ENVE's new $1600 Foundation Series wheels

I have about 1,000 miles on these wheels and I really love them. I grabbed the Foundation 65’s and I’m running the Schwalbe 28’s on them. Very comfy on chip seal roads and light gravel that I’ve ridden them on. On crappy bumpy roads they do take out a lot of the road vibrations. I have, unfortunately, bottomed out the rear wheel twice. There is a section of road that you can carry a lot of speed through and there is a cattle guard that I go over usually in the high 20 mph range. I usually try to bunny hop the guard but I’ve not cleared it twice and caught the edge with the rear wheel. Running 68 or so PSI you would think pinch flat but at this point I’ve been fine as I know they are designed to take some of those direct impacts without damage to the tire.

Lastly, I raced a crit with them last night. They carry speed extremely well and while it was windy they were very well behaved. I have yet to get that front wheel twitch that we all wish to avoid riding deep wheels. Cornering, let me say, if you haven’t railed a corner at 30 mph + on 68 PSI you really don’t know what you are missing. I carried so much speed through corners and would easily save 4-5 pedal strokes on the exit just carrying extra speed.

I’m a fan and if they go on sale again like the sale above, you should jump on them if you are on the fence.

6 Likes

This just makes me want to rack up my credit card and order a pair for my new bike. Shop owner got some of the 45s in the other day but they are SRAM, so I’d have to wait on a new shipment if I ordered now. Thinking of holding out to use some b-day money in the fall.

1 Like

Back on sale!

3 Likes

Why don’t they just make tubeless rims with no spoke holes in the rim bed and forget all this taping nonsense???

I have a 50mm carbon wheelset from eiecarbon with DT Swiss 240 hubs that are lighter and $500 cheaper than these Enve “budget” wheels and didn’t have to screw around with rim tape. Sealed right up with a floor pump using Schwalbe G-One Speed tires.

1 Like
  • Answering a question with another question.

How do you make a wheel and retain spokes to the rim without the through holes?

• Hint, there are some existing solutions, but most I’ve seen are only done in aluminum rims. Carbon might be tougher.
2 Likes

Perhaps my post wasn’t clear… I have a set of carbon rims without holes in the rim bed and know how it’s done. Mavic puts a small magnetic screw into the nipple, drops it into the valve stem hole, and uses a magnet to guide the nipple into place. Remove the little screw while holding the nipple, thread the spoke into the nipple… rinse and repeat. There are probably other nifty ways of doing the same thing.

Just surprised more wheel makers aren’t using this technique given all the technology going into cycling, especially premium brands like Enve.

1 Like

EIE carbon is professional carbon bike rim manufacturer which located at Xiamen City, China Mainland. We offer 400 days warranty on rims after the date of shipment.

I can see why they are cheaper. Why don’t you start a new thread where you can show boat your knockoff wheels and tell everyone how amazing they are being tapeless and all? No reason to step into this thread to attack Enve when every “premium” brand uses rim tape.

2 Likes

Yeoleo do the same. Makes going tubeless pretty easy. I also notice latex tubes lose less pressure than is generally stated in the internet. Might also be due to the lack of spoke holes.

Though this is a pain if you need to do maintenance or replace spokes. Which is probably a big reason why a lot of brands still go with spoke holes.

2 Likes

If you feel any of my posts are inappropriate, please use the Flag function. Thanks.

finally got my 65s mounted with 28mm pro ones…real tight fit on my spec

5 Likes

Phew, that IS snug. What do those measure out at on those rims?

I think 30mm

1 Like

I am putting the same tires on the 45s but on a gravel bike. You want to consider 25 mm if you get any tire rub once you start to run them. They look great.

Thats the plan. If they rub. Ill switch to the 25mm gp5000 since they are hookless approved. But the 28 are not

I thought that as well. On the Enve, website the GP5000s 25 mm are now listed as not compatible. I can’t figure out why.

That’s a bad idea.

It’s hard to see from pictures without any measuring tool so just to clarify, if you don’t keep those tires pristine you might end up having debris rub through your frame. If you bought it new then there goes your warranty. I’d probably even be worried about dropping down to 25c seeing how tight those are. UCI minimum is 4 mm ALL AROUND for clearance, some companies specify 6+ mm though.

It’s your bike though.

1 Like

Yeah, I wonder why they were removed from the approved list as well because those were the tires I was planning to mount on mine. My LBS is an Enve dealership, so maybe they can get the scoop.

Continental does not recommend/approve use with hookless:

Its in both the downloads found on this page:
https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/service/faq/mounting-instructions

4 Likes

Maybe it’s a timing thing, but a few months after your post, Tire Compatibility - ENVE lists GP 5000 TL 25 and 28 under “incompatible”.

Which is kind of worrying if tires they said were compatible around mid-April are listed as not compatible in early July.

Perhaps it was ENVE’s experience initially when they created the list then now Continential deemed them not compatible with hookless hence the update. Just a guess on Continental stating that now on my part.

Zipp put the liability on the user to find hookless compatible tires, would think that’s a safer route.