Favorite Sunscreen/Suncream

Seconding Zealios. I tried a bunch when I started running during the summer and everything just made me look like Casper the moment I sweat.

Zealios after 2-3 applications in a day over grit and gravel makes me look like a mess but the first application is always great.

I love that I can bring packets of sunscreen on a run or toss one in a saddle bag. The refillable bottle freebie with a 1L purchase hasn’t been a winner.

Maybe a bit off topic but anyone wear or have a preference for arm coolers? Was looking at getting a pair this year, find that on 2+ hour rides, even with SPF 60, I end up getting burnt at the edge of my gloves and sleeves. Will still likely get that burn line with my shorts but its not as bad as on the arms. Was leaning towards the Giro or Assos ones, the Assos ones look to be Right/Left specific which makes me think they may fit a bit better than the generic tube shaped ones.

Riemann P20 all the way for me. I’ve used after months of no sun while kitsurfing all day with no wetsuit (in Cape Verde, close to the equator), and didn’t get any sunburn, with SPF 15 or 20.

Cons:
Doesn’t smell great (only relevant on application).
Has alcohol (avoid getting into the eyes).
Can stain white garnments (only happened with regular clothes though - linen shirts and t-shirts).

I no longer use any other sunscreen. Not having to reapply (even when spending the day in water) is a big big plus.

3 Likes

Riemann P20 for the win. Used during all day rides from 4am through to 9-10pm with clear blue skies in summer. One application in the morning and done. Pump bottle and very little greasy residue :+1::+1:

1 Like

I think this was the best I’ve used Nivea Sun Protect And Refresh Invisible Cooling Sun Spray SPF 30 High 200ml | Wilko

I used to surf 3-4 hours a day almost everyday and the combo I liked the most was Bare Republic non-nano mineral sunscreen for my neck, arms and back of my legs if we were in board short temps and Manda sun paste for my face. Stuff is like vaudeville makeup, but it isn’t going anywhere in the water.
https://mandanaturals.com Their PawPaw salve is the best aftersun lotion I’ve used. Great stuff.
I also like that their products are organic and contain readily identifiable components. For LONG days on the bike in mid Utah summer I will use their sun paste still.

I mostly use Bare Republic now I’m landlocked for cycling. Good stuff. Now, having said that…

I’m always down for better and more effective. I had no idea about the BASF subcomponents in the EU. Makes sense, the FDA is bought and paid for in many ways. So thanks the the thread I have some Laroche-Posay on the way from, Portugal?, I think? Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

+1 for Blue Lizard products. Over the years I’ve developed some sensitivities to many of the more commonly available sunscreens. Blue Lizard is high-quality mineral-based sunscreen that causes no reactions for me. The “Sport” version seems easier to apply in my experience, compared to the Sensitive version, but works equally well.

KINESYS. They make a spray, and a cream. Ive used both, both are excellent and touted amongst many triatheletes. Im currently using the zinc cream, and love it. It stays on, is difficult to wash away, and a little bit goes a LONG way.

I use Neutrogena Sport Face from the eyes down and wear sun sleeves and gloves most days.

2 Likes

Neutrogena for the face and Alba Botanica spray for the arms.

I just can’t stand the mineral based white stuff. It’s probably disrupting my endocrins.

I actually prefer Pearl Izumi sun sleeves and sun knees over sunscreen even if it’s 100F out.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a big +1 to those sun sleeves! I used to wither in the heat and hated the feeling of direct sun exposure on my arms, but these things have changed the game for me!

I kinda just use whatever SPF on the rest of my body and enjoy Supergoop! Glowscreen on the face.

2 Likes
1 Like

P20 for me as well, love it. Best for apply-and-forget that I have used.

1 Like

I just tried these this last weekend, but it wasn’t sufficiently hot enough for a final verdict. It was only in the 70s because of a storm moving through. I’m in north Texas, so I’ll get them properly heat tested soon.

They have the arm articulation you mentioned. That’s actually quite nice. You can see the material is that thin aero fabric that is used by a lot brands. There are only so many fabrics (and chamois, elastics, snaps, etc.) available to these companies who can’t back a large enough order for custom fabric. So, it’s up to the clothing manufacturer to design a unique pattern and/or use an available fabric in a unique (hopefully better) way for their unique selling point.

Tagging @Pbase : you’d asked about these in that new purchases topic that disappeared. I’ll post again somewhere relevant when they’re tested to proper Texas temp and humidity levels.

1 Like

Thank you! :metal:

Do they say what the UPF is anywhere? Didn’t see it on their page.

As someone who avoided sunscreen for a long time because I hated the process and the performance I’ve been super happy routinely using Blue Lizard the last two seasons. Works well and is no bother to apply.

2 Likes

Nothing, sorry. I did get them in black and I don’t think much is getting through. Maybe I’ll end up with some thin tan lines/stripes down my arm from a long day in high UV exposure. I tried to quickly show the fabric here with the sunlight coming through, not coming through, and the inside.

1 Like

Sport or regular? Does it stain? I’ve been looking to try something new.

These are too big and awkward (slide down) on my pathetic arms. Does anyone have any other brands they recommend ?