GCN+ being closed, December 2023

Same. Amazing value and content, I would have happily paid double, especially as I subscribed on a Black Friday deal and then continued because it was such a bargin.

1 Like

You might be able to download them. I often use the Video DownloadHelper plug-in to capture steamed videos.

Iā€™m going to miss Orla and the Breakaway crew if I canā€™t find them after this all shakes out.

3 Likes

In the YouTube comments on the announcement they said they were looking at a
Number of options to make them available. My bet would be a separate GCN YouTube channel with them on. With probably lots of adverts to conveniently break them up into bite sized chunks.

1 Like

I understand with the VPN but with no VPN, just the flat subscription without pretending youā€™re in the UK, what did you get?

This 100%. Itā€™s almost as if they want nothing to do with us here

Somtimes I like her other times I find her irritating, depends, although I have grown to like her more often than not.

She pops up everywhere, youā€™ll still be able to get your Orla fix but it wonā€™t be on the breakaway (seemingly) which was excellent imo.

You still got plenty of races and the documentaries. If it wasnā€™t worth it to you thats cool. But a simple click of a button got you great coverage of almost every race on the cycling calendar and thatā€™s a huge loss

3 Likes

and the price per coverage didnā€™t compare

Could be worse, could be stuck with NBC 30 min recaps at 3 am

Ā£39.99 in the UK for GCN+ (with no ads)

Ā£6.99 a month, so Ā£83.88 a year in the UK, with no option to pay yearly for a discount, for Discovery Standard (with ads)

No free trial either to see how good/bad it is.

I guess there is additional content on Discovery, but I was only really interested in the cycling to be honest.

With other subscriptions gradually going up in price I have to be picky about which ones I keep that really give the best value.

I suspect I will just sub to Discovery for the months of the grand tours, although ITV 4 in the UK usually have the TDF live and highlights of the Giro and Vuelta.

3 Likes

It was once greatā€¦reasonable subscription fees, a monthly option vs. yearly and excellent selection of races and coverage.

But then they lost rights to some races (primarily the Giro and other Italian races)) and despite the loss of content, dramatically raised prices and removed the monthly option. So you were paying far more for substantially less.

then the service got glitchy as hell and they were inserting ads into the coverage all the time, sometimes right in the closing KMā€™s of a race.

Different organizers so they couldnā€™t care less what the others are doing, let alone bothering to partner with them for a US-based business model.

7 Likes

This blows.

I felt like cycling was primed for a comeback with the pandemic bike mania + the possibility that Netflix could convert new people to follow the sport. The pandemic cycle was obviously a huge bubble, but surely some would stay interested longer term.

Between this, all the talk of mergers, the best team in the world not being able to find a title sponsor, talk of breakaway leagues, etc, it is feeling a bit like the cycling sky is falling.

8 Likes

This is the same lack of coordination/ misaligned incentives that has Jumbo Visma and others looking to create a new world tour cycling league.

1 Like

Was just wondering, how much did it cost them to produce even the latest Taiwan Kom video?

They say itā€™s thanks to the companies sponsoring the trip that they managed to go there, but still, for a 15 mins video the producing costs must be rather steep. Perhaps they will amortise the cost by making other videos during their stay there.

100%ā€¦and highlights the imbalance of power / money within the sport.

Hell, even the UCI is nothing but a whipping boy for the race organizersā€¦none of them care about ā€œthe sportā€, they just care about their slice of the pie.

2 Likes

So I guess discovery/warner/whatever got tired of cancelling things that caused mass outrage (the new looney tunes movie) and wanted to cancel something with a much smaller fan base (cycling in the us)

:frowning:

4 Likes

You forgot the best part about Flo - race replays always had thumbnails showing the winner crossing the line, or better yet, the videos showed the last 10 seconds of the race in the opening creditsā€¦

:exploding_head:

12 Likes

Some clarification / reemphasis from Daniel Lloyd on a few pointsā€¦

3 Likes

plus the pleasure of adverts being served up to you even though youā€™re paying subs. Fckers.

So if I use Discovery+, itā€™ll be very reluctantly, and only for TdF & Vuelta, so less income for them vs my GCN+ sub. :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how they are going to do this as they are terminating access by the sounds of the email