Apple WatchOS 10: Added FTP Estimation and Power Meter Connectivity

Haptic feedback can indicate intervals. You could have audio cues to time remaining. My head unit beeps at me when I’m exceeding power. It’s feasible to solve these problems with a little thinking and an ingenuity.

Just think of how clean the handlebars would be without a head unit. I dream of the day I get rid of my clunky 530

1 Like

I wonder what the sensor data from Apple Watch is and how it is incorporated into the algos?

HR seems likely, not sure how skin temperature would fit.

I haven seen no mention of a subjective feedback questionnaire…

Will be interesting to see TR users’ feedback on their Apple Watch FTP compared to their TR AI FTP.

1 Like

different strokes for different folks, i’d rather just have the information in front of me and have to glance at my watch or do other things to change data screens while riding

5 Likes

Yes totally agree, the fact that it needs HR data to predict the FTP is intestesting, as it does indicate/hint that it not just “max effort”, but that’s just a guess reading into words

Like I said in my first post, all this is interesting (as much from a intent point of view as anything) , and I’d be interested to know where they got this “technology” and what it is, as it could indicate that they are already working with somebody, I would expect that if they had bought somebody we would have heard about this first

I expect we won’t fully know until the release of WatchOS 10,

1 Like

If Apple wants to acquire TR, they will reach out to TR.

There’s no way Apple doesn’t know about TR. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are hundreds of TR users who work at Apple in Cupertino.

3 Likes

WatchOS 10 beta is out for devs now. Public beta in July so we’ll be able to check it out in a month or so

I know of a few :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah, none of these watch features are new. They are just catching up to what Garmin’s multi-sport watches have been doing since the late 2000s. 95% of the audience connecting a power meter will want a head unit to display information, be it power/hr data, routes, or just time.

7 Likes

yup. Will be nice feature if I ever forget to pack my Garmin Edge.

Guess this means Apple Watch will estimate vo2max for cycling.

You could pick one of these up https://bikling.carrd.co/

Tell 'em to get on it!

If it’s true that Apple is beginning to target niche applications, that would be awesome.

I’m heavily into the Apple ecosystem but haven’t bought a Watch since Gen 1 because it was too “enthusiast” oriented. Didn’t really need a device to tell me to stand up.

1 Like

There is no way I want to rely on haptic feedback for 30/30s. I’d be looking at my watch constantly, which would literally be a pain. Also, Apple Watches die so fast. I don’t want to use up half of my battery to do a workout with all those Bluetooth connections. Then throw in wrist based HR reliability and I would just never do this.

Now, having said that, if the app on the phone will do all those things, I could see this being a low end cycling computer killer.

2 Likes

They are probably don’t see them as serious competition yet. That will change when apple figure out how to make a watch that can last a week between changes.

People try to put apple vs Garmin. They are not even on the same realm. Apple is a smart watch that can do sports, Garmin is a sport watch that can receive notifications. Different target audience

3 Likes

I prefer my Garmin, but here you go.

For the AI FTP fans I’ll just say my Garmin 530 has given me good estimates since early 2020 and with sub-max efforts. It uses machine learning. A huge data set is not necessary. Thats not a knock against AI FTP, but we’ve seen that like Garmin the accuracy of the estimate might be really good or a bit off.

5 Likes

Prob know a bit more tomorrow

6 Likes

So TrainingPeaks says they’re adopting the APIs for syncing structured workouts to Apple Watch.

That’d be cool for TR outdoor rides!

The video isn’t up yet, but I think this is what TrainingPeaks will be adopting:

5 Likes

This isn’t going to be much use to those who use a cycling headunit today, but the very fact they’ve added the live activity stuff to use an iPhone as a second display shows they understand the space they are entering.

Give it a generation or two and I think they’ll be trying to present a compelling case to drop your cycling headunit.

3 Likes

I have a headunit and a watch. No way I would look at my wrist while I’m cycling outdoors.

3 Likes

The best part of using a watch for cycling is the fact that you DON’T look at it while riding.

One of my favorite things is riding my bike and not having a head unit telling me how dreadfully slow I’m moving along.

That being said, I do like to have some stats to review and upload to Strava after the ride is over. So it’s pretty sweet having a watch on my wrist that can capture all of my stats without being intrusive like a head unit.

4 Likes