedals are not clipping in or out well so I’m trying to get better pedal bodies or a new road bike :rofl: