Cycling Memes and Jokes

64 Likes

I once sent my partner to the store with the instructions ‘Bianchi blue shampoo bottle.’

Apparently this made navigating the women’s haircare section significantly easier.

9 Likes

Blue???

I don’t know how to respond to that.

17 Likes

21 Likes

Celeste is a shade of blue.

3 Likes

Well that’s a rabbit hole I didn’t expect to go down. Let the debate begin. Is it green? Is it blue?

“The pure celeste is known as Bianchi Green , referring to Bianchi, the famous italian company for bikes”

That is a blue for sure, and nowhere near the Bianchi color.

And from Bianchi themselves, “Depending on the time and place in history, Celeste, the unique color of Bianchi, has continued to evolve from the first inspiration of the pale sky blue of the Campionissimo Coppi era, to the recent adaptations of turquoise and fluor greens”

So maybe it’s both? It’s the dress all over again.

15 Likes

Very good, but can you do the same post but in meme form…?

4 Likes

14 Likes

I’d guess the Bianchi Green is based on verdigris, which has a rich history of usage for millennia as a green, albeit blue-green.

2 Likes

It’s teal!

1 Like

So are the TR bars blue or green?
Or Bianchi?

Actually, Inside and Outside are different colours!

2 Likes

It’s very close to aquamarine so it’s a mix of both blue and green. There is a whole spectrum of colors between green and blue.

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

I take it back. There’s a spectrum inside and outside. Moving on.

2 Likes

Pardon me for going full pedant but I had to go find out. :grimacing:

According to Merriam Webster, the word “celeste” does not exist in English.

In Spanish, which is my native language, “celeste” (seh-LES-teh) is defined simply as “light blue” and used as such. It’s also not a particular shade of light blue… just “light blue”.

In French, “céleste” (seh-LEST) does not appear to exist as a color according to a quick search of the Collins dictionary. Can’t be sure though, given the Wikipedia entry on heraldry. However, if it does exist as per Wikipedia, again it’s simply a light blue, similar to sky blue.

Both French and Spanish have homographs that mean “celestial” but that’s not relevant here.

There is NOTHING in either language to relate it to any shade of green. It’s a light blue.

1 Like

Celeste also exists as a word in Italian to mean pale blue/sky blue.

As Bianchi is an Italian company it would seem bizarre for them to use the wrong word to describe the colour of their own bikes!?

2 Likes

Except Bianchi themselves calling it a green.

2 Likes

Celeste, like any colour name can be a red herring. Hence, Pantone exists and before that non-branded colour specifications existed in the last couple centuries.

80s print ad starts with:

HATE IT. It’s an awful color. It’s called “celeste” which means “sky blue” which, obviously, it isn’t. It’s a wishy-washy green thats totally wrong for Bianchi.

Obviously, Bianchi the company exists in a continuum, but the employment of individuals who market it or influence their marketing and brand don’t. So, things change. They just didn’t use the word Pivot! back then.

If you search for “history of Bianchi colour”, you’ll get some decent theories and interesting history.

3 Likes

Is this why everyone just buys black bikes? :rofl:

14 Likes

Blimey this is getting deep

4 Likes
12 Likes