šŸ“£ Polarized Plan Updates! šŸ“£

This is frighteningly inaccurate. There is a reason intent to treat is the gold standard. Compliance is a part of real world effectiveness.

Nonetheless, Iā€™d be cautious drawing any real conclusions regardless, as other folks have mentioned self selection likely means you canā€™t adequate control for differences between pol and non-pol athletes.

This is a bug we are looking into. For now, Iā€™d recommend manually swapping that for a productive or achievable Threshold workout (if you are in Base), or a VO2max or Threshold workout (if you are in Build).

3 Likes

I donā€™t have any visuals or further break down to share as of now. This is something we need to get better at.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: I didnā€™t mean to imply that controlling for compliance means we think the compliance rate of a plan is unimportant or that it shouldnā€™t be analyzed in an intention-to-treat manner.

Compliance rate is a big focus of ours, and one of the things we hope to see improve with these changes.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jonathan. I want to make sure Iā€™m understanding correctly. Polarized plans have a high percentage of endurance workouts, if youā€™re endurance progression level is higher (mines only 5 at the moment) then to create a novel stimulus and adaptation you end up doing a number of higher PL endurance workouts and those inherently are longer in duration. Therefore if you are a time crunched athlete like myself (I can usually get in 4-6 hours of structured training a week, but only 1 hour on work days early in the morning) then these polarized plans may not be the best option for you.

I did the polarized plans at the end of 2022 to switch things up and focus on base building. I really enjoy the different approaches TR has to plans. Between SSB, Traditional and Polarized (not to mention all the specialty plans) it gives a lot of flexibility to adapt your training to your life stresses and commitments. Thanks for all the hard work!

1 Like

I think it would be tough with your schedule since you are limited to 1hr per day during the week. You could use Workout Alternates to pick 1hr long endurance workouts, but at that point there are likely more efficient ways to train amongst the other options you pointed out. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear youā€™re finding all of the flexibility useful!

ITT is a concept in prospective RCTs, Iā€™m not sure that your use here is quite correct. Controlling for confounders in retrospective data is different from trying to identify compliance issues in an RCT.

2 Likes

ITT is not exclusively a concept in RCTs, and whether a study is prospective or retrospective has no bearing. If youā€™re trying to compare two interventions, controlling away adherence is a good way to get the wrong answer.

2 Likes

Not the point of whatā€™s being discussed here anyway, but the point of ITT analysis is to maintain the proper randomization that occurred at the outset of a trial. That said, I think we all take your point that compliance/palatability is important. See @OreoCookie suggestion above:

1 Like

Awesome news. Iā€™ve been in polarised for 2 seasons now and find them really spot on given that Iā€™m adding high intensity weight training to cycling workouts. Another fantastic update TR team!

5 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle of Polarized Build after having completed Polarized Base. I did not use Plan Builder and am wondering if I delete my existing Polarized Build (after noting the start date per Jonathanā€™s instructions) then add the updated Polarized Build on the same start date, would doing so only change my workouts going forward? Or would I loose all the previous workouts/data/etc. that I have already completed for this Build?

Thanks in advance. I just started w/ TR after riding very inconsistently for many years and I am super enjoying the Polarized plans and structured training!

1 Like

Whenever Iā€™ve deleted a plan before any and all workouts that had been completed up to that point have stayed on the calendar.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been a SS user on TR for all my plans for 4+ years. This update has interested me enough to give it a go for my rebuild later in the season. Which will be 3 weeks of polarized Base, polarized Build then RRR Specialty. Excited to try something new and compare results.

6 Likes

I really want to try these plans but on the fence. Mostly because work during the week and 2 hours of endurance wonā€™t happen. I know longer is better, but what about back to back 90 minute endurance rides?

I could consistently do that, I just wonder if Iā€™m missing the forest for the trees or whatever that quote it :joy:

2 Likes

The mid-volume plans only have 2+ hour rides once during the work week. If youā€™re saying you could do 90, but not 120-150 during the week, I would think you can shorten that one endurance workout to 90 and then add the additional minutes back on the long weekend ride without altering the spirit of the plan too much.

9 Likes

Whatā€™s the reasoning behind limiting Base phase workouts to Threshold zone only?

2 Likes

A significant portion of athletes following these plans noted that they wanted to avoid VO2max work in the Base Phase. From a coaching perspective, this change allows athletes to reside within the Polarized framework and still get the appropriate balance of low and high intensity work in order to build aerobic base.

2 Likes

Alright, so what if I am the exact opposite of those athletes? i.e. I much prefer doing vo2max over threshold - I am more likely to attempt (and/or complete) a vo2max workout over a threshold one at a similar level of intensity.

Should I stick to build plans throughtout the season? Or attempt base, but swap thr for vo2max?

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest your latter approach and swap your Threshold workout for a Productive VO2max workout. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cool, thanks!

1 Like