šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰ Announcement: Personalized Custom Training Plans! šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

How recent? Iā€™m getting the feeling that itā€™s simply using my last 4 weeks or so training history. Iā€™ve got a number of week of 7+ hours per week in the last 12 weeks but Iā€™m getting no more than 5 hours per week with the new planbuilder. Iā€™m somewhat underwhelmed with it.

1 Like

Great questions!

Hereā€™s an example week from your training plan. Your A race is in March so youā€™re very far away and have a lot of time to do this right.

This plan is more about you as an athlete than how much available time you have.

If we look at your training history, youā€™re doing about 191 TSS over the last 6 weeks. You have some bigger weeks in there and then some lower weeks.

Youā€™re also triggering red days which corresponds to the inconsistent weeks; you get a red day then take the much needed rest and that hurts your consistency.

In 2022, you built up to around 290 average TSS over 6 weeks (good job!).

Now back to your plan.

This plan is a good volume for you right now. And it also focuses on those key tuesday and saturday workouts.

The other days add volume, but the real key ones are Tue/Sat.

A trap some people can get into is having those thur/sun rides be a lot longer and then you arenā€™t really ready to hit the tue/sat and give it your all.

Especially for a 70min time trial; youā€™re going to want to focus on raising your FTP and being able to operate at FTP.

As the plan goes on, youā€™ll get into build and specialty phases and your fitness will get more specific.

Weā€™ll also check in with you later (still building this feature right now) and recommend volume changes based on how youā€™re responding to training.

tldr; This is a great volume/workout spread for your goal of a 70 min time trial

2 Likes

Right now, delete and use TrainNow. But we have a feature coming where you can one click swap to the indoor ride that would have been on your plan.

4 Likes

Depending on what phase you are in, the type of workouts change. This also depends on what phase you are in.

You will get Speciality phase in this still. Thereā€™s an update coming very soon that will remember what your recent training phase is and then progress you all the way through speciality.

This is only an issue for people who are working on a goal for a short time period. If you choose a longer time period for your goal based plan youā€™ll see speciality phases on your calendar.

2 Likes

100%

What you said plus people increasing their volume very quickly. There are a few athletes in this thread who are wondering why they arenā€™t getting more volume; and itā€™s because they havenā€™t been training with a lot of volume recently.

If we ramp them up too quickly they will run into problems.

1 Like

You canā€™t do this yet, but we have this feature in development.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused here as i dont see ā€œanyā€ increases in volume in the plan the builder suggests for me. All I see is increases in TSS via intensity increases. Is this a yet to release feature?

1 Like

For moderate/balanced/demanding youā€™re on this edge where any of those volumes would work; but during your plan AT will adapt things differently for each of these training approaches.

Itā€™s best to read the description of the training approaches and pick the one that best suits your situation.

Youā€™ve answered your own question in your parenthesis. A lot of your recent TSS is from sustained Z2/Z3 work (btw, crazy how well you can be consistent outside! You might be the best person Iā€™ve ever seen.)

Our system understands that and is giving you more structured intervals (but not too much).

Or in other words, if you had the same TSS as you do now, but you replaced some of that TSS with interval work, it would be a harder plan with more recovery needed.

TSS is a good metric but thereā€™s more understanding and nuance now. TSS was created in the early 2000s :scream: The internet was just beginning then; crazy to think about!

1 Like

Thank you!! :smiley:

I donā€™t have a date for you, but last week we had them up and running and we were reviewing different scenarios. So way before GTA6. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Setting the available time is an upcoming milestone for this. Training approach will still be really important for that.

IE you could be retired and have 6 hours to ride, 7 days a week. But the optimal plan for YOU could be 3, 60 minute rides per week.

Weā€™re moving toward automatically setting masters/2 workouts per week for athletes rather than having them pic themselves.

2 Likes

Wish it was possible to add running workouts in the plan. Looking to swap the 30min easy ride to a 35 min easy run instead

1 Like

Thereā€™s a ā€œOther Durationā€ button on that page where you can select a 6 month block.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bug, weā€™re looking at that.

1 Like

Great questions!

You can switch to a 4-day plan by clicking settings and then adjust the volume. As long as youā€™re not getting the ā€œwarningā€, youā€™re good. You can just keep adjusting that longer sunday right until right before you get the warning.

Depending on the situation, the Sunday right could be progressive. We also have another feature coming that will make it very progressive. Itā€™s next up on our roadmap.

Weā€™ll definitely have the ramped endurance day feature out that will work in your situation with plenty of time to prep for your race.

For right now, I would stay consistent and do those interval workouts; then as long as you can handle it, weā€™ll gradually increase the endurance rides.

4 Likes

You can record them in Strava/Garmin and weā€™ll suck them in, or you can add them as an activity in TR. I donā€™t think we have field hockey, but something like running might be a good substitution for them.

Then plan will then adapt based on your performance.

Q: Any reason this isnā€™t a beta opt in thing? It seems quite buggy & unfinished for a live product.

8 Likes

I know in threads like these people mostly complain but this worked well for me and now my plan is more in line with my goals (increasing FTP, 1 hour per day plus 1 long ride on the weekend, no A race)

8 Likes

If youā€™re saying youā€™re getting rid of TSS, you should!

I just built out a new plan with newest implementation of plan builder and to be honest, it looks pretty spot on based on my recent training history.

My general history for 2024ā€¦

• Early on, Jan - Apr, I was averaging roughly 8 hours/week, fairly consistentlyā€¦ riding/training 5x/week (at least)

• May - start of July, life happenedā€¦ lost job/ got new job with long, crazy and varying hours then went on vacation first week in July. Given this, my riding/training over the course of these 10 or so weeks was VERY inconsistent, maybe getting on the bike 1 or 2 times/week, but for many of those weeks not at all.

• Mid July- present day, now settled into new job and hour, training has gotten more on track, but I am struggling to get back to the hours I had done earlier this year given all the time off and my 51 year old self. Currently I am at about 4 hours/week, riding 3 -4 days/weekā€¦

Given that history, what did the new PB write for meā€¦ you guessed it 4hrs/week, over 4 rides/week! I would call that pretty spot on given my recent history.

I provided my history above to give context to what Iā€™m about to say for all those that are currently stating the new system is WAY under delivering on the hours itā€™s giving YOU. I certainly mean no disrespect and I certainly donā€™t know or have access to any of your individual training history (I can only read what you all are writing). All I would say is to take a look at your RECENT history and see how closely the new PB lines up with it. While I WAS doing and could handle twice the volume earlier this year, I currently canā€™t get close to it now (consistently) without feeling destroyed and the new PB IS seeing exactly that.

YMMV and if you got this far, thanks for reading!

Oh, one last thingā€¦ BRAVO @Nate_Pearson and the TrainerRoad team on this newest implementation! It may not be working for all but itā€™s seemingly spot on for me!

12 Likes