Enve Dark6 Wheels Speculation Thread

I’ve heard these wheels mentioned many times and even Jonathan has mentioned he’s running them. Anyone know what to expect?

My guess is this:
XC wheel replacement for M525
Wider internal width, cuz that’s the trend
Some kind of design towards compliance a la Zipp Moto

2 Likes

ENVE MTB wheels are heavy in comparison to other brands: sub 1300g I’d imagine.

1 Like

Certainly they are going to be wider. Shaving some weight will also need to be a priority with the new Roval’s moving the goalposts.

In the spring it had sounded like a release was imminent, but not the season has gone by and it seems they are still working on these and trying to get more feedback from a broader user base.

I also wonder if they are looking at these as both a gravel and XC wheelset. The G23, which very light are durable, is also looking dated with a 23mm ID. Their road wheels have all gone to 25mm ID and are often seen being used by ENVE sponsored riders at gravel events.

ENVE posted this in January, they do not look XC at all.

1 Like

Seems like there is going to be a complete replacement of the M mountain line with innerdrive hubs and external nipples. Alexey and Jonathan are running the 5 version, there’s been a few pictures of the 6 version from MADE a couple of weeks ago. I’ve heard before they would be released in August, but of course that wasn’t very accurate or there’s been some unforeseen delays. Unfortunately as we all know even if the rims are light their hubs are not super lightweight, so don’t expect these to be the lightest wheelset available, Roval, Hitop SW should both be lighter I believe.

I’m been waiting for these to be released so I can make my decision on a new XC wheelset, right now Nextie, Hitop SW and the Enve 5 are the options for me.

Another thing I’ve heard is that they would be single wall rims but that’s just rumor I’ve heard

1 Like

Looks like alexey is racing a non dark6 M5 this weekend, based on the decals on his IG post

Those might be a preproduction set of the dark6/new M5 because the graphics don’t match the current M525 that’s available?

Definitely the new ones

Don’t seem to be game changers :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Any more recent info here? @Jonathan anything you can share yet…?

I just broke another Extralite CarboCamber 330 so am once again the market with some urgency…:man_facepalming:

just got email from enve, they will be announced 10/10

Can’t wait! I’d better eat Ramen and Spam this week to save my pennies

Well timed as I was a day or 2 away from pulling the trigger on some Reserves or Zipp 1zero’s…

I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on these. It appears this is the Omega rim shape that we saw some CN manufactures hinting at this summer (and has been selling). To me, this wheelset does not seem too impressive, that’s my opinion though.

To me these wheels are behind on; Rim Width, Drilled Rim Bed, Spoke material and they are pretty heavy at 1325g for $2,300- the hub is debatable but I personally don’t bite on their marketing and feel DT Swiss or DT Swiss copied designs are the bread and butter.

3 Likes

not impressed with 1325 grams as well as 29mm / 27mm internal

2 Likes

Really? They seem pretty sweet to me. What has them beat?

I think there are a lot of great options out there but depending on your opinion a $1390 Nextie wheelset that weigh’s about 1152g or a $2,130 wheelset weighing 938g (or 968g for $1520 with “Nextie” DT Swiss style hubs and carbon spokes).

The Nextie Supreme wheelset is the Omega shape, tubeless rim bed, Carbon spokes etc.

As said though, your opinion or idea’s may be different - there is a lot of disucssion of wheelsets in the “2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple sets of M5 and will definitely add a set of M5 Pro’s. I’ve had nothing but great experience with ENVE wheels and suspect these will be a nice upgrade over the M5’s. It’s sounding like they put a lot of focus into the ride quality, so will be interesting to see how much of that I actually notice.

the one thing that I think they missed is the 27mm internal rear, most xc are running 2.4 with some 2.5 (specialized captain) being released soon… seems like 27mm is borderline too narrow for today’s standards. their hub is fantastic, I have many many miles on my road wheels with innerdrive and I really like the hubs so no issues here! also I think the current mark for US market has to be the roval control sl at ~1250grams so enves are ~100 grams heavier, but their stated weight include tape and valves so I’m not sure if that’s true for the rovals

2 Likes