2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

Cervelo ZFS-120 aka Blurvelo TR.

Size L is 24.2 lb as pictured with pedals etc. This is with my old wheelset which is over 1600g. It should be under 23 with the new wheels, but just barely. Around 22.9.

This is a sort of interim build since as mentioned I plan to put FA on there when it’s available after market.

In the nearer term I need to change cages, place holder one from my old bike now. Mid to long term I may move to better/lighter brakes as I have the Bronze level ones on there that came stock on the GX build.

I’m also feeling a little buyers remorse on the Reverb AXS dropper since I could easily save 300g by going to a OneUp V3. The reverb is such a chonker but I was trying to maximize the eventual FA ecosystem benefit.

9 Likes

I love the all black with tan sidewalls tires, very nice! I pay the price on weight for the reverb, the less cables I have to deal the better!

I like the contrast since otherwise it’d be pretty boring, but honestly those are my old wheels and that is just what I happened to have mounted rather than an intentional choice.

The bike is slightly more interesting visually in person than in photos because it’s almost more of a naked carbon than a proper black. You can see the texture of the layup underneath in many places. It’s not rad by any stretch, but I’m happy enough with an understated look.

Only one proper ride on it so far. Climbs really well, feels much more efficient than my previous bike with all Fox float + Fox 34 SC, but unsurprisingly the inverse is true on the descent. Fox felt plusher. I still had good descent times today and like the slacker geo, but I need to dial in the suspension.

I’ve got an AXS dropper and I justify it’s weight by think of the weight that I save when I put a highpost in there :sweat_smile:
I also run my shifting the same as I do on the road. Left hand → up the cassette. Right hand → down the cassette and then top rocker is for the dropper. I prefer that than trying to remember which way round I’ve got the rocker, took a bit of getting used to for using right hand for dropper.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Seeing as how the “old” 32sc was 4 years old and the 34sc only 2 years old, I shouldn’t expect a gold-reverse arch 34 for a couple more years.

That’s a lot of gold!

1 Like

4 Likes

What does the reverb do when paired with the fa?

nothing - it’s not needed for Fa to work. Only reason I can think is as a spare battery holder

Edit: apart from the obvious: being a dropper post of course

1 Like

A friend of mine did some testing of the new 36. He and a YouTuber had both the new and old one, testing each on the same trail and same bike. He said they were hard to tell apart! I imagine it’s on the really rough and steep stuff the differences are more apparent.

I like it mostly because I’m in the market for 34 SC, so hopefully see some big time mark downs on the old stock!

I have heard that It unlocks the suspension when you drop it.

Yes this. It’s not a big deal, but it does ensure that your suspension is fully open when you’re descending with the dropper down so it’s not toggling back and forth to closed modes at a time when you really want to have it fully open and immediately ready for a hit.

1 Like

the question is how does it know? reverb seems to be a simple open/close valve control. I doubt it actually knows if the dropper is up or down or anywhere in between, also have not seen any marketing talk from sram/rockshox. do we have official world from them? they do mention t-type would provide more data but don’t think they say anything about the reverb

1 Like

Maybe it knows by the signal from the controller?

It actually does not take dropper position into account, as the system has no way of knowing the dropper’s position. It knows when you’ve pressed the button to open the valve, but it doesn’t know where the dropper is when you release the button to close the valve again.

2 Likes

I swear in one of the launch marketing videos directly from Rockshox they said that it uses some data from the dropper, but I just went back and rewatched them and there is no mention so I must have hallucinated that.

1 Like

likely the lack of data is the same reason they don’t show dropper info on the axs web, as well as it doesn’t show up as a sensor on your head unit

Yeah it would make a lot of sense but the hardware just isn’t there. Considering how far in advance they SRAM tends to plan things (e.g. UDH for use with Transmission) I’m surprised they didn’t include a small and inexpensive magnetic switch in the Reverbs to detect when it’s bottomed out.

New to me bike for 2024 xc racing and trail riding.

It’s a 2020 trek top fuel (120/115)

Came with the stepcast 34 luckily.

I upgraded:
Crest mk4 wheels with i9 1-1 hubs laser spokes (1615g)
Slx crank with 4iii left power meter
Oneup v2 150mm dropper
Oneup 15mm riser bar (may change for enve flat)
Maxxis rekon race front, Aspen rear (both 2.4)
Xtr cassette, xt shifter
Slx brakes

24.5 lbs with xt pedals and sealant.

9 Likes