TR Running thread 2022

OOOF! That sounds brutal! A very quick google has given me the stat that the 6th lane on a running track is about 40m longer than lane 1. Last time I ran consistently on the track I could reasonably do lap repeats in 1:25 (3:33 per km) which would give me a final lap of 3:14 per km! Definitely want to go and have a go at that!

1 Like

My goal was between 80 and 85 per lap.
First lap was 81.
Lane 6 was 87.

Second lane 1 was 80… but I was dead by the end.

3 Likes

Good to know… we were talking about it on the track…

for those who are interested/care… I found this and its interesting information…

Interesting race report. I’ve been thinking of racing a 5k or 10k now that I’ve been running somewhat regular for a bit (~month).

Hesitating a bit b/c running 5k’s (especially cold ones) usually gives me track hack for a day or two and I’d rather not have to explain that. There are a few st paddy’s 5/10k’s that may be far enough off to be feasible though.

1 Like

There was certainly a lot of coughing at the line on the weekend! Giving everyone a big berth.

I have never done a 5k race because I get my 5k fix at parkrun most weekends. Will be going for another 10k at the other end of this year. All the ones I want to enter seem to be in cold conditions because the next one is in November!

1 Like

It’s self enforcing though, especially as you age because running 80+ miles per week on a bad diet starts to get difficult.

1 Like

Tell me (and my mid section) about it.
It get harder and harder

So as I am still on IR from the bike due to a surgery on my perineum, I finally broke down and went for a run today…

Now, I was never a great runner, but could hold my own in tri’s, usually giving back less time than I gained on the bike…but I hadn’t run in ~4 years (fall 2017).

Ooof…2 miles @ 9:00 / mile pace and it was just brutal. Legs hurt, lungs hurt and soooooo slow!!! :woozy_face::woozy_face:

But it was nice day here in Chicago (32* and blue skies) so it was great to get outside and get some exercise. Since all the trails are still covered in snow and the roads are covered in salt, I may keep doing short runs at lunch even once I get back on the bike.

6 Likes

So,

Not sure if you have shared, or want to share, but what prompt you to stop doing triathlons?

I was always a cyclist first…started doing tri’s in 2009 when a buddy wanted to do one and asked me to do it with him. Long story short, I had a DVT and PE that fall and was put on blood thinners. Not wanting to race bikes on thinners, I stuck w/ tri’s for a few years.

In 2018, I switched back to full time cycling since I was kinda burnt out on swimming. At some point, I need to do a full IM again as I never had a good 140.6 race. Need to finish one actually running the full distance. :persevere:

3 Likes

You can’t escape us, we’ll have you back one day, it is…inevitable. :wink:

2 Likes

Reference the cadence @jdman … myself I settle into a 165, try to get 180 but it always drifts down no matter the stride length… Did see a thing about how you find a good cadence. Try bouncing up and down on the spot, around once a second and see how energy inefficient that is, start bouncing until you reach a bounce that is easy to maintain and one that doesn’t require much effort (i’m sure guy did this on a mini trampoline but I’m sure on ground works as well) This is probably a good cadence for you. Natural bouncing sweetspot. I think he did this as part of a warm up to, to get his body in the right bounce feel. Anyway feed back by all appreciated on this!

I’m currently passing the 30km a week as weather improves and winter “rest” ends, and hope to get twice that by April and keep increasing. Switched mainly to Altra Olympus 4’s for winter and now back to doing my runs in Vibram Five fingers (VFF)… really noticed the difference, after only two months out of them I felt a loss of foot strength… knees began aching on small runs. Its now been two weeks and ramping back up again in the VFF and everything feels good again, calves a little tight for first week but that was expected, knees having no issues. Plan going forward is to do all my training runs in VFF and any events in the Altras.

Altras lasted 2 months! (260km), so I returned them without hassle and they’ve been replaced. Ended up choosing them again because they feel so nice to run in on the trail, light grippy, comfort, thus limiting them to events and a monthly organised trail run, that will probably make them last the season. Hope they continue to improve them, something other than tissue paper mesh on top would improve durability, but that probably why they are so comfortable! With the replacements, for my outlay I should get the expected 450km+, so I’ll be happy.

Only have a couple events currenlty planned, Keswick mountain festival, just going to do the half marathon there and doing the mini 50km ultra in the Snowdonia mountains… the baby event of the three :slight_smile: Depending on how that all goes I may get a longer event in towards the end of the year.

4 Likes

A tip I got from a long-time runner to help with both stride and cadence: just think about leaning a tad forward. That automatically a) puts you more mid-foot than heel, b) shortens your stride (you’re on the verge of falling forward), and c) forces you to up the cadence. It’s something I remind myself to do during the warmup easy run, and through the easy tempo portions of any workout. Reminds me of the constant “sit bones!” comments in the TR workouts.

5 Likes

Yup…this x100. Also be very conscious of how you stand and where you weight is distributed on your feet. Once I started doing that, I was shocked at how far “forward” my feet were, with my weight over my heels. Once I started shifting my feet back in my stance, it greatly helped my running cadence and foot strike.

I have a hard disagreement with those instructions, especially as it pertains to more aero positions.

as a counter point regarding cadence: your natural cadence is fine.
There is nothing inherently wrong with it. There are people who has faster, other slower.
My cadence is ridiculously quick…like 240 on 200m all out sprints (36s)…
I look like a cartoon moving my legs…

:man_shrugging:

The main issue for beginners is a tendency to over-stride, which is a) inefficient as your CG goes up and down for nothing, and b) hard on the joints. A faster cadence means a shorter stride, and it’s really the stride length that’s the issue rather than the cadence.

2 Likes

yeah

I have been cursed/blessed with short legs long torso…
so I have to get my legs moving to get some speed…

I have try to extend my stride with mixed results.
It has gotten better tho…
my easy cadence was 195 @ 8:30s
now is 190 @ 8:00…

1 Like

and c) can cause injuries.

I was a horrible heel striker. It literally took me years to adjust my stride / foot strike. I even have video of my heel striking in VFF. :scream::scream::scream:

During all that time, I had almost every lower leg injury you can name…plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, stress fracture, IT band…you name it, I had it.

It wasn’t until I strengthened my glutes and finally got my feet to land under me that I was able to run injury-free.

3 Likes

I found that when I was running a lot a short sharp session of say 10x200m@mile pace really helped with cadence, efficiency and 5k pace provided it was supplemented by some longer 400-1200m intervals at 3-5k pace. If you are running fast you kind of have to run in your best form. Mind you I think now it would just injure me so I just do 7-9 mile runs starting slowly and speeding up every mile with the last couple at 10k pace.

Friends,

Super basic TR/Running question. As I’ve allowed cycling to take a back seat to running for now, I’d still like to use the functionality of the TR calendar. My calendar doesn’t sync my Strava runs, is this even a possibility at this point? It’s not something I’ve paid much attention to until now since my cycling activities are the minority now. Thanks!