Calculating LT1 and LT2 approximately without a blood test?

Sure why not. I’ve been DMing with some folks and why not just say hi here. I should probably try to read the whole thread at some point.

First, the real intended audience for the podcast was me, because I had the realization that was the premise of the episode and always thought it’d be fun to do. It was a blast. And yes I’ve been “playing with lactate” for years. But you’d probably be shocked with the number of people who ask me to interpret lactate test data, RER data, blood tests (don’t ask me I have no idea), or who are overtraining because of poor testing protocol and training targets. And as I work with more experienced people, the higher level coaches are all over the map with this stuff, so a secondary target would be them. Definitely not targeted at the average cyclist, but I’m not marketing minded in any way so if it connects with nobody, then oh well, lots of hours spent to satisfy myself on something esoteric. Pretty typical for me I’d say.

Second, the next episode is dealing with fiber type, since in that aside mid-episode I realized it’d be fun to look at fiber types in relation with metabolism and recruitment. So we’ll get into one or two papers I love and have always wanted to do on the podcast. It’s the topic of the next episode. Spoiler alert: it depends, and it’s also largely (but not totally) irrelevant. The same way I think lactate testing is nearly obsolete. There’s invariably one or two asterisks.

I’m flattered some people think I have fanboys, and while it’s nice to hear a “good job” now and then it will never quite penetrate the imposter syndrome and self doubt. On the bright side, I really pay attention to people who write me telling me about how I’m wrong, which happens fairly often. In all seriousness, that’s my favorite feedback. I should probably scroll all the way up, I bet I’ll learn a lot.

11 Likes

No you are not. As I said earlier I know what is easy (100W) and I know what is hard (200W), As to when it actually changes from easy to hard I really don’t have much idea. Perhaps I should just split the difference?:grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, his podcast requires a bit more focus than others. I can’t listen to it unless it’s an easy ride. Maybe tomorrow.

fyi w/rt muscle fibre recruitment

https://twitter.com/coggan_andrew/status/1501354917407174658

1 Like

@sryke that’s why I said this

I have no clue what’s going on, just believe it (appears to help) increase performance. Or not. Who knows :man_shrugging:

only thing I really believe in is volume. Today was 2.5 hour endurance Tuesday :metal:

Nice to see lots of people taking a shot at a Nobel Prize.

Before anyone asks. A lot of the questions answered(!) in sports physiology would justify a Nobel for actually answering them.

Most important part of the podcast FOR THIS THREAD:

1:33:10 into the episode. Is there a way to get that with power? (or does it even matter) That is primarily what this thread is about. Yes, you don’t have to seek out MLSS using lactate. We have FTP, CP, etc. Power FTW.

I want a target(s) for training that I spend most of my time in. I don’t spend most of my time at FTP, CP, or any other medium to high intensity level. Not because of some misguided notion of intensity distribution but because that’s just good endurance training. You have to. Fatigue, etc. I absolutely train (or have trained) in those other areas. We have some pretty well-defined ways of getting at those levels.

Ppl spend a lot of time talking about what we all do the least. We all do it. I want to understand better ways of doing what I—as an endurance athlete—do the MOST, the lower intensities. LT1? LT-blah. whatever. What’s going on there, if anything?

2 Likes

Andrew Coggan
@coggan_andrew

“There is no ‘LT1’, ‘LT2’, etc. - only a continuous but non-linear relationship between exercise intensity and muscular metabolic strain.”

https://twitter.com/coggan_andrew/status/1501551084141264905

There ya go guys. Santa Claus isn’t real. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

LOL. Good one. I’m not on twitter but judging from the date looks timely.

Assuming @empiricalcycling feels the same? It is what I expected but wasn’t sure and never good to assume. Also thought maybe there is some nuance. :man_shrugging: Well, we know where Coggan stands and he conveyed it with a nice level of directness and brevity. :+1:

FWIW, Coggan seems to be deleting his tweets after a short while. I’m looking forward to the Coggan interview on the Empirical Cycling podcast. Kolie keeps promising it.

Except for WindWarrior. Have you seen the VI and lack of decoupling on his outdoor rides? He’s a turbo trainer…in ERG mode LOL

2 Likes

:robot: just trying to reduce my carbon footprint by doing workouts outside… My coach calls me Steady Eddy sometimes LOL.

All-or-none switch-like activation is very common in biology. These biological switches are based on molecular interactions that form postitive feedback loops. However, at all spatial and temporal scales we find binary regulatory elements between two stable states.

How do you reconcile that statement with, if I understand correctly, that muscle fibers are always producing some lactate even when at rest. That doesn’t appear to be an all-or-none situation, and hence your 3rd sentence although its not clear in my mind of the two stable states when using blood lactate as a marker.

I made a general comment about the existence of switches in living organisms or ecosystems. I did not say that all biological systems are switches. Switches are components of biological systems.

1 Like

Dead vs alive is pretty binary. An important switch in population dynamics, hence at a very large scale. Just one example …

Unfortunately there is such a thing. When do you declare someone on a life support machine dead? What is dead?

What’s up with his twitter? only has 1 post and 400 followers

Surely you meant to say somewhere between 40 and 70 minutes… :wink:

7 Likes

He posts, waits a day or so, deletes, and posts again.