Bike fit Q - Quads Not Engaging

Wondering if anyone has any insight - google gives me a million different answers - recently have started to notice when seated and doing threshold efforts that my quads don’t seem to be engaging, this is causing pain in my knee as a result. Can make the power but certainly feels limited.

I’ve had a proper fit done previously, there doesn’t seem to be any large variation to that but this has crept in recently.

Anyone had this before and have any quick solutions to check?

I dont think its possible to pedal without you quads engaged. The quads is what makes your legs push down.

2 Likes

Forget pedaling, It’s not possible to do much of anything without engaging your quads. I know this from having an injured quad.

I’m very skeptical that muscles “not engaging” is even a real thing other than maybe something like engaging your core when squatting to keep your torso rigid or rock climbing when you need the tension to stay on the wall.

Check that your saddle is in the same position over the BB as when you felt normal. I’ve had mine creep back ever so slowly over time until it was a large enough delta that I could feel something was not right.

Haven’t had it happen but, same for saddle height. Check it didn’t drop a little. Or both…

1 Like

Lmao! This is what I thought when reading the OP. Not to poke too much fun at OP, but that is simply just not possible.

Your quads are definitely engaging. That said, there can definitely be discrepancies between sides. I have to constantly work through a twisted pelvis, which if I’ve not been consistent with mobility and strength work can get out of whack fairly quickly. When this happens, my left quad feels like it’s “not engaging” and I get some discomfort along the medial side of my left knee. The left quad is definitely smaller and weaker than the right.

So, appreciate that you’ve had a proper bike fit, but often bike fits are done looking at one side and also don’t take into account day to day changes with your body. What id do is line up an appt with a physio and see if you can get an idea of any imbalances that may stick out to a trained eye - this is hundreds times more valuable than going back to a fitter, who may or may not actually understand biomechanics.

Maybe ….If the feeling is that you have to push down with your leg, like you were sitting in a chair, it could be your cleats need to be a bit further back.