Rocker Plates for Trainers

Got busy on my day off last week. Lots of links in Chad’s group on Facebook for those considering a build or looking for ideas and options.

Comfort for me on the trainer hasn’t really ever been an issue however with some time & cash to burn it tickled my fancy.

Having watched my top tube on the rollers I found that I really don’t need a huge amount of movement when seated. The extra ‘throw’ when out of the saddle is quite nice and notable on the Rocker plate though.

Could well have done this with a single sheet of MDF but owning a coupe doesn’t let itself well to transporting 6x4ft sheets of MDF… and I also wanted something a little wider than 600mm at the rear.

Staples in the covering are temporary :shushing_face:

I move my trainer in & out of the garage so stuck a cupboard handle on the rear to give a backstop and point of reference.

6 tennis balls were good enough for me. I have an additional pillow bearing, to make 6 in total, that I will fit the next time it’s apart as the middle flex’s when stepping on/off but with such little clearance between the tops of the bearing housing and the bases it’s really not an issue, nor a springboard.

Fashioned some blocks to reduce rock by raising the balls up slightly, not fixing them to the base allowed for easy play/fettling.

5 Likes