TR Running thread 2022

Thank you, that’s gold.

Back home from Boston. Immediately after I was a little bummed as I didn’t have the run I was hoping. I’m not generally goal oriented and really enjoy the process of training but I felt/feel like I have a great run in me. Despite knowing Boston isn’t generally a course known for PRs. Anyway, I ran a 2:57 which is a time I’m proud of on that course.

I ran Boston in the Fall but this race was much different. The full field proved to be an unexpected challenge. I was boxed in from the start and had to fight to make my way through the field. I knew if I kept surging through people I would end up paying for it later in the race so I settled in and figured it would open up after a few miles. Only it never did. I was shoulder to shoulder through mile 17/18 but by then I was settled into my pace. It was amazing to see a herd of runners throughout the entire run.

It was a great experience but now time for a bit of a break before ramping things back up for Chicago in the fall.

8 Likes

We all have different yardsticks we measure ourselves by, but sub 3 is always great imo. Well done.

3 Likes

That was my Boston experience back in 2019 as well. SOOO many fast runners. Combine that with the unmatched crowd support for the full 26.2 miles makes it really special race.

3 Likes

Alright, so finally got to my measly 30km weekly mileage, BarryP style, all z2 for now, which to me is more than anything ive done But the 9k run yesterday was not as easy as i’d want it to feel before moving ahead so i’ll keep it at that same mileage this week with the hope that i can get to 50 km within the next 8 weeks which probably won’t happen as it would require me to keep increasing my mileage 10% every single week. But i need a “recovery” week every so often.

My z2 has gotten faster, my heart rate at x pace has gotten lower. It’s not effortless but now its been about 5 weeks of 6d/week, and i’m relatively happy with the improvements i’m seeing.

I’m just happy that i’m sticking with it esp when compounded with the biking and swimming and strength/mobility on top…its just a lot.
Now if i could get my sleep under control …

7 Likes

Yeah sounds like a good time for an easy week, solid progression there!

FWIW the 10% thing is just a very general guideline for when you want to increase mileage, but it doesn’t really have a specific time frame attached and it might be a little tough to do so on a weekly basis especially if you have a considerable bike/strength load as well. Obviously pretty individual but I certainly wouldn’t feel tied to it!

1 Like

Quick question that I haven’t seen asked/answered here before:

With the newer carbon-plated shoes and big cushy soles, are there downsides to using these for all training? I know they are listed as “race-day” shoes, but why? They feel great for running all the time. I’m wondering if the structure increases risk of some sort of injury. Obviously they are more expensive, but otherwise any downsides that people know of? Thanks!

I think it depends on the person and the shoe.
I know that I like the Soucony Endorphin Pro I have. I would use it on all runs. I have use it on moderate run to break them in and they work well! But I know this is a shoe meant to go fast, and doesnt work well on wet roads.

That said. There are shoes that are aimed to be used at certain speed.
For example, other than the feel, there is probably little to gain on using a 200+ shoe that would last maybe 300 miles on “garbage miles”. It will not help, it will not harm.

The new Reebok Floatride X (same floatride shoe, with CF plate) apparently is not a great shoe for big speed changes, but work super well for steady long distance run. Is apparently a marathon shoe, not a shoe recommended for short very fast run. In the other hand is a shoe that cost $170 and if the normal floatride is any indication, this shoe will last 500+ miles. But this is the goal of the shoe.

Anyway… I think its more about value per mile than anything else.

1 Like

I have the Endorphin pros and use them just for racing - they give me a mental and physical boost and tell me I’m racing…I wouldn’t train in them - I have Asics 1000s for that. Just like I only ride my disc and 90mm carbon deep rim on my TT bike in a race…plus yes as mentioned at £150+ a pair I’m only using them for racing :laughing:

2 Likes

Because originally when they came to market were being cited as only good for just 200 - 250 miles. So keep them for race day.
Cost per mile is a good point.

This has been since disproved and I have heard people getting as many / more miles than a traditional pair.

There is something for keeping a pair, carbon or not, that you only every run fast in. I have three pairs of Clifton 8s, an everyday shoe, but the orange ones I never run slow in. So when I lace them up I automatically get a psychological boost and normally run better.

Good points. I did all of my training recently in the New Balance Fuelcell RC Pro v2 (by the way what’s with all the ridiculous names these days? You need a decoder wheel to know what you’re looking at half the time). They actually ended up lasting a lot longer than a “traditional” pair. I think the foams are just higher quality or something.

I’ll plan to use these on my long runs and everything else in a cheaper/traditional shoe?

Kind of ironic - I was just stopping by to ask how long should I break in these fancy Saucony Endorphin Pro’s that I got last fall. My first “speedy” race is this Sunday. Was thinking of wearing them tonight for a 40 min tempo run with a few short intervals. Would that be enough?

Normal everyday shoes are Asics Novablast and Hoka Clifton 7’s

1 Like

As Joel noted, it really just depends on the person and shoe.

I for one like to use a ‘heavier’ daily trainer for slower (recovery to upper endurance zone) miles, slightly lighter for tempo/threshold miles and then carbon plated shoe for race day. I will however mix in the carbon plated shoes on long runs at lower (ie. faster) endurance zone or runs with race pace efforts. I do this two primary reasons 1) time in the shoe and 2) the added benefits of the carbon plate and higher stack height typically found in these shoes which help limit or mitigate the wear on the legs/knees during these runs.

A lot of runners I know, myself included, have moved away from the idea of having to ‘break’ shoes in before race day. I dont know if it’s the advancement of technology used in shoes today but I’ve had no issues lacing up a new pair of shoes on race day… The only caveat being that I’ve used the same shoe prior to race day; same model shoe.

2 Likes

Not rich enough to speak from experience, but I have heard they can actually benefit training by keeping your legs fresher and allowing for a slightly higher training load.
Though I’m not sure if that’s specifically attributed to the carbon plates or the amount of foam (which you may also find in other models.) Or whether that’s more significant than the kind of surface you’re running on etc.

Aside from that I think it’s mostly cost/wear concerns, but no AFAIK there’s no significant downsides if you’ve got the budget.

2 Likes

For me it depends on the lenght of your event. 10km and less I’d just want a couple of short runs just to check theres no weird fit or manufacturing issues.
Events 15km plus I like at least 25 miles on a pair of shoes ideally 30 - 40… I recently had a pair where that an issue that showed up 8 miles into a 10 mile run (was training for a Marathon.)

I think it’s the foam that make this possible.
Most shoe companies have move away from Eva and now use something similar to the material that is used on the boost. We can thank adidas for taking a chance and changing the running shoe industry.

All these foams do not deteriorate as Eva foams. Plus they don’t need time to get them molded. So now days all shoes are ready to roll from day one.

Granted, i would use a new shoe a few times before a race to make sure the fit is right and that they will not rub the wrong way. Hell there are people who can’t even run on most carbon plated shoes for whatever reason… So test is what you want, not really break in.

2 Likes

What’s funny is that I’m pretty sure his event is right in between at 12k

you racing/running Bloomsday? it is 12KM - if not great guess!

Yup, super excited that it’s back to being live. Looks like we should get some good cool running weather