Gravel Tire Recommendation - fast rolling for hard pack but large side knobs

I’ve been running Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H tires in 45mm. They have been great for rail trails and other straight gravel roads. However, I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that I want more grip for cornering.

Prior to getting my gravel bike, I took my endurance road bike on some light gravel with Vittoria Torreno Dry tires in 31mm. The tire almost has a square(ish) profile due to the large side knobs. I liked the way it handled on the few sections of rougher gravel that I hit.

So, I guess I have two questions.

1. For the Torreno Dry in 45mm or wider, how pronounced are the knobs? If anyone has some installed, pictures would be great!

2. What other tires should I consider, especially those that have a low profile in the middle for faster rolling on smooth / straight shots but larger lugs on the sides for added grip when cornering? I know the Pathfinder Pros are well-liked but I don’t think their side lugs are as large as I’d like. (Bonus if they also have a tan-walled version, because all gravel bikes look better with tan sidewalls, IMHO!)

Thanks!!

Schwalbe g one rs or the new maxxis reaver could be worth checking out

3 Likes

I’m not overly experienced with the number of bike tires out there, but I have a converted cyclocross bike (now gravel) and I use Challenge tires. Most of the tires that I use are 33-36mm and it seems that you are comfortable with running narrow gravel tires. Almanzo, Chicane Pro and Gravel Grinder Pro all fit your description.

1 Like

I’ve ridden Gravel King SK (38mm) in Texas, AR and VA, and have yet to find anything it can’t handle (had some difficulty with fishtailing in deep sand, but that’s about it). And I’ve hit as high as 40mph on paved sections.

1 Like

I’m a GKSK fan, but they definitely have smaller side lugs than a Pathfinder Pro.

1 Like

Irc Boken +, schwalbe g one RS, panaracer gravel king

What about the CInturato Gravel M’s? They handle cornering pretty well, and have nearly as good rolling resistance as the Gravel H’s. Great reviews on BRR.com too:

1 Like

I have them on my gravel bike @rkoswald and they corner really well - they handle all the single track that I normally ride on my XC bike…

1 Like

What width are you running? Do you mind posting a pic when you get a chance? Thanks!!

I’m running the 650b x 50mm. On my 25mm rims they measure out to about 53mm on the calipers.

The centerline tread has only a few gaps - it’s almost (but not quite) like a semi slick in the center.

They also got great reviews on ridinggravel.com and gravelcyclist.com.

Here’s a photo!

1 Like

You might want to check out the Goodyear Connector Ultimates….fantastic all-around gravel tire. Not a super-smooth center tread, but still pretty fast rolling and corners great in a variety of conditions.

3 Likes

I switched recently from Maxxis Rambler 45mm (came with the bike) to Kenda Alluvium Pro 45mm because gravel I ride is pretty smooth most of the time. I’m not sure they (Alluvium) qualify for “large side knobs”, those are pretty shallow from my perspective, but I was impressed by how well they handle the corners. And they roll great. So, can’t say if they would work for you or not, but I certainly like them a lot.

1 Like

I’ve also heard good things about these tires.

2 Likes

Are tires like this actually rideable?

Unlike cars, bicycles and motorcycles need curvature to the tire to actually turn, if you’re flattening out the profile and putting less stable treadblocks on the shoulder, it sounds like not a great time unless you’re just riding fully upright at all times.

Between the Terra Speeds and Race Kings, Continental has proven that knobs can be fast. There’s no reason to make the center of the tread slick, unless you’re very concerned about the noise/road buzz.

That said, people still will think slicks are faster because they look the part, despite the facts.

2 Likes

I interchange between WTB Riddler and Pathfinder Pros. Cannot find the PP larger than 42 in my area and my WTB are 50mm and used where the 42PP would be too risky.
Try also look at the new Maxxis Reaver.

3 Likes

Anyone have experience with the Conti Terra Speed 45s?

1 Like

I’m now running Tufo Gravel Thunderos in 40s on my OPEN UPPER. BRR likes it to be as fast as the Terra Speeds but with better ability across a variety of terrain. I just mounted them this fall and haven’t gotten out much on them yet, so I can’t say a whole lot more. I originally got them because I thought I was going to take this bike up Mauna Kea and needed a faster rolling gravel tire for all of the road riding.

Bonus: they look nice.

1 Like

I’ve been using the maxxiss ramblers 38c for all road purposes for quite a while. They don’t have a smooth centerline like some other tires, but they roll fast enough on pavement for me to continue using them.
I actually just ordered a new maxxiss Reavers 40c to see how they ride.
I tried out the Terravail Washburn 42c they have a smooth centerline with knobs on the side l. I really like them but they were very heavy and I felt like I had two anchors on my wheels.
Maxxiss ramblers have always been my go to, and have never failed me on every type of surface you can think of.

1 Like

Terra Speed 40mm only, but they are my 1st choice for racing. Ridiculously fast rolling ( I clocked over 82 km/h on a gravel descent in my last race), light weight, grip well in corners and reasonable in the mud. Downside is the faster wear, hence I keep 'em for race day.

3 Likes

I’ve not got a great range of experience, when my rear WTB Riddler wore out I replaced it with what was working for me, another WTB Riddler. The WTB Raddler is supposed to be the more radical version of them with a bit more grip for cornering. Google throws up these reviews:

WTB Riddler Tire Review | VeloNut

WTB Raddler Tires: At The Finish - Riding Gravel