Cannondale SuperSix Evo (2023)

I’ve got probably 4,000 miles on mine. Still love it. Just threw on some GP5000 AS 35s that inflate to 36.5mm. It’s my light duty gravel bike now. Kind of an any road (for me) bike. Race season I run 28/30 but the bigger tires are really nice.

As far as downsides. I had to get a zero setback seatpost because I couldn’t get my saddle forward enough for my fit. And sizing wise I was in between 2 sizes and chose the larger size. I most likely would have been more than perfect on the smaller size. The gen 4 I feel like runs big. It was a question of spacers. I can slam my stem on the larger size but I’d need spacers on the smaller. Probably wouldn’t have looked too bad so I kind of regret going big. But it’s still a great bike and it doesn’t ride slow at all. Some people had creaking from the seatpost clamp. I got the blue one whicems to be fixed. I greased it up and it’s been silent.

Edit: To address your point specifically about the Foil and Aeroad, because I was actually considering both of those bikes as well. I would say, if you want an all out race bike then either the Foil or Aeroad would be a great choice. The SuperSix is more of an all rounder. It’s still very aero (within 3-4W), but I believe it’s lighter than both the other two. And it has way more tire clearance. I remember seeing somebody fit like 39 or 40s. The extra tire clearance was a selling point. But the big reason was just price. The Aeroad wasn’t in stock, and cost $5500 with 105 Di2. The Foil was $4700 with 105 Di2. I was able to get the SuperSix for $2500 on sale. It was mech 105 so not a direct comparison, but I was going to build it up with parts I already had so it was a huge amount cheaper.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply ! I never would have guessed how much our circumstances and interests had in common lol I’m looking to start doing some road races/TT’s next year just to see what I’m made of…although because I’m aware of the fact that cycling isn’t going to pay the bills I also try to be fiscally responsible and identify those major inflection points of diminishing returns.

I do love the Foil for a few reasons - keeps me in the Scott family, it’s one of the last aero-dedicated frames, and the look just screams speed.

However, in my area in the northeast most rides are 80-100ft/mile so the idea of something like the SSE is enticing and that Viper Green just calls to me. Found a 54cm SSE 3 (105 di2) for $3600, would swap my LB wheels, and a longer stem - feels like the best bike / value I’ll find for the foreseeable future.

I realize the differences between the Aeroad, Foil, SSE3 are insignificant compared to the gains I can make training, eating, sleeping - so basically down to comfort + looks imo.

I plan to swap my Pzero 30’s over (rims have 32ext width) and eventually try some Corsa’s… either 30 or 32. I think all the frames would fit them, so clearance isn’t a huge factor.

Thanks again for the invaluable input!

Sweet builds! I recently picked up a 51 marble oxblood frameset. I’m piecing it together as a 1x flatlander setup using some parts I had or could source for a great deal.

I’m curious how it feels compared to my size 52 SL8 that I currently ride. I’ve already noticed it has a much higher stack and I will need to slam the stem.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that color. Looking forward to seeing the build.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the expander plug to use the conceal stem. I only had the expander plug designed for the one piece bar and unfortunately they are different and of course proprietary. Hopefully I will have it within the week and can ride her when I get back from a family trip.

19cm from hood to hood :slight_smile:

Do you mean the wedges? The expander plug is the same. There’s only one. There are different wedges for the Momo bar and the Conceal stem, but you don’t need a specific expander.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. I also wanted the top cap that I didn’t have so I ordered the kit. Once they come, I will cut the fork and test her out!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I came from a 54cm CAAD 13, and went to a 56CM SSE4, both with 105 Di2. I wanted to change to the SSE, and my bike fitter suggested the 56, as it just fits me better. The geometry between the two is just enough (the 56 has a shorter wheelbase than the 54!) that the 56 just handles better, and I’m much more confident on the bike. It descends like a dream. I too changed to a zero offset seat post, along with shorter cranks and a narrower bar than stock. Recently upgraded to ENVE 4.5s with 32mm GP5000 S TR. Tires measure right at 34mm on those wheels. Still a little room, but I don’t know if I’d go larger, not a lot of room between tire and front derailleur DI2 cable.

As for other bikes considered, I test rode a last gen Orbea Orca and a Scott Addict. Both were more expensive than the SSE, and the SSE just felt better. Only had it since mid-May and have almost 2k miles on it, all outdoors.

Man, that 54 geo seems really weird. The 54 has a longer front center and wheelbase than my 58. Super slack head tube for a race bike. I get why the 56 feels better.

The component fit between the two is also interesting. Between the frame reach and specified stem, the 56 is 15mm longer.

Hi everyone,

I have a Quintana Roo SR Five - an the opportunity to upgrade from 11 speed 105 to 12 speed Ultegra di2 OR purchase a Gen 4 SuperSix Evo with the same groupset. I am bit a torn on which way to go and obviously upgrading to di2 is cheaper than buying a new bike. I’m posting here to get input from some SuperSix gen 4 owners.

For some context

I bought a demo SR Five and when having the steerer tube cut was told the olive and barb weren’t included in the brake lines. I had some more work done at a different shop, which did a crappy job putting the bike back together… so much so that my T47 bottom bracket creaks. Obviously this is mostly self inflicted.

I also purchased the bike about 4 months before the Gen 4 Supersix evo was released and as soon as I saw it I thought "@$! I bought the wrong bike.

I built a Gen 4 SuperSix Evo HiMod from the frameset and love it. No regrets. I moved wheels/tires/saddle over from a BMC Roadmachine (endurance bike), and was surprised to find that the SuperSix has noticeably better ride quality. It’s not as long/low as most race bikes, but has snappy handling. Anything in particular you want to know?

I don’t know the Quintana Roo so can’t compare, but I googled it and it’s a nice looking bike. Di2 would be a fun upgrade. I went from 11 speed DA mechanical on the BMC to 12 speed UDi2 on the SuperSix, and can’t imagine going back.

Thank you! Could you tell me a bit more about the ride quality? Also could you tell me what you like about the DI2? I’ve done some reading but helpful to hear from someone that has actually used it.

For reference on ride quality - I had a gen 2 supersix that I loved - so I’m hoping a Gen 4 is similar in that you can feel really connected to the road/have a good idea of how much grip you have even in wet conditions.

I found that the Quintana Roo does look pretty nice and similar to maybe an Aeroad and/or a Tarmac. However the handling is very neutral and not always super confidence inspiring… ride feel is okay but not the same as a Supersix .

My SuperSix Evo 4 is the first carbon bike that I’ve had, so my only real comparisons are the CAAD13 that I traded in for this and my old steel race bike. The SuperSix on carbon wheels set up tubeless has the same supple feeling of being both laterally stiff and vertically compliant that a good steel bike on good tubular had. It’s just much lighter. It goes exactly where I want it to go, I can thread the needle between two potholes just by shifting my weight.

It never crossed my mind that my Roadmachine is harsh or whatever, but the SuperSix definitely has a cushier ride. It’s like the road is damped. I’ve had the SuperSix well over a year, and it still surprises me at times how it tames bumps and chatter.

Di2 just plain shifts better. It’s quicker, more precise, generally quieter, doesn’t need fiddling as the cable wears in and out, and easier to adjust if needed. Just as important, the shape of the hoods is FAR superior to mechanical, in feel and looks. It’s great to shift multiple gears with a button hold. I’m not into the synchro shifting, but you have those options. I really like using the buttons on top of the hoods to change my Garmin screen, but they can be configured for different functions. I recently picked up some sprint shifters but haven’t installed them yet.

Good luck w/ the decision making!

1 Like

One of the biggest advantages I’ve seen with DI2 is the ability to shift and brake simultaneously. I can always be in the correct gear when leaving a stop sign or coming out of a corner. I also like the ability to shift with just a pinky when I’m stretched out on the hoods.

I also came from an aluminum, mech (Ultegra) bike, but I got a SSE Hi-Mod in February and absolutely love it. I go fast, but don’t feel like I’m going as fast as I am. Sounds like some pure racers don’t like that, but it makes me more confident on the bike. I have a buddy with a Tarmac SL8, and the SSE is just as capable and fast. However, I’m a SRAM guy - but I agree that electronic is game changing.