XC Race Tire Thread

Personally I run much lower pressures than that - at 22/25 I think they would slide around quite a bit.

How much do you weigh and what bike?

1 Like

Thanks. 155 lb (no gear).
Its a chisel.

I weight about the same. Tires pressures are very individual and dependent on where/what you’re riding, but I run mine as low as 18-19 sometimes without inserts. I even had 2.35 FT’s down to 16-17 without inserts when it was wet/loose, but you have to be pretty careful of ricks in those cases.

1 Like

I would agree with Mr Fenwick, 22/25psi sounds like quite a lot more than someone as light as you would need for optimal traction and rolling resistance.

Unless you’re riding a lot of quite gnarly rooty/rocky sections at a very hard-charging speed (which I assume not based on your bike choice) that would mean you’re contacting the rim a heap, then try dropping down a smidgen (regardless of tyre).

There are definitely differences in suppleness though between tyre brands and tyre models within brands also. It may be that your previous set were just nicer tyres. Schwalbe tyres in general I find have a beautiful suppleness and level of traction. I’m currently trying some Vittoria tyres that are not as supple, nor as soft/grippy compound.

1 Like

Are you running the old 2.3 Fast Trak or the new 2.35 Fast Trak? They are different tires with different tread patterns.

1 Like

I agree. The old 2.3 Ground Control has more cornering grip than the new 2.35 Fast Trak. It all depends on what you are using it for. The Fast Trak is a lighter tire and probably rolls a little faster.

Are there XC tires that work reasonably well on pavement? I’ll be using my hardtail for some gravel events and rides next year, so there’s usually a fair bit of pavement. I know I won’t be on any podiums!

I was thinking maybe Conti Race Kings or Schwalbe Thunderburts for example. They seem to be comparable (or faster) than some dedicated gravel tires on bicyclerollingresistance.com

Thanks!!!

What about for cornering?
less than 22/25psi for someone at 155lbs (same as me) sounds like it’s going to squirm and “roll” in corners? At least that’s my experience on 30mm rims with 2.4" - 2.5" tires. I can see getting away with it in terms of pinch flats no issues however

1 Like

Thank you everyone.
Apparently I am running the old Fast Trak (unexpected as this is a recent build).
And yes, nothing too gnarly on my usually rides. Mostly oldschool xc.
I’ll try dropping a couple psi at a time. I read somewhere that these tires tend to fold under 22 psi so that’s why I didn’t go much lower, but a couple psi at a time and testing before pushing it and I should be fine.
I do have the RRay/RRalph combo on the radar. My lbs is out of stock but as soon as they get them I will definitely give those a try.

1 Like

I don’t have 30mm wide rims so I’m not sure if that’d change things or not. I do think rim shape and tyre casing have an effect, plus obviously insert use.

You have to try it for yourself, I’d have thought you wouldn’t have issues but with race casing, no inserts, and hard riding, I could definitely imagine squirming.

Maxxis Aspens, Kenda Sabres

2 Likes

Are XC tires typically compatible with hookless rims? I know there’s alot of talk about compatibility on the road side of things, but I thought hookless was more common for MTB.

MTB tubeless is dialed at this point, road is still a little off from what I can tell. To answer your question, yes, any high quality tire is going to come tubeless ready, aka hookless compatibile. XC or otherwise.

3 Likes

Looking to get the Racing Ray/Thunder Burt combo. Can anyone elaborate on the difference in feel/rolling resistance between the Super Ground and Super Race versions?

Will mostly be riding flowy single trail with roots and very little stones or technical features.

1 Like

The SuperRace with the tan wall is very supple in the side wall. More so than the black rubber versions I have.

1 Like

I have used both and can’t really tell a difference but the Super Race looks cool in Tanwall a little lighter and a layer less protection although I have never had a puncture with them.

2 Likes

Why does Maxxis recommend Rekon Race as a rear-only tire? Yet all of the XC bikes that spec them brand new have them both front and rear. The aspen seems to roll better than the rekon race as a rear tire, is lighter, and to me, the rekon race also has more grip up front. Even the performance ratings on the Maxxis site gives a higher cornering and braking rating to the rekon race vs the aspen.

Updating: not long after the post above the fast track punctured for no apparent reason and check it back at home I noticed a small piece ripped off. Those tire were done for me. Luckily the Schwalbes were back in stock but not on an ideal combination: Performance compound, 2.25 and Racing Ray only. Got two of those and not I am running them at 18 (f) and 20 (b) psi.
I can now confidently say that a relevant aspect that makes fast tracks not ideal for me is that the side knobs are tapered, which goes against my old tires and so I unconscious rely on them.
btw: any easy ways of getting dried sealant off the tire? There has to be a better way than prying it off with fingers and/or a piece of plastic.
Edit: forgot to mention I have some Nukeproof ARD on the way. The extra grip from lower tire pressure is addictive.

I don’t see any reason to run anything other than an Aspen 2.4 exo, aside from mud. Even then, I did the Barn Burner 100 last year, and the last lap was nothing but torrential rain, and my tires were the least of my concerns.

2 Likes

How’s your Burt going?

I did a course recon the past weekend with my Ray and Ralph. Part of me wishes I’d had the Burt to trial given how crazy dry it is. I washed out the Ray a couple of times, but mostly user error.

I wouldn’t want to go less grip on the front and the Ray is such a good pattern and compound. I wish the Barzo was as grippy compound wise as the Schwalbe’s, it’s got just that much more grip from the pattern (I think).