Scratch resistant prescription glasses

Glad go above and beyond to keep a customer

The Holbrook I got are larges, they are big. As sunglasses, they are perfect! Almost no light leakage, and I got the vermillion mirror coating, and one pic after a ride makes me look like a red eyed bug-eyed monster with hair sticking out at bizarre angles. Quite a sight, but those glasses are worth their weight in gold pressed latinum for sure, for my face. (think I spelled that right)

Like your carā€™s paint, the problem youā€™re running into here is coating hardness. Thereā€™s the lens hardness and the coating hardness (on the front and back). Whenever you see ā€œin house coatingsā€ like on Roka, youā€™re likely getting something subpar from a branded coating like Crizal. The coatings can be technically difficult to apply. They can be fine, they can also be s*** depending on what lab theyā€™re getting the lenses done at. Iā€™ve had regular Poly rx lenses from a good eye doctorā€™s office scratch from next to nothing and Iā€™ve had unkillable lenses.

Trivex looks better on paper, but doesnā€™t really do anything for you in the real world.

As for good rx sunglass lenses, Iā€™ve had good luck with Oakley for new and Lensabl for basic replacement. Sportrx has been hit or miss on getting the lens right (curved RX lenses are always hit or miss in my experience) but their durability was high. I think Go-Optic has the most customizable.

Another issue is the oleophobic (oil / smudge resistant) coatings wearing off. This is where the grease sticks to your lens (which might be your issue). 1) the cleaning wipes remove this coating, donā€™t use these on your phone or glasses - basically donā€™t use them. 2) you can try Fusso Crystal Armour to replace it. Protecting Your Smartphones Oleophobic Coating - Mobile Screen Fix 3) Take your glasses to your eyedoctor and have them toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner. This should loosen all the sticky oils clinging to the lens.

Iā€™ve had pretty good luck with Oakley lenses.

1 Like

Anti glare coating must be the outermost layer and tend not to be the most scratch proof layer. Avoid anti glare if you want better scratch protection

Only true for glass lenses ( some ant-glare coatings are harder than glass) and we shouldnā€™t be wearing those on the bike, anti glare coatings are harder and therefore more scratch resistant than the underlying plastic lens.
Lens coatings: anti-reflective, hard layer, CleanCoat, etc. (zeiss.com)

Notice the image near the top? See where the hard coating is in comparison to the anti reflective layer? Under it. So the anti reflective layer can be scratched