TR Running thread 2022

I’m surprised each spring when I get back into running by a) how awful easy tempo feels at the beginning, b) how slow I have to go to maintain my HR within zone limits, and c) how after 4 weeks, without realizing it, I’m back into “reasonable” tempo in easy runs, and can stretch those runs beyond 60 minutes.

9 Likes

I w been feeling awful for about four months so far :sweat_smile:

Despite feeling awful I seem to be able to turn up the effort and cope with the pace. It’s my easy/recovery runs that feel the worst.

3 Likes

Used to do a ton of running (1hr30 half marathon many moons ago!) but not done any proper running in years. Maybe time to get back into it a bit?

Like most cyclists, my aerobic base tricks me into thinking I can run for miles right off the bat, but my joints would rather I did not… So, any tips for a cyclist looking to start back running? I’m guessing just keep the distances short to beign with, and not over do it?

4 Likes

Yep, but easier said than done.

Start with a short, easy run breathing only through your nose. Ramp up volume (time) around 10% per week. Look to introduce harder runs once you have a solid weekly volume you’re happy you don’t want to increase.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with heel striking as long as you are not over striding imo.

1 Like

yeah… I mentioned this later…
natural gait is the best one…

any idea what a healthy 70.3 hopeful would want on average. would it be double for an IM athlete? I am asking in terms of time.

I do not have plans to compete in Tri at the moment but I would like to know how long it would take to get from where I am to this amount.

Finish time for a first 70.3, if it’s your first triathlon could be anything. Plus the variabilities of courses and weather, and the athletes themselves… Most people go as fast as they can on the swim (rightly or wrongly), then I’d estimate for 0.75 IF on the bike and run whatever you have left.

From a well executed half, you’d likely be able to aim for double that time, plus an hour for a full. Assuming the execution goes well again.

this is priceless! I would be one of those folks to wreck myself on the swim just to get out of the sharks’ way.

1 Like

There is no shame in doing short walk breaks when increasing mileage. On a bike, we get those recoveries all the time slowing down at intersections or going down hill. Eventually you’ll need them less and less. Patience is super important, consistency is more important than reaching some specific mileage target by a certain date.

4 Likes

Is anyone aware of any research between Long Endurance running and more intense running vs Long endurance cycling with faster endurance running (like slower than M pace but still ‘pushing’) and some intense running.

1 Like

Sounds like marathon running vs triathlon running?

1 Like

yea basically.

Research in what specifically?
Whats more effective?

pros and cons. tradeoffs.
How important is LSD running

2 Likes

Cool…

Sorry I have nothing…But if you do find anything…please let us know…

I cant recall any.

But there are associated things like research, into cross training instead of running for marathon runners performance is inconclusive, good for some not for others.

There’s research on higher than usual intensity, lower volume running for marathon training, ie the emotive subject of Run Less Run Faster protocols. Science says it works, but people don’t like that.

On long runs specifically, I like the summary from That Triathlon Show, that the benefit/risk of long runs tips over around the 1h45-2h mark.

I think that’s in here:

Also might want to look at this:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Training-to-Enhance-the-Physiological-Determinants-Midgley-Mcnaughton/750a9f938867d0daa350ada4aaaf439da47b2629?p2df

1 Like

man, reminding me how far behind I’ve gotten in MIkael’s show. Some good looking episodes in there. I definitely lost a lot of training focus the past 2 years.

My 2c on the topic. You should run as frequently as you can, much of it easy. Once you’ve maximized your training time, then worry about doing more of them harder since you can’t add any more time. I almost always seem to end up in peaks and valleys and I can never truly hold the maximum amount of training time I can do. When I was younger, I was definitely running harder for most of my runs since I didn’t know any better, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve been getting more and more time off from running injuries so focusing on those easy mileage is important as I can’t do hard work without that solid base of easy miles.

A good follow on Strava are Kristian Blummenfeldt and Gustav Iden, those guys are absolutely killing it the last few years and they are doing a lot of really easy training. Sure, they also kill it when they go and do their camps, but Gustav is mostly just running in the mountains super easy when he’s home in NOrway. Even when he does some road base runs, him and Kristian are doing 7 + minute miles.

1 Like

Race Report Time!

There is a very popular 10k run here every February. It sells out in about 2 days (I have a theory that this is because it goes on sale in September and people forget how grim Yorkshire is in February) and has people come to it from all over the UK. I had thought that I would have a really good winter run block, do this race and then head into the new season with a nice new PB and a good level of fitness. For many reasons that did not happen!

Earlier in the week the forecast was for warm(ish), dry, still conditions. What we got was a storm the night before with horrendous winds which caused both my partner and I to consider hiding under the duvet the next morning. However, by the time we got up it was only slightly windy with a chance of rain but generally blue skies so off we went.

Just before the start the rain began to fall, and got heavier, then lighter and by the time we were off it had completely cleared leaving only some wind to contend with.

The course is an out and back, gently rising on the way out and falling for the run back. Almost impossible not to do at least a little bit of a negative split.

I wasnt expecting a lot so just hitched my waggon to a couple of other runners going at about an effort level I was happy with and got on with it. Happy to pass through the halfway being on for about a 43 minute even split, knowing that the negative split nature of the course would take me closer to 42. Had to dig in a couple of times at the end as the wind swung around to hit me in the face. Finished with a 42.14 which is only 22 seconds off my PB. Very happy with that given the lack of specific (or really any) training.

8 Likes

Did a very interesting wo today at the track
So you start at lane 1 and do one lap @ mile pace
Then move to lane 2, then 3 and keep going till lane 6.
The WTF factor is that ALL laps on ALL lanes SHOULD be the same time. So you are running faster than mile pace on the last lane.
Rest is about the same as it takes you do the laps (we walked)
I thought it was going to be easy…Spoiler…it is not…

Edit…
Forgot to add… Then you do it in reverse…so same thing… starting on lane 6 and ending on lane 1

4 Likes