Which spot is more aero for a mini pump bottle cage mount?

Down tube or seat tube? TIA!

Not sure there is any hard data on it, but the down tube makes sense to me. It is closer to horizontal than the seat tube, and we know that vertical cylinders are generally bad aero shapes/orientations.

1 Like

I understand that the most turbulent air is between a riders legs so I’m guessing if it’s somewhere there being aero is not as important.

2 Likes

I have my gravelero tucked behind the seat tube water bottle cage on the non-drive side. I have a 2x setup so there’s some symmetry offset…I think. (will update with picture)

1 Like

the only acceptable place in in the jersey pockets

7 Likes

Ha, well in this case the Velominati can take a hike. I’m only putting this thing on my bike for Leadville because I want as much out of my pockets as possible. Obviously, aero isn’t a huge concern for this use, but I figured either works and if one or the other saves me a watt, I want to do that.

2 Likes

Was about to reply this. It’s a bread and butter of every credible bicycle athlete. Thing I’ve done last what 30 yrs… :see_no_evil:

Well managed to get top tube back for my gravel bike and stuffed it with co2 can and head among other bunch of things. Not gonna get Velominati approval with that, me thinks.

I would just bring 2 co2’s, but the tiny pump weighs the same and won’t run out.

3 Likes

This is a great question!

I mount my lezyne mini pump on the drive-side of the downtube bottle mount. Tucked in as close as possible. My intuition is this is the best option for mounting at a bottle cage, but i have nothing to back that up.

Interested to hear if anyone can bring more substantive info on this.

1 Like

A bottle on the downtube can in some setups be more aero than no bottle but for the seat tube there’s always an aero penalty. I assume it works the same for a pump though I am not sure

1 Like

Yeah, that does make more sense that the downtube would be the answer. Where’s Dylan Johnson when we need him?

2 Likes

I feel like this is a question for Josh Portner in one of the ask josh anything episodes they run on the silca podcast. I love my tattico pump and so do the people whose tires I’ve helped fill with it as well. I use the included bottle cage mount on the down tube on my gravel bike since it’s been mentioned the dirty air coming off chonky gravel tires might negate a lot of downtube aero benefits anyway. As for my road bike that has some aero considerations I’ve done 3 spots with it, none of which are the downtube. My back pocket which always worried me. Never popped out but still a worry. Tucked in to the strap of my mattone underseat bag which was fine, probably aero but made for more sensitive taillight positioning since it could obscure it. Lately I’ve grabbed one of their boa straps and have strapped it to my top tube inside the triangle near the seat tube. It’s messing up the paint a little but that doesn’t bother me. Also it’s a metal bike so I don’t have to worry about scraping or squeezing any carbon in the wrong direction.

I’ll take a humorous hit from velominati.

Since I had a rather painful off, I’d rather not keep any solid metal near my back.

So how about along the top tube?

2 Likes

Yup, under the top tube and just behind the head tube would seem to be rather aero. Stubby version of the old frame pump setup, just strapped in this case since there aren’t any riv-nuts for using the typical pump brackets.

Sure, some bikes have those at upper side of the top tube for bags, but my gut says that even if you were willing to use those clamps there, it would end up a bit too wide and rub for standing efforts. Could be worth a look though, because maybe some setups would be fine this way.

2 Likes

gaffer taped under the top tube is my go-to. I’ll carry a single co2 w/ inflator in back pocket for quick/easy issues, the pump is emergency use only. The gaffer tape is really secure, but very easy/quick to remove if needed. Pic of my leadville setup below. I’d move the pump further forward closer to the head tube, but the tape would block the pacing chart on the top tube.

1 Like

Down the bibs then?

1 Like

Is that your mini pump or are you just happy to see me?

3 Likes

I’ve got the same pump in the same place on my road bike. No idea how aero it is but I basically forget it’s there.

I would imagine that between your legs moving around and the already poorly shaped cylindrical bottle right in front of it, the pump isn’t affecting the airflow too badly.

I think Spinal Tap wrote a song about this