Homemade Rice Cakes - Help

If you make a “large”/normal batch…freeze them until you’re ready to consume them.

1 Like

You added up the carbs and have 214g for the batch. You want to portion it into 30g carb portions. So that’s 1/7th of the total batch of 741 grams, or 106g per portion of rice cake.*

*The water in the rice doesn’t have any calories (worth counting) and it’s weight is evenly distributed throughout the batch, so it doesn’t factor in this way.

eta: doh, too late :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The gcn recipe I used called for cream of coconut. Not coconut milk or coconut cream. All different things.

Anywho. My recipe worked great

I’ve read that these don’t freeze well (apparently, they dry out). Is that your experience?

If you wrap them tightly in saran wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil…that goes a long way in retaining the moisture.

1 Like

I use to make these all the time. I also use to throw jam on top if I was doing a turbo session which tasted amazing.

They never freezes well which is why I stopped making them, was wasting half the recipe. I didn’t try wrapping them though…. Maybe I’ll try again

Huge rice cake fan. I make them in 6-bar portions, which last about a week. Notes and general recipe:

-First off, soak your rice for 5 minutes in enough water to cover it plus 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide, then rinse rice well. This makes the bars last way longer and prevents possible digestive distress due to bacterial spores that commonly live on rice. Info here: Rice Science +How to Help your Rice Cakes Last Longer - Skratch Labs

6-bar recipe:
1 cup short grain rice, 1.5 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook rice for 15 min., kill heat and let stand for 10 min.
Add to cooked rice and mix well:
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C coconut milk
1 T lemon juice

Add half your rice to a ~6"x8" container (I use a large Tupperware), mash down to make a single flat layer. To the top of this add topping of your choice. I have enjoyed:
-100g Nutella
or
-50g nut butter + 80g jam of your choice

Then add the rest of the rice and mash it flat on top.

FULLY CHILL (overnight ideally) then cut into 6 bars and wrap in Skratch Paper. These will keep in the fridge for at least a week. Downing one of these with coffee ~30min before a trainer session is a great way to get some carbs to the muscles.

I also really enjoy an umami version, similar to above with some more salty/tart ingredients. If you really need electrolytes, do as above but add a THIN layer of Vegemite, remarkably excellent hours into a sweaty ride!

3 Likes

I’ve never ever heard of anyone adding bleach to their food. I know you said to rinse it well after that, but it sounds potentially hazardous. I also think it is pretty pointless, considering that you boil the rice afterwards for 15 minutes. If there are any bacteria, the boiling will kill them anyway.

2 Likes

Hydrogen peroxide is sometimes used for bleaching but is not to be confused with “Bleach”. You are thinking of sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl as bleach.
Hydrogen peroxide is composed of 2 Hydrogen atoms and 2 Oxygen atoms. When it does it’s magic one of the Oxygen atoms react with the contaminant and the H2O2 is reduced to water. After rinsing, the rice is then safe to eat.

1 Like

Boiling rice does not eliminate the spore based bacteria called Bacillus Cereus.

1 Like

But you’re chilling it quickly when you make rice bars? That should mitigate any growth of bacteria, if any are left.

To be honest, rice and rice bars never last more than a day or so in my house, so it’s not something I’ve ever encountered.

Read the link I posted. They directly compare treated vs. untreated rice by leaving it at room temp, treatment makes a huge difference. And I’m less worried about them in the fridge (though refrigerated rice is a frequent culprit in mild food poisoning) than in the cases where they sit in my jersey pocket for 3-4 hours on a long ride or at an event before I eat one.

1 Like

I found this to be the case too.
to echo the other poster. Airtight near vacuum sealing does the trick.

I figured this out after buying some frozen onigiri. I realized how soft they still were after thawing, and they were vacuum packed

1 Like

Thanks! Pretty interesting. Including the Nutella, MyFitnessPal has the following nutritional breakdown per bar. Looks pretty good for cycling a long multi-hour ride:

1 Like

I found that you can freeze them ok if you portion them into the parchment / foil packets then into a ziplock. Then just take them on your ride frozen. By the time you want to eat (at least 40mins) they will have softened enoigh and be a bit easier to eat.

Scratch paper is just overpriced bacofoil parchment + foil which comes in 5m rolls for a few pounds. Pro tip - you can reuse the cut pieces if you wash them properly.

I love the tip about peroxide and bacillus.

1 Like

Are you using full fat coconut milk for this? The original recipe called for 30g coconut oil - does cutting down the fat this much matter? Did you try this version at all vs the coconut oil version?

I based my recipe on this: Nutella Rice Cakes - Skratch Labs

I’ve tried some other recipes that use more coconut oil (like this one) and personally I don’t like that much fat in my rice cakes. I find them a bit harder to digest during a ride. YMMV of course; you can all add kinds of stuff to sticky rice, so see what you like! Check out the umami recipe I posted above e.g., fantastic for hot days when getting electrolytes in is critical (and also a nice change of pace from gels).

I don’t want the fat either! I’m glad to hear they work this way. Have you ever tried skipping the added fat? Is the coconut milk for flavor or a binder of some sort? You’re using full fat stuff from a can? If you can find it, you should try Aroy-D if you haven’t. Best coconut milk I’ve ever had.

I’ve read a little that for older women (like me) getting some protein during exercise is actually good. Just a minimal amount. I may try adding some egg white protein powder. I’ll report back if it isn’t terrible :slight_smile:

I’d imagine the coconut oil is a binder, as it’s stable at room temperature.

2 Likes

Nah, you don’t need the coconut oil at all; the sticky rice is…sticky…so it binds just fine without either coconut milk or coconut oil. I’d say without these things the cakes might actually be a bit more physically resilient, as the oils melt at ~body temp while starch from the rice does not. The ones with coconut oil will get pretty goopy if stored in a jersey pocket, for example.

Re: fat/protein, I agree that some recipes seem to add a lot of fat, more than I prefer. Here’s another one from EF Education that contains a bunch of cream cheese plus coconut oil. Perhaps these are used by pro teams to get a bit of fat into an on-bike diet that’s otherwise just pure carbs (gels, drinks), but I find this much fat disagrees with my stomach.

1 Like