How wide should your road shoes be?

During my bike fit it was commented that the type of shoes i have are the wrong curvature for my feet. I had been experiencing some numbness and discomfort on the outside of my right foot and some of this was removed by adding a spacer to my pedals, but it still remains a little.

I’ve got just got some quoc shoes and comparing the insole width to my foot, my foot is slightly hanging over the edge. But there is a better room space around my toes. When I’ve tried wide shoes they seem to be way to big for my actual foot and never feel snug.

I’m happy with the length.

Is there a tolerance that should be allowed for some ‘overhang’? should my foot fit the insole with room on the side? if it does I feel like it will never feel like the shoe fits snug?

I’ve recently experienced something similar after getting shoes with a full carbon “tub” that surrounds the foot. I never before had a problem with foot width. However, when I got a pair of Lake 403, with a full carbon tub, I had pain because of the width. And, I very carefully measured my feet several times and used their sizing chart carefully before buying. Since these are heat moldable shoes, I was eventually able to get them to fit. However, I broke every single rule about how to mold them in order to do so. My point is, I trust Lake’s sizing chart and how I measured my feet. But in hindsight, I should have allowed for some extra width as a cushion. I never had to do this before. But carbon is unforgiving, and exposed a width issue I never had before. Bottom line, I would buy these shoes again. But I would get them wider and have a cushion.

Your foot hanging over the inside is a clear indication the shoe is too narrow. I learned this from my podiatrist who happens to also be a cyclist. I had purchased a beautiful of Vitoria shoes that were not wide enough and developed a tailors bunion as a result. After getting the bunion resolved I bought custom Lake CX332’s in extra wide and that could not have been a better decision. Completely comfortable and pain free no matter the conditions. Old school think that a cycling shoe should fit snuggly is dumb. Especially when it is hot weather the feet must have room to swell or pain results. Do keep in mind that not every shoe company makes a true wide shoe. Some make a high volume shoe based on the same standard last as opposed to a wide last some that give the foot proper support.

1 Like