Favorite Sunscreen/Suncream

Regular. Haven’t tried the Sport.

I haven’t had any staining but I don’t go wild with the stuff either.

1 Like

+1 for sun sleeves. I use Voler SolSkin on my arms and my head. The head cover protects my scalp since my thing hair doesn’t :cry:.

It also helps to wick sweat away. By using a Halo headband and the head cover, I don’t need any sunblock above my eyes and sweat never drips in my eyes. So that’s another win.

If you get the SolSkins wet, they act like evaporative coolers, much more than uncovered skin. It’s really noticeable. Only problem is that means they dry out fast. I’ve sometimes wanted a hydration pack with a drip feed to my arms.

2 Likes

maybe these could help? https://lecol.cc/en-us/products/pro-aero-mitts?variant=39926075392063

1 Like

Cetafil SPF50

I use California Baby titanium on my face, thick. Makes me look like someone in the circus. I always cover my arms with sun sleeves. I’ve had more than I can count skin cancers on my arms and face. YMMV

2 Likes

My own melanin…I do try to build up early spring and stay out of the sun from around 11-15h from mid May to about July to further work on my tan, especially when the UV-index is high. And no I don’t get burned and no I don’t look like a raisin (in fact people are often surprised when I tell them my age)

1 Like

For those based in the UK I’m a big fan of Solarsport. It’s ‘dry’ so you don’t get that sticky greasy feeling or compromised grip, and it’s small enough to leave a bottle in your kit bag(s).

I use Hawaiian Tropic now for its water/sweat resistance and its nice scent, but I used to use a non-waterproof Eucerin. The Eucerin was great on my skin when Banana Boat gave me acne

P20, can do all day mountain trips at the height of summer and yet to let me down, it’s amazing stuff.

P20- I fill my palm with extremely runny liquid, I slap it onto my forearm, and IT DOESNT SPREAD! Dubba Tee Eef? 1/2 cup (is measurement) covers next to nothing.

As a Dermatologist I use a mineral block with Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide. For further protection some of the tinted blocks with iron oxide also may reduce ageing changes of the skin attributable to visible light.
For further protection, an oral supplement from the tropical fern plant Polypodium Leucotomos, an antioxidant, will increase the amount of time it would take to turn red in the sun. This is not a sunscreen, but an agent that may ramp down the production of reactive oxygen species caused by UV light absorption.
As for the protection achieved by a tan? Equivalent to about an SPF 4 sunscreen. If you havr tanned, you have damaged cellular DNA.
The SPF ratings are based upon laboratory testing with a solar simulator light source. These ratings do not account for sweating or rubbing of the skin. Nor do people always apply enough sunblock. A whole body would require the equivalent of a shotglass full of sunscreen. And yes, for that reason, an SPF 100 block can provide signinficantly more benefit than an SPF 50 due to the way the sun block may have been inadequately applied, rubbed or sweated off.
Having said that, the mineral blocks will not be available in an SPF of greater than about 60. They also may be better tolerated and may be environmentally friendlier.
I use atleast an SPF 30 and usually wear sun slleeves.

5 Likes