Tacx Neo 2T vs Wahoo Kickr V5 recommendations based on vibrations

Do you have a Preference for ride feel? Do you feel that one of the trainers, the wahoo kickr or Tacx Neo 2, has a smoother ride feel?

Andy,

It probably comes down to personal preference since ā€œfeelā€ is subjective. I really like the 2020 KICKR, and that includes the feel. My wife prefers the NEO 2.

If it were myself, judging between the two of them with experience, I would purchase the 2020 KICKR over the NEO. FWIW.

1 Like

Year ago I replaced NEO 2T with KICKRv4. The reason was disc brake compatibility and crazy rear spacing with spacer. Subjectively for me KICKR is quieter and smoother. But itā€™s very personal of course.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had 2 x Neo 2T burn out failures now.

First one after 4 months that was replaced under warranty.
Second one after another 3 months. I have to wait until some time in February for the next replacement to ship due to lack of stock which is far from ideal.

Iā€™m currently wishing Iā€™d gone with the KICKR

Thatā€™s why I go for Wahoo products generally (including the Kickr over other trainers). In my personal experience Wahoo give fantastic support and repair/replace service, even beyond the strict terms of warranty on a couple of occasions.

My first Neo (1. Gen 2016) also had overheating problem (red light of death). Wonder if and why this is still a problemā€¦(@GPLama or @dcrainmaker any more insights?)ā€¦If a fan inside gets stuck there should be an option to fix by oneself. Or is there always damaged/burnt parts inside?
Otherwise pretty happy with Neo!

Do you still have your slight preferences of one over the other and could you explain why? Do you have the wahoo hill climb on the kickr 5 or ever plan to get one?

I have had a Neo 2T for 6 months and I am really happy with it so far. I find that it can become a bit noisy when I use sim mode in Zwift at speeds above 30 kph (like 20 mph).
For TR I use ERG mode and an easy gear for a low flywheel speed and itā€™s really really silent (no issues with our small children sleeping next door).

1 Like

Not really. It comes down to personal preference. No, I do not have the Wahoo Hill Climb nor have plans to obtain one.

Brando thanks for the reply!!
I picked the Wahoo kicker V5 but there were delays after my patience ran out I gave them a call 3rd parparty vendor and they called Wahoo central and they could not provide a delivery date essentially Wahoo said all production had stopped. This was Oct 2020 so I cancelled the order and Ordered a Tacx Neo 2T and so far I have been happy with it, 3 months of usage. IĀ“m still not 100% sure what the three lights mean Red, Green, and Blue. Power, Bluetooth but the Green light comes somtime other times no??? (I know hit the Googler) Additionally, I find that I get better functionalities between my phone vs my laptop. So far so good. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to dig this up again, but in the same boat as the OP. Have a elite drivo ii that I have issues with in erg mode. I was thinking of cutting my losses and switching to one of these but reading this post hasnā€™t helped me decide one or the other. :joy::joy:

The reports of Neo failures does worry me even though they seem to replace them. Then the issue of power drift on kickr v5 puts me off them. Reading this post has confused me even more. So undecided

1 Like

FWIW, I ended up getting the TACX NEO2T, and have completed a full TR Gran Fondo Tng Plan Mid Volume. Started in November 2020 just finish May 2021. I have had no issues with the NEO2T works like a champ quiet.Kids, wife and neighbors arenā€™t bothered when i ride during the witching hours.
Was going to buy Kicker V5 but in the October 2020 time frameWahoo had supply chain issues could not comment on delivery dates so I went to TACX and have not looked back. Very happy and would recommend the product.

5 Likes

Thanks Junio - i am in exactly the same position as you were a few months back and your update here really helps. I have been pondering between kicker and neo 2t for a while but I think i will go ahead and pull the trigger for Neo 2T.

It looks like 2T is amazing, except when you get unlucky and it breaks.

Fingers crossedā€¦

I have both. Kickr V5 with Climb and Headwinds, and the Neo 2T. Both are good. What I like more in the Neo itā€™s the lateral flexibility. The bike move a little bit. Better for the sprint and itā€™s a bit more comfortable. For the Kickr, I like the dual Bluetooth connection.

Tested both , canā€™t go wrong with either, bought the Kickr V5, just because I preferred the response over the flywheel compared to the magnets and the build. Just love the black steel frame of the Kickr. Both super silent, both very good. Both solid choices

2 Likes