Have you ever used a multi-tool mid ride (road cycling)?

Same for the Tarmac.

Trek has a nifty magnetic one for the Checkpoint thats I keep on the rear wheel’s axle.

I hate people like this and their lack of self-awareness…

The idea that the answer would be “no” is kinda mind boggling to me. Then again I build my own bikes and even wheels, so I’m clearly far onto the “tinkerer” end of the spectrum.

My Soloist came with a lever-style thru axle where the lever can be pulled out and has a 4mm and 5mm Allen on it. Handy for saddle/stem adjustment. But with the array of Allen and Torx heads on a modern bike, no way I’m ever riding without a solid multitool.

4 Likes

My crank coming lose, clutch adjustment, cleat bolts getting lose

1 Like

Only really for minor adjustments after working on my bike. For example, rear or front derailleur limit screws, etc. I have a really small one from crank bros. It’s definitely heavy compared to everything else (like a tube or tire irons) but let’s just say I’ve never been dropped because I had to with me!

1 Like

Just broke a spoke mid-ride three days ago. Needed a multitool to true the wheel enough to get home. Metal rubbing on carbon is a no-no.

1 Like

I’ve used it on occasion for when my saddle suddenly going nose down after hitting a hard bump, or my handlebar angle moving from another big bump. Bottle cage a few times. Saddle height after getting new pedals. I carry a hefty crankbros m16 since getting into bike 5 years ago which is overkill, but it has everything.

2 Likes

I never needed mine, until today, and I’m glad I had it with me.

Would have been a long, long wait for a pi$$ed off wife.

1 Like

Hate is a strong word, but I certainly find it irritating. It’s usually the same folks who don’t have a tube/air, or have a tube that doesn’t have the right valve length, etc. Or that show up for a summer ride without enough hydration. If someone is new to cycling and still trying to figure things out, that’s cool. But the folks that consistently lean on others and have no desire to be self-sufficient, I just don’t get it and i tend to lose my patience.

As far as the multi-tool, there is always one on my bike, I use the little specialized swat thing that goes on the bottle cage. Never know it’s there unless you need it. Other than the cost, I struggle with why someone wouldn’t carry one. I guess if you are racing an uphill time trial and trying to save every gram, but I can’t think of any reason not to carry one if you aren’t racing.

2 Likes

Me too … along with 2 tire levers an old driver license to keep the 6mm from putting a hole in the tube and money. Oh and a schrader to presto adapter.

2 Likes

Yes, for occasional adjustments of various bits, plus I’ve used the chainbreaker at least twice - once for myself, and once for someone else on a group ride.

1 Like

Yes. Removing thru axles when putting a tube in for starters! Used the chain breaker on it to cobble a friend’s broken chain together well enough to get him home. Had to adjust various things on my or friends bikes after minor crashes or pothole hits including brake caliper adjustment, straightening up front wheel, straightening up shifters, bringing bars back to the right angle, etc. I’ve had a bottle cage come loose. I’ve had a spoke snap on a rim brake bike and was able to adjust other spokes to get the wheel straight enough that with the calipers open there was no rub and I could ride it home.

I can go thousands of miles without using it. But would never ride without one as when something does go wrong it’s often the difference between being able to ride home and calling an uber.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was joking because I’m one of those who don’t carry one. Although, I always carry a flat repair and extra food.

In my case I stopped for no particular reason, I took it out of my saddle bag and forgot about for a while. I just got used to not using one but this thread has convinced me to carry it again.

Loose stem faceplate was fun. I thought I was going crazy, but it felt like the bars were rotating a little on every bump, until a big bump sent them all the way down.

I had the original Sram eTap, so every few rides I felt like I had to so some sort of FD adjustment.

I also occasionally fiddle with my MTB control mounts in the middle of a ride.

I’ve yet to have mid-ride chain issues, but my multitool can do just about everything, including carrying spare links.

1 Like

Loose stem faceplate was fun. I thought I was going crazy, but it felt like the bars were rotating a little on every bump, until a big bump sent them all the way down.

I had this happen in a race years ago. By the end of the race my bars were tilted vertically down and I had to ride in the drops to maintain control, my levers pointed at the ground.

3 Likes

That’s more or less what made me wonder if there was a point in carrying a multi-tool or just the few allen keys I use more frequently.

The ones I own have a bunch of tools I never use but after reading this thread I’m realizing it’s worth carrying them just in case.

I’m not worried about the extra weight but about the space. For example, I was wondering if I had more chances of getting two flats than needed the additional tools. But I’ll got some ridenow tubes to carry for spares, I guess that solves the space issue.

2 Likes

I’m sure Ive tightened things that have come loose and I have used a chain tool on other folks bikes.

2 Likes

Those things are magic!

yep - seatpost for sure - same nose down issue on rough cobbles, thru axles, bottle cage adjustment to fit larger bottles

does recovering behind a guy on an S-Works Turbo Creo e-bike qualify as a tool? Asking for a friend :rofl:

5 Likes