XC Race Tire Thread

This sounds backward to me, unless climbing traction is at an absolute premium. Most go for a grip pier tyre up front, so the rear breaks free first. Maybe cornering isn’t a huge factor?

After the first 100k, the reckon race has very poor pedalling/braking traction. Very noticeable compared to Aspen, where the traction remains after some wear. They both use 3c (three rubber compounds), but the nature of Aspen lugs (spacing and shape/size) leave more after the soft outer has worn off.

Pirelli’s approach of a single compound produces really good, consistent traction through its life.

1 Like

I had the same thought about it being backward. Also, Russel Finsterwald appears to agree.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CR-BFLGMO0C/

Personally Aspen Front and Rear is the best I’ve ever ridden.

1 Like

I’m still looking for feedback on the new Fast Trak Specialized released this year. Does it grip better on the front in the turns than the old Fast Trak?

1 Like

I’m thinking of doing the double S-works renegade T5/T7 for Cape Epic. Seems like mostly a gravel race with some tech sections that I will most likely not push hard.

Thoughts on this?

1 Like

Given the length of Cape Epic, I’d go for regular control casing rather than s-works, since a sidewall puncture/tear is usually a pretty difficult one to manage and often requires booting the tire.

Otherwise i’m interested in the new renegade and plan to give them a shot. They look like a slightly faster rolling semi-slick which I’ve always enjoyed in the rear or f/r as a gravel tire

5 Likes

I would definitely use a harder casing at the Cape Epic as it does look tough on tyres.

2 Likes

what width ?

For the UCI XCC (short track) race yesterday, Jenny Rissveds won on Specialized’s new Fast Trak tires. The rest of the Specialized racers seemed to be running Renegades.

Looked like Mathias was using a Racing Ralph in front. I thought that trend had died off (I’m pretty sure he also still goes 2.2 often).

I definitely saw some ThunderBurts too.

Looking for suggestions for tyre choice. Have a 50k race coming up that’s mostly on doubletrack/farm roads but also has several rocky river crossings. I’m running vittoria Mazzas now to mess around on the local trails but thinking of something lighter and better rolling for the race.

Racing Ray / Ralph Front and Thunder Burt rear does it for me 2.35. or 2.25 if it is more farm roads.

1 Like

The aforementioned Schwalbes or any of the super fast-rollling XC tires (Conti RaceKing Protection, Maxxis Aspen/Rekon Race/Ikon, Vittoria Mezcal, Specialized Fast Trak, etc) are probably ideal for a course like that.

Or if you’re willing to give up some seconds in exchange for a better all-around tire that’s still fast (to leave on instead of the Mazzas) you could go with the best tire ever made (Maxxis Rekon) or similar (Vittoria Barzo, Conti Cross King, Specialized Ground Control, etc).

I’m currently looking at changing the stock Specialized Ground Control 2.35 on my 2022 Epic Evo to something lighter with a slightly faster tread design. I think the S-Works casing is probably just to thin and not something I want in a marathon race so I would most likely go with the Control Casing, either in the Specialized Fast Track and/or Renegade combo.

I do have a question about this. In the front I will go with the 2.35 fast track but in the rear I’m not sure if I should go with a 2.35 Renegade or 2.2 fast track? Is there an advantage to run a faster tread (renegade) in a wider tire as opposed to running a slightly slower tread (fast track) but in a narrower size?

So I’m basically wondering if tracking/speed would be better with lower tread/faster pattern but wider rubber as oppose to higher tread/slower tread but in narrower rubber?

There might be not clear answer but I would like to have the most all-around tire combo possible and would like to try something else than my previous Ikon/Rekkon combo.

Do you ride in mud? If so don’t use the Renegade. Right now I’m using the Renegade Control 2.3 on the rear with a Ground Control 2.3 in the front for the leaves that are starting to fall. This spring I’m going to try the new 2.35 Fast Trak in front with a new 2.35 Renegade in the rear. I love the Renegade in the rear but I don’t ride in muddy conditions. When muddy I have a Gravel bike to ride gravel, a road bike to ride road, or a Stages Bike to ride in my basement.

Does anyone have any insight as to when the new Schwalbe tyres will be available?

Seems they haven’t restocked any tyres anywhere in anticipation of the new 2022 versions, but I am hoping to get a few options for summer.

I’m actually about to switch my 2.3 for a 2.35 fast trak

1 Like

Let us know how you like it compared to the old Fast Trak.

I also have 2.35 fast track on order in the control casing. Hopefully they won’t be too fragile as my all-around every day and race day tires. I really loved the older fast track so finger’s crossed on the new one. I’m especially hopeful front grip will be a little better with the new rubber compound and tread pattern.

1 Like

Anyone seen this floating about the interwebs? Doddsy from GMBN has been raving about it.

I’m not convinced it’s such an incredible leap forwards. A heavy and stiff sidewalls 60tpi tyre without the traction of an equivalent weight 120tpi trail tyre with an insert :man_shrugging:.