TR Running thread 2022

Probably not… but there no official word yet.

If you have a look at the feature request forum there’s a “Import swim and run…” thread. They took a poll and found that very few people wanted Stryde/power so I think it’s at the back of the queue.

1 Like

Yeah, then i see Jonathan was testing out his new stryd yesterday for a 5k. Might influence that decision.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Maybe TR will negotiate a 50% discount for us?

Jeff Galloway training.

Anyone done the magic mile workout? I seem to have come off with a 10k pace mile rather than an all out PB :flushed:

I have done the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk and remember the magic mile… But not sure what was that about.

Magic mile workout inside the plan is just: run a mile as fast as you can, track your progress over time.

You might use a VDOT calculator to get you in the ballpark for estimated pace. Might look here and see the „Equivalent“ tab:

For example using my 5k PB gets me a good estimate of potential best mile equivalent.

(Im no expert but I guess magic mile might yield different results for different athletes just as the ramp test protocol. Diesel type athletes might do magic mile slower than potential VDOT equivalent.)

Not sure I understand…You mean you ran a mile as fast as possible and your pace was same as 10k best pace…that seems way off :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah that seems a little far out- might be worth a retest if it’s something you’re interested in.
FWIW though, mile time will be more heavily skewed by your recent training than something like a 5/10k time- top end fitness comes and goes quickly, so if you’re doing more steady/low-intensity training it might not move the needle much.

1 Like

Happy Easter everyone.

I went to Galloway’s site entered my numbers and got way off predictions, so I reduced it to one that lines predictions with my 5k time.

Probably the lack of magic shoes and/or hangover :slight_smile:

I’ve done run/walk for my long runs and IM but never followed his training protocol. As much as it’s touted to work for sub 3h marathoners it does come across as a beginner protocol.

Drills so far are with “a long term aim of increasing cadence to around 180”…which I’m already at or above.

But it’s nice to have something to experiment with. I’ll probably keep up quality intervals once per week alongside it for a few weeks.

@JoeX What is you standalone Marathon vs IM Marathon. Just interested if you are willing to share.

Ah…

A 1 mile time trial… I guess I never read the book properly

I think it’s already posted somewhere, so my shame is already out there - last year I was 5h and 5h31. Hence my running focus this year.

I should be okay breaking 4h stand-alone, from my performance at shorter distances but I fail to hold race pace longer than 24-25km. I really struggle with long runs over that length at easier paces too.

Most obvious factors are high bodyfat and low run volume, which I’ve been working on since October with mixed success. I got my run volume up about 50% on last year but now have a medical issue I need to resolve so I’m down to low run volumes again until May at least.

1 Like

Thanks for replying, I did look, I know its out there.

In my limited experience I would not use anything under 15km to predict a FM, especially given that you struggle with long runs.

I am assuming that biomechanical factors are your limitations, as they are with most with a big aerobic engine.

I am a big believer in Run Every Day, RED, volume really pays but there is a serious need to not over do it and control the injuries and injury risk.

3 Likes

Ok team, I finally got back out there today during lunch after a longer hiatus than I wanted, but life happens. I’ve been riding just a little bit here and there but wanted to tie up the running shoes again.

No big goals other than over-all health and to mix up my cardio just a bit. Running from the office versus riding saves so much time!

Lessons learned the first go-around:

• I won’t replace riding with running, just adding running as a supplement to my riding.
  • I’ll keep the progression much more conservative
  • No more running through pain, if it hurts, I’ll walk.

Wish me luck!

4 Likes

Do you ride every day? If not, running could be your “recovery” day thing.

I may have misunderstood this. You mean running progression as a whole, not a progression run. :man_facepalming:

The usual progression is adding not more than 10% of the previous week mileage.

This is probably smart. Since my injury Ive been running trying to stay as close as home as possible, because it would suck if the hamstring start hurting and I am still 3 miles from home and have to walk.
My PT have me running up to pain level of 4 out of 10. that means it can get to uncomfortable, but as soon as its more than that, walk. So this will depend on your pain tolerance.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Not daily, at least at this point, but I think it’s a pretty smart plan in general.

That also sounds smart. I’m so gun-shy now that I’ll probably stick to something similar or even more conservative. Thanks Joel.

2 Likes

I get it. Just keep it simple… run slow until you start to get comfortable. Stay close to home and dont be afraid of just walking home. If you have a loop around your neighborhood, I would just do loops. They are boring AF, but at least you are close to home and can stop at any time without the added stress of having to walk in pain for an extended period.

1 Like

You can also use a running track/treadmill or do some loops around a park if you want to stay close by- they’re usually a bit more forgiving impact-wise as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There’s a super quiet neighborhood right across the street from the office so it’s ultra convenient and is basically one mile long loop with a couple of off-shoots I can add on. I’m going to stick with that for now and then branch out to the local park up the road a few miles when I want a change of scenery and am ready for some longer miles.

Today after only my second run my right heel was talking to me a bit (that’s the old injury zone) so I stopped and walked for 1/4 mile, did some light stretching and started running again. Luckily the pain subsided and I was able to run a full 1.5 miles. baby steps.

3 Likes

If the heel issue is the same as the insertional achilles tendonitis you talked about from a couple of months ago, be very careful with stretching.

I battle the same thing a couple of times per season and this is what I’ve learned so far:

Insertional achilles tendonitis is when the tendon in inflamed and irritated where it attaches to the heal. Due to the shape of the tendon and where it attaches, calf stretching in dorsiflexion will really aggravate the injury. Same with doing calf raises where your heel goes lower than your toes, low-drop running shoes or running hills.

Additionally, rest does nothing to fix it. Tendonitis is the Goldilocks of injuries; too little stress, no good. to much stress, no good. I has to be just right. Start with standing on tippy-toes. Progress to body-weight calf raises (don’t drop your heels below your toes). Progress to weighted or single leg calf raises. Continue to run through it all.

Read this post for more information:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6553842#p6553842

Also this

3 Likes