What are the best online bike stores? (USA)

What are the best stores you’ve found to shop for gear online? Why do you like them?

I’m looking for new stores to shop for my cycling gear from bikes to wheels to components to clothes to the basics. I want to make sure I’m looking in all the right places.

Thanks

I think the answer to this question depends heavily on where in the world you are located?

4 Likes

Yes. Thanks. I live in the US and shop at stores including Competitive Cyclist, Bike Tires Direct, and Performance Bike but also use UK stores like Merlin and European stores like Bike24 and deporvillage that ship to the US and sometimes have better deals than US ones even with the extra shipping costs. I’m also looking for stores in Europe that might not ship to the US for when I travel there and need something. So US, UK and European stores.

1 Like

[offtopic] Support your LBS! :wink: [/offtopic]

10 Likes

Worldwide Cyclery - Best Selection
CARSON CITY BIKE SHOP - Cheapest (but scary)
RA Cycles - no sales tax and surprisingly good deals

If possible I go right to the manufacturer’s site and buy direct, or amazon.
My LBS (Trailhead Cycling or Freewheel Bikes) is my first stop.

Why scary?

Product descriptions that do not match there web picture.
Again, they have some of the best (lowest) pricing.

Check out BikeInn and Lordgun for non us purchases.

2 Likes

are we talking clothing or parts? for clothing, I like Pactimo. Quality stuff and frequently on sale

2 Likes
  • Per his OP (quoted below), seems to be everything short of nutrition by my reading:

Blockquote * Per his OP (quoted below), seems to be everything short of nutrition by my reading:

That’s true @mcneese.chad. I’m looking for stores with a wide selection of products that regular cyclists like me and those serious enough to sign up for TR would go to for the range of things we might need.

In addition to good prices, I’d also like stores I can trust.

I just buy from all of them. I typically do a search on ebay, google shopping, and stores I’ve used in the past. A lot of my parts have come from the UK and Europe. I have no problem with used in near new condition off ebay if the price is a large discount.

They have all been more or less fine. I’ve never experienced a bad order, defective part, etc.

I wouldn’t order anything fragile, hard to ship, or something I think I might return.

1 Like

My favorite is https://www.biketiresdirect.com/. Of note it’s also the same site as https://www.westernbikeworks.com/

They have a big selection and will run good periodic sales. After you’ve bought a few times from them you will also become a gold member which gives you access to extra deals. Very reliable, they used to be my LBS down the street before both they (across town) and I (to the sext state over) each moved

I’ve had good luck with groupset parts with jensonusa.com. often competitive cyclist doesn’t have things they do and vise versa. Will probably upgrade to shimano 8170 this year and i’m guessing I’ll buy most from jenson but shopping still needs to be done plus giving my LBS a chance to see what their prices are.

PowerMeterCity is great to work with. Prices competitive, good knowledge articles, and they ship fast too. Just snagged a Transmission Spider Power Meter and chainrings that hadn’t been in stock anywhere else and it was at my house in 2 days.

Jenson, Competitive Cyclist (Same as Backcountry), Worldwide Cyclery, Performance Bicycle. Sometimes REI has stuff.

Amazon worries me for some stuff because of reports of counterfeits.

I like my LBS (which is a very reputable one and very well known locally), but at the same time I went in there with a Bottom Bracket Issue (Granted, not a run of the mill one) and the tech gave me a bunch of incorrect answers and advice that proved he didn’t really understand how the assembly worked. Proceeded to go home, work with the manufacturer and fix it on my own. One of the reasons I buy stuff and do it myself if I can.

1 Like

Been using Universal Cycles for over 15 years…great selection, quick shipping.

Biketiresdirect.com for me.

Warehouses in OR and NC for fast shipping. Fair pricing plus rewards back towards future purchases, stock levels are always correct. Just a super easy shopping experience

1 Like

Slight tangent, but I have ordered from jensonusa because they are one of the few (only?) that offers free shipping to Canada above $100 or $150. I still don’t get why UK shops can ship for free or small flat rate but US ↔ Canada is exorbitant.

I think it has to do with them shipping Royal Mail and then the USA delivery being handled by the US Post Office under some bilateral agreement that the UK mail order companies have taken advantage of. (The USPS is probably losing on the deal.)

But, since Covid I haven’t gotten the super quick and free royal mail / usps service. I’ve had to use DHL. (I haven’t ordered from the UK in a while so maybe shipping has normalized again?)

1 Like

The Jenson USA warehouse is a trailhead for my local MTB trails, so it kinda is my LBS :wink: