Tri bike fit - new crankset

Hey all, I had a fit done on my tri bike when I bought it back in April. It came with 165mm cranks. I just put a new 170mm crankset on it. Is moving the saddle down 5mm a simple solution? Is there more to it, do I need the fit to be done over? Thanks!

Depends on what you mean by “solution”.

• If all you want to do is get effectively the same leg extension, YES… that is all you need.

• But keep in mind that dropping the saddle 5mm will also move the saddle forward a couple mm and shorter your Saddle Fore-Aft over the BB. This means you are ever so closer to the handlebars which may or may not be your intent. So an additional fore-aft adjustment could be in order.

• Then, unless you also changed your handlebar setup (drop in particular), the lower saddle height will decrease your saddle to handlebar drop. Again, may be intended result of the crank change, or could mean you want to lower the front end a similar amount to keep the same upper body placement, just with lower/longer cranks.

Simple, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ugh, :joy:. That’s what I figured. I’ll drop the saddle to start and see how it feels.

Better yet, I’ll email my fitter and see what he thinks!

Thanks!

1 Like

Heck yeah, make them earn that $$$ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like