Spark WC Evo 2023 - Feeling Less Agile Compared to Other MTBs?

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently upgraded from my old Spark to the 2023 Spark WC Evo with the XX SL build, weighing in at just under 10.5kg. Prior to this I had old spark and prior this my only MTB experience was with 26” hardtails.

While the bike performs great, I’ve noticed that when I test ride my friends’ bikes, many of them feel more lively and agile in comparison. It’s been a bit surprising, given the Spark’s reputation and weight.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Spark WC Evo or similar models? I’d love to hear your thoughts and whether you’ve made any adjustments to improve handling.

Maybe longer stem?

I also did suspension tunning by WC mechanic…

Thanks in advance

I’ve been on Spark RCs for 7 years and currently on the 2023 Spark RC SL. My build is a bit lighter at 22.8 lbs (10.34kg). My previous model (2018) was about the same weight but only 100/100mm of travel. I’m not sure what bikes you’re comparing yours to, so it’s a bit hard to say what you’re noticing. If you’re comparing the Spark to a 100/100mm or less XC bike, then the Spark is likely going to feel more planted and less playful. This is due to more travel and a slacker head tube making it a more capable down hill and in rougher terrain. The Spark is closer to a “down country” than a pure XC bike like the Trek Supercaliber or Specialized Epic.

The modifications I’ve made to my Spark was to cut the handlebars down to 720mm from 740mm and to nearly slam the stem. Also, I ride generally in “traction/pedal” mode with pretty high shock pressure. At 170lbs (77.1 kg) I have 220 psi in the shock (83psi in the fork). Also removed the dropper post as I don’t need it locally. I’ve found these mods have made it feel less over-biked and more XC. Honestly, 120/120mm of travel is more than I need for my local racing, but I wanted 1 MTB for all my racing and trail riding.

1 Like

I definitely agree with what @MI-XC said. Modern bikes are getting more capable downhill which has to come at the cost of sharp handling.

It’s best to buy a bike that’s most suited for the type of riding you plan on doing. If you’re pushing the downhill sections, then a modern XC or “downcountry” bike could be a good option.

If you’re riding mostly flow trails and you don’t have long/steep technical descents, you might enjoy a bike that’s tuned more for that type of riding.

My hardtail in its current state falls more toward that sharper-handling side of things and has a 68.8° head tube angle with a 100mm fork. It rides my local trails really well and makes for an exciting experience in the most technical sections.

A much more capable bike would likely feel a bit more dull on my local trails, but I do have the option of running a longer travel fork which will slacken out the head tube angle and make the bike more capable all around.

I specced this bike with a low BB which works really well in its current configuration and adapts well to longer travel forks.

If you’re feeling like your bike isn’t handling the way you’d like it to, I’d recommend finding a sharper bike try out to see if that feels more to your liking. :racing_car:

I’ve never ridden the new Spark Evo, but I rode a spark RC (100/100) for about 7 years and switched to an epic 8 (120/120) this year. The epic feels slower in almost all situations, but it’s not (based on segment times and power). More travel and more supple suspension typically feels smoother. Smoother almost always feels slower, but is usually faster. A fully rigid bike on chunky terrain will feel fast as hell, but it will be slower than a FS bike at similar power. I’m a big believer in the “smooth is fast” philosophy, particularly for off road. But smoother can also have a dull/muted feeling at times compared to a “racier” bike, so it can take some of the exhilaration out of the riding experience. Bottom line is that “feel” is often deceiving, but can still be important if that’s what gets you excited to ride.

As far as handling/turning, that’s where a slacker bike may or may not be faster and it really comes down to terrain, riding style, and technique. But again, I’d lean toward comparing segment times vs. going off feel. I’m not slower on tech/turn-y segments on my Epic, but I’m also not an elite bike handler. Maybe someone with better skills might be slowed down by the slacker geometry, but I find it makes me more confident and smoother.

1 Like

I’d take a more exhilarating, memorable, and fun ride over one that was overall “faster” any day.

The bike has to be right for your terrain and riding style.

It’s kind of like driving a supercar on the road. It won’t feel fast until you’re well over the speed limit. Something like a Miata though is much more fun to drive at the speed limit. The supercar isn’t necessarily the wrong car for you if you’re taking it somewhere to drive it at its full potential, but if you aren’t, it’s probably overkill and you’d likely have more fun in a smaller car designed to be on its limit at lower speeds.

Will that supercar record faster times out on the road? Yes, probably, but which will feel more fun? They were each designed with something specific in mind.

1 Like

Did someone went to or from new spark to other FS bike to share the difference?

Even if you are racing? And I guess everyone has a different interpretation of “fun” and fun can come in different flavors. It can be a bunch of fun to take a sports car around the track and slide/drift through the corners and use the throttle as your steering wheel (resulting in a very slow lap around the track). But it’s also a lot of fun (and I’d argue much more challenging and rewarding) to see how smooth and fast you can go and get the best possible lap time. And when you are racing, that’s what it’s about. Being fast and competing isn’t the only way to have fun, but it’s pretty fun.