Pacing endurance rides by power or HR? Benefits of short endurance rides

How do you pace your endurance rides? Is there any benefit to short z2 rides (60-90minutes) ?

I do most of my endurance rides by power, but I record my HR to allow me to assess my HR Decoupling.

Check out this thread

1 Like

I think there was a study that said the benefits of low intensity riding kick in at about 80 minutes? Anyone know where it is?

Since I heard that Iā€™ve been trying to find time to push my high L2 rides to 90m whenever possible.

I Shoot for 70-75% FTP for anything up to 3 hours, a little less is ok if longer, keeping an eye on HR. I know what it usually is at that intensity, and might drop the power slightly if itā€™s way above (+10-15bpm) that for no good reason, or if my breathing increases.

1 Like
  • Discussed at length here:

The smart guys over at Empirical Cycling prescribe endurance rides by RPE/ā€œfeelā€.

It depends on the goal. If Iā€™m going on a long ride for ā€˜testā€™ purposesā€¦like, hey, letā€™s simulate the raceā€¦or if Iā€™m actually in the raceā€¦Iā€™ll pace based on heart rate. Thatā€™s the gold standard.

For training purposes Iā€™ll pace based on power because the idea is to exhaust muscle fibers at that power production. But a constant power ride at zone 2 hr in the first half hour will wind up at a materially higher heart rate zone if you ride long enough. For instance, you might start out pushing 200W at a zone 2 in the first hour of a rideā€¦by hour 5 pushing 200W will be a threshold heart rate effort. The idea being total exhaustion of whatever muscle fibers it takes to push 200W.

I follow a polarized approach and I pace all my endurance rides by HR. If Iā€™m trying to stay near LT1 (aerobic threshold) then I donā€™t want to ride at a higher HR just because it is dictated by the watts I can produce on a particular day. I also like the Steve Neal approach of limiting SS intervals to 83% of HRmax. That keeps your SS interval from getting into a threshold or higher heartrate.

I read some studies a while back that concluded that HGH production peaks at 45 minutes of riding and capillarization and mitochondria buildup peak at around 90 minutes of riding. I found another study on mitochondria that showed the sweet spot to be 2 hours with more marginal benefits for up to 6 hours.

So if one is time crunched, 45/90 might be something to keep in mind. 45 minutes easy may be a good recovery ride with peak HGH levels for recovery.

Of course, it also depends on how long the event is. If you want to be good on a 3 hour group ride or 5 hour gran fondo, well then, you obviously should try and do some 3 or 5+ hour rides to build the extra endurance.

My understanding is that one of the benefits of the extra long ride is that you are riding in a glycogen low state towards the end. This can help train your fat burning capabilites.