Apple Watch Ultra Released

When I train 6days / week and some of which are 2 wo / day , i need my watch to have enough juice for at least a 2h workout at anytime. There’s so many things to juggle already.

2 Likes

Can I send structured workouts to my AW? I have a fenix and aw and just tend to use the fenix for structured. I didn’t think Apple Watch can even do laps very well (running)

See above.

Push structured workouts…no.

My Experience. I have a Fenix 6s and an AW series 7. I find myself not using the Garmin at all for running anymore. Since I got the apple watch I can leave my phone at home for long runs. I have cellular so I can get messages, take calls and stream music. The New native running app in Watch OS9 is amazing. With Watch OS9 (released last week, but I’ve been using the beta) the AW is a legit running watch - Garmin should be nervous. You totally get used to charging every day and it’s way less of a burden that I thought it would be. 30 mins before bed it gets charged and then I sleep with it.

1 Like

Oh! Let me grab that now too! :smiley:

Thanks for the heads up!

Watch OS9 comes out 9/12

1 Like

People make a huge issue out of the battery life, but I’ve been using an Apple Watch since the Series 3 LTE and battery has always been a non-issue to me. It’s just like a phone, I charge it once a day and I never even think about it. My current SE watch seems to last about 48 hours on a charge from 100%, so I end up just tossing it on the charger while I shower and that’s enough to keep it topped off.

I use my Apple Watch for running and my Wahoo Bolt for cycling and realistically I find myself with a dead battery on the Bolt much more frequently than the Apple Watch. Probably because I’m in the habit of charging the Apple Watch so that I start off at 100% everyday. With the Bolt even though the battery lasts much longer I tend not to put it on the charger after every ride and eventually get caught out.

3 Likes

It all depends what you expect your devices to do.
I would be unhappy with an apple watch (even if they worked with android) because of battery life.
By the time I would be done with a long ride or a long run, the battery will be down to the point it will not last the whole day.
The apple watch is a great smart watch. Garmin make great sport watches. there is some overlap, but there are mostly different products.

3 Likes

Either AppleWatch batteries have vastly improved in the last few years or people are taking extremely long showers, but my series 4 or 5 had to be charged for about an hour to fully charge and sometimes had to be charged twice a day if I was very active. There is absolute zero chance I could have kept it topped up with a 10 minute charge while showering.

The batter have improve. My wife has a series 7 and it last about day and a half , maybe enough to use 2 consecutive work days (she doesn’t track sleeping or do sports).
She had a series 4 before that and it would almost make it a day, but it would need to be charged daily.

Yeah, admittedly, I was using it to track sleep and exercise, along with messaging, alarms, apps, etc.

Series 7 and the newest ones have a fast charger - can go from 10% to full in about 30 min

Yeah the older models the charging “while in the shower” wouldn’t have added that much, with the series 7 it keeps it at `100% every morning

3 Likes

Wow. That’s awesome. Huge improvement.

Right and also because it lasts longer than 24 hours for me I’m not charging from 10% to full. I’m charging usually from 50% to full. I also leave it on the charger a bit longer than how long it takes me to shower as I put my watch back on after I’m done getting ready in the morning as opposed to immediately after getting out of the shower. I’m guessing I charge it for 30 minutes daily.

3 Likes

Yes… wife always forget to charge, so she it usually before she goes to school and it last the rest of the day

Regardless of specs, Apple will immediately start selling more of these than anything Garmin has on their menu. The aesthetics are monumentally important. I don’t think it is debatable that the average person would wear this but would never touch the technical looks of a Garmin product.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I thought. In fact when I first got my apple watch I was running (1.5 hours) with the AW on one wrist and Garmin Fenix 6s on the other, but now I just use the AW. I understand the perception you are describing, but honestly it’s just not true. I think a lot of this perception is from people who actually haven’t used an Apple Watch. Now with Watch OS9 the AW has structured workouts and I I’m not using my Fenix 6s for those either. The structured workouts on AW are an excellent implementation. Easy to plan them on the screen and double tapping the watch face for laps works well.

1 Like

This is not perspective, this is reality.

I do run workouts, I need structure Wo, apple watch was not doing that for me.

To me AW/Android Wear and Anything Garmin/Coros/Polar are in different brakets…

AW/Android are smart watches that you can use to do sports. AW is making an attempt to blur the line with its massive AW Ultra and to some degree watch OS 9. With the ultra Most people can finish a 17hr Ironman (hopefully with HR and power sensors enabled)

Garmin/Coros/Polar are sports watch you can use to receive notifications. You can do and 17 hour ironman and will last another 2/3 days without a charge.
Different use cases.

1 Like

I’m not much of a runner nor do I own an Apple Watch. But from the videos I have seen, watchOS 9 seems to include a lot of the things (more) serious athletes would want: heart rate zones, better support for running laps, etc. The Apple Watch Ultra also features another physical button, which is super important.

That information seems quite out of date to me. Judging by my wife’s SE, modern Apple Watches frequently last about a day-and-a-half, perhaps longer. (It depends on how often you interact with it, etc.) Unless you frequently do really, really long runs (as in several hours), your battery anxiety seems to be based on out-of-date information.

Was = past tense, no?
watchOS 9 was released today, so there are structured workouts on any supported Apple Watch (Series 4 and up, I think).

Correct…
but as a personal thing… i want a button to lap… i dont like touchscreens as main interface. Buts thats mostly personal and not against the watch perse

1 Like