Calculating LT1 and LT2 approximately without a blood test?

@kurt.braeckel I have interacted with you off and on since I first joined (Fall 2018) and have not once thought your contributions were motivated by anything other than a desire to learn, inform, and participate. If you happen to pick up a few athletes along the way, awesome (coaches FTW, and coaching if you want to win lol :joy:)

Frankly I think that is what motivates most of us who are still around. Kudos :+1:

To me itā€™s really obvious when it gets too far away from the exchange of experiences and ideas.

4 Likes

Thanks, that is why Iā€™m still here. I learn a lot, and it makes researching interesting things a lot easier when there are others out there already doing and thinking about these things. There are several really, really good threads on this forum that Iā€™ve gravitated toward. Tremendously valuable discussions go on here that have nothing to do with TR, so Iā€™m glad they allow us to have the forum to discuss these ideas!

And disclosure: Iā€™m still a long grandfathered paying subscriber even though I rarely use the platform anymore. Still good to be up on what goes on with it as many of my club mates use it and ask questions about it.

5 Likes

I echo @tshortt commentsā€¦

I have not been as active in the last few months (years) with my take on various points. You have generally already covered it.
And as with any good discussion, on the rare occasion we might have had different views, it has been good to have my beliefs challenged, so I do my research and learn directly or indirectly.

Love your input to the sweet-spot thread, which I used to comment on, alot, but can no longer add anything too.

Keep the insights coming

2 Likes

So this season and last Iā€™ve been mostly spot checking lactate levels during workouts to monitor workout intensity for some key workouts. A big change for me this year is using a Cp estimate from the 3 minute all out test. Itā€™s difficult to execute inside on rollers, but from what i understand, as long as wā€™ is exhausted by about 2 minutes in, power reaches a stable reading.

Also Iā€™m using a block training method of planning my microcycles, started with z2 focus, then tempo, just finished a ss block and will move on to a vo2 block next. This is inspired by the classic data about adaptions to a new stimulus occurring within 1 to 2 weeks then stabilizing after about 6 sessions.

Progress is coming along nicely, i definitely need to work the middle zone due to my muscular phenotype. Wrestling and skiing favor glycolytic energy systems and in general mountain biking does as well.

Lactate after 95/105 sets went from 8 mmol down to 6 and lactate at 75% of my ftp estimate was still right around baseline (1.5 mmol for me).

So for my estimates of lt1, i was using point were respiratory rate goes above 15 which appears to be just the inflection point in my lactate curve. I will want to do a running assessment soon to see if my curve has changed shape since i last did one of those for running a few years ago.

15 watts below my Cp estimate seemed a really good point to use for training, it was definitely higher than a ramp would have estimated, but no workout was ever in danger of failure.

5 Likes

Real quick (donā€™t want to stray off topic) but what did you use to get CP? Two efforts? Three effort estimate? Or something based on 3 mins that Iā€™m not familiar with?

Iā€™ve blocked them all by not being on Twitter.

2 Likes

Since you did the nscyd test i thought you were familiar with the overpaced 3 minutes Cp estimate. Iā€™ll try to say overpaced from now on instead of all-out. Itā€™s a horrible 3 minutes, but when compared to a ramp test i recover from it much quicker.

I am familiar with that. Youā€™re right :+1:. Cool

always difficult to listen to while riding, the only time when I listen to podcasts. However, this was mainly about LT2/MLSS/FTP and so, correct? Not really about AeT/LT1.

I couldnā€™t care less about LT2/MLSS. I see no value in knowing this threshold. Quite contrary to AeT/LT1.

3 Likes

Completely agree. If Kolie thinks everyone is still using lactate to try to get at LT2/MLSS (besides Darth for fun), heā€™s out of touch (heā€™s not in generalā€¦but seems like it regarding why use lactate)

RPE, I guess. So why do I need a power meter then?

1 Like

Seems reasonable. :+1:

Iā€™m also the only one on the planet (evidently) who doesnā€™t trust RPE and marvels at how ā€œfeelā€ has become SO scientific now. It isnā€™t ā€œfeelā€ anymore, itā€™s RPE. Because a different word makes it acceptable :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

For well trained athletes LT1 is not slow

2 Likes
  1. In a thread titled ā€œCalculating LT1 and LT2ā€¦ā€
  2. most of the literature on endurance training
  3. when you have dubious and unproven ways of measuring a lower level of intensity that is in many cases more important than an upper threshold
  4. get some insight into metabolism during exercise

Sometimes.

Question: what if we had an indirect marker for when Type IIa fibers were starting to be recruited (in a non-trivial way)? Useful? Not useful? And how would you use that information, if you had it? And maybe you donā€™t have a marker for that. Butā€¦maybe you do.

2 Likes

I am not saying it is useless. I am saying it is a very unpractical, not so relevant tool. You need a lab and/or expensive equipment. You cannot use it outside. You need time to see the results.
Power meters on the other handā€¦

My ftp is 3.8 mmol. So? What am I supposed to do with it? Is there a realtime, non-invasive and practical meter out there? You know, like a power meter.

2 Likes

Yes, those are some of the limitations. They are real. We search for other ways.

You forgot one: the cost of the strips starts to add up like ink for a printer

He said at the start that the title was click-baity.

Reading, er listening, between the lines, it seems like Kolie has been playing with lactate. Iā€™m not sure if that is a new thing for him but Iā€™ve never heard him mention it before.

He didnā€™t say it was useless. He was kind of suggesting the longer stages similar to ISMā€™s protocol. He was also suggesting using the power duration curve as a jumping off point so you didnā€™t have to use so many strips.

Iā€™m going to have to listen again but I donā€™t think I ever heard how a power meter makes lactate testing obsolete other than to test LT2/FTP.

1 Like

Another WindWarrior voodoo post: for me its dropping cadence to 40-60rpm, with power at roughly 80% FTP. I donā€™t bother looking at torque on my head unit, but thatā€™s an option. I do review per-ride torque histograms in WKO. Practically speaking that appears to result in an increase in muscular endurance and along with it long steady state performance (20+ minute time trials). My SPECULATION is that its related to making Type IIa fibers more aerobic, but it could be from increasing fatigue resistance of Type 1 fibers. Or both. Or neither. I spent a minute discussing with my coach, and since it was speculation we dropped the topic and moved on to a more productive conversation. In any case, Iā€™m going to claim the evidence I have is that this type of effort is a training adaptation that works for me. I primarily use this during base, however Iā€™ve also seen boosts in performance mid-season after doing long tempo climbs at low cadence (a natural consequence of being 3W/kg with road gearing).

Back on the latest Emprical podcast, the topic sounds similar to a FasCat blog post and podcast. Frank Overton used to do MLSS lactate testing, here is a 2017 article: Maximal Lactate Steady State Testing ā€“ FasCat Coaching describing the 10-min / 10W step protocol they used. And then at some point they dropped it and switched to do power based field test. For the lower aerobic threshold Iā€™ve learned to push power and pay attention to subjective feelings - balancing slow increases in aerobic power against recovery and ability to complete hard workouts. Very happy with the results of using this power/subjective balancing act. It helps having some solid ā€˜all-dayā€™ HR data.

Without having listened to Kolieā€™s podcast, Iā€™m guessing its going to resonate with me because Iā€™m not planning any lactate testing. This thread is about approximating LT1 without a test, because of the perception (ISM influenced) that focusing on LT1 will improve results from endurance training.

2 Likes

Definitely listen if/when you have time. That question from me you quoted was (admittedly) me baiting (in a non-confrontational way, of course) @redlude97. If you listen to around 36:25 into the podcast, KM doesnā€™t prescribe to ā€œa particular model of fiber typeā€, which is exactly what my question/statement above is driving at. If you prescribe to that model (which would be common these days, itā€™s in every ex phyz presentation and is what we learned in school), it is very useful to know some ā€œtransitionā€ from using predominantly Type I to a non-trivial recruitment of Type IIa. If you donā€™t prescribe to that model (whatever that means, we will have to ā€œjust chill, til the next episodeā€ LOL), then that explains why you would simply ignore it.

There are enough fanboys that KM just saying it will make it truth, but thatā€™s ok, I like that he challenges. Having said that, RPE still sucks.

And as you speculate, increased recruitment of Type IIa is (from what I understand) the common justification for low cadence work.

2 Likes

Without a physiology background, my keep it simple engineering sense of the size principle is that it might be possible to use power, torque/cadence, and HR as indirect markers. Which leads to triangulation and individuation challenges.

However I donā€™t think about it from a marker point-of-view, because Iā€™m a simple minded engineer, and instead its about desired increases in muscular endurance in order to ā€˜enjoyā€™ 1-3 hour mountain climbs with my road gearing. And having done this over several seasons, Iā€™ve noticed the other performance benefits.

And FWIW Iā€™ve also noticed lower torque inside vs outside, for the same work, in particular when following TR SSB workout advice of ā€˜keep your cadence 85-95rpmā€™ while in erg mode. Even while using the big chainring on my Kickr. Which possibly explains why low momentum / high torque climbing feels to me like high cadence, high momentum (big chainring) / not quite as high torque interval training on my Kickr direct-drive. Because even with high momentum on the trainer, the torque is always lower and its not as hard as doing the work outside. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Iā€™m with you. Totally.

Evidently you didnā€™t get the ā€œgroup riding is evilā€ memo. Neither did I. Or maybe I did, but ignored it these last 2 years for reasons that we wonā€™t discuss in this thread.

1 Like