Pacing 3 minute hill effort

Anyone have any science or personal experience in optimal pacing strategy for a 3 minute (+/- 15 seconds) PR attempt on a hilly segment (avg 5%)?

Being so short, I was wondering if there might be a better pacing strategy than slight negative split which is what best bike split suggests. And taking into consideration gradient changes.

If you can wait until people like Ed Laverack post their videos from the UK National Hill Climb championships (27 Oct), you might get some helpful ideas.

That hill is a bit steeper, but this year’s event is expected to be won in a time close to that range.

https://www.strava.com/segments/37204251

How long can you hold 120%, 130% ,140%, 150% of your ftp? This should give you some idea of pacing strategies.

1 Like

Good call! I’ll take a look.

Here is Harry Mac with a 3’28" climb. Data overlay on the video, the link below should take you to the start line

5 Likes
  1. Do it once. Kinda hard, but the key is to keep it steady.
  2. Repeat with strava live segment status on your gps unit. Aim at steadily increasing your gap throughout the segment.
  3. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
  4. Fail to beat your last best.
  5. Here’s your optimal RPE/power/HR or whatever your metric of choice is :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Gradient changes, well go harder when its steep and ease off a tiny when less steep. Other than that, look at your best 3 min power and use that as the baseline to float around.

1 Like

What is this “pacing” thing you’re talking about?

2 Likes

That video is super helpful. Good to keep something in the tank for the final 30 seconds.

I went out too hard when setting a baseline and went about 20% lower power on second half vs first. The opposite of negative split :). Always too ambitious.

The grade on my hill is only 5% so speed is actually pretty high (17/18 mph or 28/29kph) so probably shouldn’t get out of the saddle at all until maybe the last kick.

Aiming for 3 min flat but did it in 3:09 so have some work to do!

Good tips! I should have looked at my power earlier on but the beginning is quick with a couple turns so didn’t realize how over my target I was until I was blowing up at the top. I also did it pretty cold (5 min ride over) so less perception of effort.

This is a use case in wich the concept of critical power by Monod & Sherrer is really useful. You can get a really close estimate of what power you are able to hold for a certain amount of time. A slightly less precise alternative is to use your power/duration curve to find your target power.

The most important thing to consider is to not overcook in the first minute although a slightly higher power than your target average power would probably be ok. In my experience it is usually possible to dig a little deeper the last 10-15 seconds, depleting the remaining anaerobic capacity, if necessary.

It also depends on the topography of the hill. One ~4-minute hill I used to do hill repeats on would have two small dips, so you would not want to pace evenly.