New SRAM Red leaked

Just run a mix of XX1 and Red in the that case. What’s the issue?

The bike it is shown on is a Roubaix SL8, same as the diverge and crux, they aren’t natively UDH compatible, so that is what this modification piece allows for.

That would require workarounds like 5dev or more UDH road bikes…

Presumably a direct mount sram red group would have pushed UDH onto more road bikes.

It will be interesting to see more about these mods.
Some MTB companies seem to be selling replacement rear frame pieces that are legitimately UDH standard compatible.
I’m not sure that the 5DEV workaround is fully compliant and approved by UDH/SRAM. Not sure if it would offer the full purported benefits of UDH.

I recently had a spirited conversation with a cycling friend of mine - its getting scary how dominant and proprietary the SRAM ecosystem is getting.

They virtually have an answer for everything, and you almost cant go anywhere else outside of their ecosystem.

What does that mean? I felt more locked into having a Trek seat mast on my bike, versus having a sram drivetrain :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

MTBer? On road around here at least I still see shimano on the majority of bikes so certainly doesn’t seem like SRAM are dominant

1 Like

Sorry I am “working” and trying to process bike related things.

For proprietary I was talking about flattop stuff and how they seem to have (3) different chain types for different systems, such as its recommended that you run their chain and cassette together for whatever series and its different enough from other standard chains that you wouldn’t really want to use them.

For the “scary” part I am talking about the corporation as a whole (Zipp, Avid, Quarq, Time, Rockshox).

You want bike driveline - BAM AXS
You want a computer - BAM Hammerhead
Need wheels? - you got it pal, some zipps on the way.
Need some bibs - Bam Velocio at your door

I meant that their “brand” and ecosystem is getting so dominant that they pretty much just need to start manufacturing their own frames and they can almost have an entire system ready to roll off the floor. Users/consumers also don’t really have a “reason” not to use a SRAM product because they have so much and they perform so well.

SRAM purchased Time pedals and chose not to purchase the bike part of the business. I assume to not compete with their customers.

I’d be surprised if Shimano don’t launch an anti-competitive / antitrust at some point over this stuff. It’d go right through in European courts.

Very much harmful business practices.

I mentioned it in another thread somewhere but I felt that Transmission is just the start of them leveraging their brand on companies.

Oh you want T-type UDH? Well the bike needs to be speced with Rockshox and Zipp wheels… oh you dont want that, sorry SRAM AXS only for you just went up 18% and ya know transmission is hot right now.

They are kinda forcing other brands to chase (and hard at that) now and are pushing them to develop their parts inline with a standard they perfected.

Dont think im a hater - I just bought some Rival AXS stuff and am super excited to see what its all about.

Velocio is pretty good! :sunglasses:

I see what you’re getting at but don’t see that happening. Specialized has Roval… Santa Cruz Reserve. I don’t see them forcing their wheels on big companies. Next thing you know, Pon holdings, specialized, et. al. will not put their stuff and go Shimano. That would be a huge hit to the bottom line.

7 Likes

If looked at singularly like that then your correct, but every bike company manufactures something different.

I.E. SRAM has so many offerings now they can leverage their brand. In your example, they would push rockshox or their new electric motor something that frame manufacture doesn’t make.

They have a cheeky move with the frame manufactures right now. It’s just a thought, no other drivetrain manufacture currently has the spec’ing power sram does.

I’ll grant you the flattop chain and lack of 3rd party alternatives, but I knew that going in and it hasn’t been a problem. Love the Quarq PMs, and I haven’t done it but you can use them with Shimano chainrings and drivetrain. Hard pass on Zipp wheels, Hammerhead bike computer, and Velcro bibs.

Haven’t paid attention to Transmission.

1 Like

Yikes. I get a saddle sore just thinking about that :joy:

4 Likes

:rofl:

In the current bike industry climate, SRAM is doing what everyone else is by consolidating. They do sell under more brands than some, but Shimano also makes wheels, pedals and components (under the Pro brand) not to mention shoes and clothes, they just sell most of it as Shimano. Pon owns a bunch of brands plus Reserve wheels, Fox owns Easton and Race Face, Specialized and Trek both have in-house component and wheel brands.

SRAM will definitely offer bargain pricing on OEM builds across their portfolio, but no way they’d try to strong-arm a company by denying components unless they spec everything SRAM. UDH was created as open-source and provided to the whole industry, and honestly it’s great to be able to find a replacement hanger nearly anywhere. In general the cross-compatibility of SRAM (you can run any AXS shifter with any derailleur or dropper, MTB, gravel or road) is great and really handy.

3 Likes

If they aren’t tying the goods together in an uncompetitive manner, there is no case to be had.

And if any company is gonna be sensitive to that fact, it is SRAM. Literally the only reason they are alive today is because they sued Shimano and won when Shimano was doing discounts if OEM customers bought full Shimano groups, attempting to ace SRAM / Grip Shift out of the market.

5 Likes

If only we were so lucky lol