ENVE's new $1600 Foundation Series wheels

How big of a guy are you though ? With winds like that I’d be clear off the road (and I have) even on a 40mm front, let alone 54. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s my biggest concern with a deeper wheels, too. My first set of carbon wheels were 50s and they slung me all over the place. But they were also cheap carbon, so they weren’t really optimized.

When I upgraded, I went to ENVE 3.4 SES disc (roughly 40 deep). I think about going deeper sometimes, but I’m with you here. I’m worried that I’d get 5.6s and hate them.

Only us cyclists would consider $1600 dollars for a set of wheels a bargain. lol

4 Likes

Have you clicked that link recently? As a veteran too, you got me all excited and then…

" Whilst we don’t offer a military discount program directly, our partner’s Competitive Cyclist and SuperFastVets have a fantastic military discount program. We recommend reaching out to them, and they’ll make sure to take care of you.

Thank you"

2 Likes

Yes I just ordered mine from SFV. They go direct to ENVE and get whatever you want.

So stay excited - 20% off the Foundation 65’s or any other wheel you like. :+1:

1 Like

Cool, I’ll check that out… never heard of SuperFastVets before!

1 Like

Me either. I do however usually google military discount for ______ company I’m buying from. In this case it took me to that link on the ENVE website. I was going to order them without the discount but that just put me over the top. They have a similar deal with many of the top brands (Zipp, SRAM, Wahoo, Shimano etc.). Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m not the original respondent, but just wanted to add one more vote that the Enve 5.6 have never given me issues… even on windy days. I live in GA with moderate/“normal” amounts of wind. I’m 5’7", about 140 pounds (~64kg)… never doubted my stability.

I have not ridden other carbon rims, however I am extremely happy with my purchase of the 5.6. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

Well, I suppose this means I now know the wheels I’ll be buying for my new bike later this year. Really cannot wait until I can safely get a complete bike fit without worry of contracting COVID-19 so I can get the process moving.

1 Like

You’re not making this easier on me, man. I would love some 5.6s for my SuperSix so I can move my 3.4s to my CAADX. But I’d also like to not get divorced so… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Great imagination! Seriously I’m 95-98kg but ride with plenty of guys and gals at the other end of the scale. Nobody has been blown off the road down here in flatland.

1 Like

I really wish I was kidding. I really do. With 85-100kmh gusts that we get here in Sydney, I have been on people’s front-yards on multiple occasions.

1 Like

sure that will knock anyone over, those gusty winds are fairly common in certain spots in the mountains although we get some like that around here at least once a winter. The worst I’ve ridden in was at the bottom of a deep canyon putting out 250+W on a short downhill and struggling to move forward :flushed:

We were talking about 20+mph / 32+kph winds. On group rides there are smaller woman 54-60kg and people every size in between. A lot of mid aero wheels. Nobody crashing or going off road. Thats what I was pointing out :smile:

Aaaw physics class. We watched this bridge collaps on Super 8! Now I feel old.

On topic: I’m looking at the wheels and thinking about it. There are cheaper options and I don’t think I need the warrenty and I could most likely almost buy a second wheelset from China for the price.

I do however enjoy buying something that is made by people who do earn a living for what they do and the peace of mind is quite nice.

Understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, I don’t have a set of race wheels for different events, so I have to pick something in the middle, which in my case 40mm. Training on 25mm wheels, as you do.

I keep things simple - one bike and the Enve 5.6 disc wheels (54 front and 63 rear) at all times.

3 Likes

OK, at the advice of a more experienced wheel guru I used a microfiber cloth and alcohol and some elbow grease and it clear up the issue. I appreciate the responses and don’t want to cause any issues so I took down the pictures. Water did not work, rubbing alcohol did. They are good to go! Appreciate the responses.

1 Like

Contact them at least, because they should recognize the issue for any possible warranty issues in the future. Also, they should at least offer a blemish credit.

Edit, 2nd pic may even show a void at the bead edge, which is probably the reason for the silver Sharpie.

1 Like

It would already be issue #2 with the order. Frustrating but not the end of the world…

what is it? It looks like marker maybe? will it wipe/rub out with some elbow grease? If its in the finish no way am I paying full price for them. I would be having them ship me a new wheel with a shipping label to send this one back.