New sports watch - which one? Polar, Coros or Suunto?

Hi there,
I’m in the market for a new watch. I was a Garmin user for many years (Felix 5) and left Garmin for several reasons and don’t want to go back to Garmin.
For cycling, I use a Wahoo bolt.
Currently, I own a Suunto 5, but I’m very disappointed with the watch but also the app. That’s why I was looking into other options.
One of the options is Coros, but I also looked at Polar.
What I don’t like about Polar is, that they don’t support ANT+.
I would really like something that also gives recovery advise, sleep tracking, 24/7 HR tracking (resting HR) and a app/web based option to track and look data.
I don’t think the Wahoo watch is an option as it doesn’t seem to to do any of the above well, and don’t offer an app that would let me look up these things either.
I would love to read experiences and also comparisons, thoughts, ideas…I hope for Polar to come up with great deals in the next days…Coros doesn’t offer any deals.
I don’t run a lot anymore as I had injury issues in the past but go for a run every once in a while. Is there any system that would communicate with the wahoo bolt? Or would I need to record on both, the bolt and watch?

Looking forward to your comments.
Winoria

I’m eying the Coros Pace 2 which is incredible value for the money. The reasons why I didn’t pull the trigger are that it’s very run centric (I think VO2 max and a few other metrics react only to runs) and that there are no recovery metrics implemented (as of now). I’m hopeful that software updates bring some recovery metrics, but that might be just wishful thinking. The watch is capable of 24/7 HR tracking - it just doesn’t do anything with the info yet. I’m tempted to use HRV4Training with the watch as device to measure recovery. But I’m actually not sure if that will work properly. Chest straps are superior for accurate HRV measurements.

Btw you can download the Coros app and play around without having a watch. Probably the easiest way to figure out if it’s better than the Suunto app.

To my knowledge it’s unfortunately the later one. Recording on both. Happy to be proven wrong. I would love a solution as well.

I’m a huge fan of my polar vantage. The hrv and sleep score is a game changer. Plus does everything else I want and doesn’t have the cost of a true smart watch

1 Like

Can you share some more details?

Pretty close to whoop. Takes you resting hr hrv and sleep stages to tell u a score. Helps alot with a sleep routine

1 Like

If you haven’t done so please check dcrainmaker.com. Also worth checking is DesFit youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVhS0qulkRshtLrXMeMToQ

Do you use your watch to record your cycling in addition to yTR and/or cycling computer?

I have and it worked ok.but prefer my normal head unit

But how do you then get the recovery metrics right?

It doesn’t take that into account. But in reality it doesn’t matter your body only cares if its recovering and seeing adaptation.

If still don’t get it. Assuming I only cycle. Never record it on the watch. The watch would always think I am fully recovered as inherent never was any load? What do I get wrong?

The watch can track your workouts but in addition while your a sleeping it tracks your hrv and heartrate. Also your sleep patterns. These Three metrics can help u track recovery. Completely separate of your workouts.

2 Likes

I’m im the exact same situation as you were right now. I’m looking for a Watch that records my daily routine and sleep etc. and also my training load. I was looking at the Fenix 6, but I am using a Bolt so I think it wouldn’t consider my bike workouts? What didn’t you like about the Fenix 5? How did you decide?

So you can probably have a way for the workouts on the Bolt to upload to garmin connect and then it could determine load that way!?

Depending on what other activities you do the fenix could be overkill but they’re nice watches if comparing them to the rest of the segment.

Coros actually has started developing its platform to add more training tools so it might be something to consider, esp when considering their lower price point (which means more money for bike gizmos lol)

1 Like

I’ve searched the Internet and so far I haven’t come across a solution on how to upload rides recorded on a Wahoo device to Garmin Connect. I mean in could just let the Watch record the rides as well and only use the bolt for navigation, but that seems like making things more complicated than they are.

I get that the Fenix might be a little overkill for what I want, but I think its better to have the options than to miss them later on. And to be honest: I like the looks of the Fenix and with Christmas around the corner, I could maybe justify the purchase. The only downside is that it would render my Bolt useless (at least in terms of recording my rides).

Edit: I was able to test the Coros Apex and while I really liked the Watch (especially the battery), I really disliked the App and user interface. So Coros is out for me.

1 Like

Back in the day, when commuting to work was a thing for me…i’d use my watch for my commutes (as i didn’t need gps or details on my speed, etc) and my bike computer for other “more serious” rides.
And have you tested the COROS app recently? Cause the overhaul happened in the last 2-3 weeks if i remember well.

Also its your lucky day, this just came out minnutes ago

To go back to the bolt uploading to other platforms…only other way i can see it is by manually getting the FIT files or whatever they are.

1 Like

Tested the Coros Watch and the app just last week. I get that it comes down to personal preference and that eventually I might just get used to the app, but honestly at that price point I want to have a product that I like and not just one that I find mediocre at best.

But thanks for the video recommendation! Maybe I’ll find an alternative there :slight_smile:

1 Like

My GF loves(ed) the battery life on her Coros, but the rest of her user experience has been a let down compared to my Fenix 6 Pro.

I had an base F5, it was fine, but not great. I replaced it with the F6 and I really enjoy it for everything. I haven’t played with anything else, so I can’t compare.

As far as I know, you can not get any recovery metrics on a Garmin without a compatable Garmin device. And so far I am not sure I trust the load metrics that come from TR to Garmin, but I need to play with that.

2 Likes