Cannondale SuperSix Evo (2023)

yeah I’m searching for a zero offset carbon post for the bike, that isn’t stupidly high priced, I can manage with slamming the Saddle fully forward and using a 110mm stem instead of 120mm, but the bike just feels better with the longer stem and a more forward position without it I feel ther isn’t enough weight over the frontend.

Oh shit, you’re right! I’ve been looking at their site waiting for the update :slight_smile: Yeah exactly!

Interesting. The US site still shows the ‘old’ model with the clamp on the back of the seat tube. But I switched to the UK site and see the new one. Wondering if Canyon USA is going to sell off all the old version before you can get the new one

Suspect that’s why they’re just quietly changing it, if they announced an updated model nobody would buy the old one!

1 Like

They seem to have kept the old model for the cheaper versions, and updated the mid and high end version to the new one (here in Sweden)

Alright, time for a little review of the new Cannondale SuperSix EVO4, coming from S-works Venge and S-Works Aethos.

Handling
I was very surprised how different it felt, both from the Aethos and the Venge. Both Specialized bikes were much more twitchy and “nervous”. I guess this is what some call agile and playful, whatever you wanna call it :slight_smile: The Cannondale feels extremely planted and confidence inspiring. It was almost like I could focus less on handling and more on pedalling, and in the corners to was very easy to keep the line, the bike didn’t unexpectedly over or under steer which I have noticed that the Aethos then to do sometimes.

I suspect a lot has to do with the fork on the Cannondale which is pretty slack, this adds a lot of stability.

This stability could also be felt in the wind. Having run 60mm on the Aethos (Dura Ace C60s) they felt insanely much more stable on the Cannondale. The wind pushed more gently and didn’t give you that feeling of being tossed around.

The stability of the bike was even more pronounced when standing up, where it wanted to keep straight instead of being thrown side to side.

I would say that the bike is an easier bike to ride fast than the Aethos is, even if the liveliness is fun, its sometimes nice to have the bike feel planted and just focus on the riding :slight_smile:

Comfort

• A bit more road buzz, but much more comfy than the Venge. Especially in the rear end.

Misc

• The integrated computer mount has a lot to wish for, the computer is set too high.
  • You’ll most likely have to size down, I went from a 56 to a 54 (1cm lower stack and 1cm shorter reach). I am 184cm and seat height is 76.6cm
  • The bike feels very well thought out. Specialized has been leading this for a while, where the bikes feel very “complete” and polished. I am happy that the Cannondale feels the same now, details matter, and they have nailed it.
  • Rear bottle cage has 2 positions, which means you can place it 1 notch higher, this is GREAT. Reaching the rear bottle is super easy now.
  • Get the cheapest version with 105 Di2, and upgrade the wheels. There is no other bike with as good value as that model :slight_smile:

Photo dump

9 Likes

A slack fork actually decreases stability as it decreases trail, which is the critical measurement for determining front end stability.

Now, if they adjust the head angle appropriately, you can then increase trail and hence stability.

Freaking gorgeous bike…love fresh bike pjorn!!

1 Like

This bike looks great! It would be on my shortlist for an upgrade (but alas not this year :rofl:).

What color is the lower part of the fork in real.life though? It looks like a Home Depot style orange in some pics, and almost florescent coral in others :thinking::thinking: It’ll definitely get noticed!!

1 Like

Very clean looking. Thanks for the pics and ride report

1 Like

If that’s the case…why do mountain bikes have slack forks? It would seem lack of stability is the last thing you want going down a mountain…

1 Like

@Abe_Froman I think we are confusing or saying the same thing :sweat_smile:

I meant that the fork has an increased trail, looking at the geometry charts here are the differences between Aethos and SuperSix Evo.

Aethos
Headtube angle: 73.5°
Trail: 5.5cm

Supersix
Headtube angle: 71.2°
Trail: 5.8cm

Its not a lot, but it might explain it a bit :slight_smile:

Are we all saying the same thing? Hehe

Like it does on the roof rack! Thats as close as I would say IRL :slight_smile:

See the diagram below whcih explains “trail”…as you can see, if you slacken a fork, you decrease trail.

Again, trail is a combination of things…namely HTA and fork rake / offset. You use the two in parallel to create trail.

There is a critical difference between road and mountain bike forks…suspension. MTB geometry is built around the fork travel and the affect it has on the bike’s geometry.

It is somewhat counterintuitive…way back in the say (~2000), adjustable travel forks were just coming into vogue. So we developed a bike with an adjustable HTA. I went round and round with some others re: which travel position should have the slacker HTA. I was wrong and it took me awhile to understand the geometry impact…but as a fork goes through its travel, your HTA steepens, so you want to start with a slacker angle than normal, otherwise the bike gets super-sketchy as the fork compresses. And when you are descending, you don’t want that!!

Except…in your diagram the bike with the steeper head tube angle very clearly has less trail…

Edit. Maybe the problem is mixing and matching terms. Does “slack” = closer to vertical?

Regarding the suspension, yea I think it’s easy to conceptualize the change when you think of the entire bike rotating around the rear axle when the front compresses.

1 Like

No…“slack” means to move closer to horizontal. “Steepen” means to move closer to vertical.

Your diagram shows the exact opposite of what you’re saying though. The slacker fork has more trail.

No, the shallower HTA has more trail…the fork is the same in the top two diagrams.

In the bottom diagrams. when the fork has more offset (i.e. is slacker) you reduce trail.

1 Like

Ok. I see the miscommunication.

A shallower HTA is slacker. I’ve never heard someone refer to offset as slack.

1 Like

8kg on the dot, and that is ready to ride, with bottle cages, pedals, computer mount etc.

Just put new handlebars on today, Pro Vibe Aero Pursuit 36cm. Didn’t pull the cables through the handlebar due to needing to pack the bike and that extra cable length is needed :slight_smile: I’ll take the aero hit.

Also thats why I put the tape all the way on the handlebar, even though you’re supposed to only run it a few cm from the handlebars.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, I was referring to the fork being “slack” and offset is how you can accomplish it. A small, but important, distinction, IMO.

People often associate “offset” with the curve of the fork (as in the illustrations above). But it is just the distance from the centerline of the steerer tube to the axle, measured along the ground. So if you have a straight-blade fork, a fork with more offset / rake will be (and look) more “slack”. Visually, you are now looking at a “slacker” straight line vs. a fork coming down in line with the HTA and the bending out as a result of the fork curvature.

Does that make sense? Not certain I explained it well.