Microspline gravel wheels

Hi all,

I buying a Specialized Crux Comp and I’m looking at a new wheelset to replace the original. Im quite happy about the 1x GRX but options seem limited when it comes to microspline freehub. I would like around 25mm inner and around 40 in height. Ideally something in the 1400-1500g range and less than 2000 CAD. I’m currently running Lun Grapid wheels and I love them bud sadly they do not offer microspline freehub.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

If the wheels do not come with the correct freehub, you can always replace it. Most hub manufacturers offer freehubs as replacement parts. For example, a DT Swiss replacement freehub for 350 hubs costs around 60-70€.

I like my Shimano RX-880 with microspline.

If you love them, take to a reputable wheelbuilder and get the hub changed.

Enve AG25 could be a good option.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I’m overthinking things but I would prefer rim height to be around 40 for something slightly aero when racing. Perhaps the aero gain between 32mm and 40mm is too minimal to even bother with when fitted to 47mm tires. Plus with the exposed cable of the Crux, there’s simply to difference…

1 Like

Check out Nextie…you could get some seriously wide wheels built up with a Microspline freehub.

1 Like

LPlante,

Nextie offer’s a lot of combinations in the pathway or configuration you are looking for and with your mentioned budget you can get into a very premium product/combinations.

You can check out the website here → https://www.nextie.com/

Please shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

1 Like

finding something above 40mm, under 1,500g, and under $2,000 could be tough…

personally, I wouldn’t worry about a minimum rim height, but that’s just me…

1 Like

Two options from Hunt:

1 Like

Those HUNT 40s are on sale right now too :eyes:

1 Like

It’s super tempting. Also, every now and then they have something eye popping on the Re:New part of the site as well.

My issue with the Hunt 40 Race is that I can get Roval Terra CL for 300 CAD less and with a bullet proof DT 350 hub they seem like the better deal.

3 Likes

I’m a huge fan. I bought their Control carbon wheels for my MTB and I’m super happy with them. It’s hard to beat the rim/hub combo, especially for the price.

I had to buy a MS freehub since Specialized only carried them in XD, but DT parts are easy to find.

These Nextie wheelset which is MSRP $1220USD ($1678CAD) before shipping is 1415g +/- 20g and come with a DT240 hub. The Nextie hub makes the price even less, but figured I would share it. These seem to be the most sought after rim profile currently for gravel wheels (for now at least, 45mm depth, 30mm ID, 40mm OD).

Please shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. If you want to fully maximize your budget Nextie products might be able to get you into a 1300-1350g version of those NXT45AGX rims.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you. :wink:

It is internal / outer WIDTH, not diameter.

Sorry, pet peeve. :man_shrugging:t2:

:laughing:

I’m surprised there is not a thread battling this out yet. What about outside/inside dimension?

I just bought the Crux Comp myself, love it! I just converted 2 pairs of Bontrager wheels to microspline since they too are DT Swiss hubs. I can recommend both the Aeolus Pro 37 and Aeolus RSL 37, although they are 21 internal they are 37 deep and do have a 2 year warranty no questions asked if you damage the rim. I does feel a little funny running Bontrager wheels on a Specialized but I just have too much money invested in those wheels to not do it. :joy:

I’ve had a lot of Trek stuff in the past and would definitely buy from them again.

Their Aeolus Elite 35V wheels are 25mm wide, 1,660g, and $1,000. :flushed:

They don’t use DT Swiss, but I’ve had really good experiences with their Rapid Drive hubs…

1 Like