2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

Beautiful rig. Looks like the 2020 was the sweet spot between the new and old style Top Fuel. More modern than the older but still an actual XC bike unlike the new Top Fuel.

3 Likes

That Epic World Cup looks sweet! Really wish they would work with Rockshox on flight attendant and get rid of the Brain!

2 Likes

Agree completely, I was in the market and the old Top Fuel was on my listā€¦.then they changed it.

What would the actual benefit be when the sensor detects bumps at 2 hertz and the pedal sensor knows whether youā€™re pedaling or rolling. I think there is even a gyroskop in there so it detects if youā€™re going downhill uphill or straight and will close or open the valve accordingly. More sensors is probably always better but also more complex. Iā€˜m sure it will work just as good as Live valve with its 1000 hertz (I believe?).

The new liv version of the anthem is basically identical to the 20 top fuel. I was hoping giant would release the same thing, but they stuck with 110/100 again this year surprisingly.

Looks sick though!

2 Likes

Definitely a great deal for 4500 and you get carbon wheels. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a rocket.

I just donā€™t understand why they donā€™t have a more high end build?
Iā€™d pretty much strip it down and switch out to my current bikes XTR.

Itā€™s technically last years but they still have this one in stock
edit: xt spec and fox live valve.

Thatā€™s still XT, betterā€¦.but they still seem to hold back on top shelf builds.

Messed up thing is, Cannondale are also doing it, unless you want the Uber expensive Lab71.

No lefty for any other build.

4500 for a new bike with carbon wheels is a good value, but

• 100mm travel
  • 1 bottle cage
  • 67.5 HTA

for a 2024 bike makes me go: https://youtu.be/wLg04uu2j2o?si=nClLoLxdCAWhQbrF

3 Likes

You do realise this is a thread about XC race bikes? Pinkbike is on your other tab :wink:.

Donā€™t take the Cannondale factory team long to ditch that integrated bar!

1 Like

Iā€™m exaggerating a bit for comedic effect, but the anthem is still behind industry trends. Look at the Spark, Oiz, Epic 8, ZFS 120, ASR, new Scalpel, etc.

Different strokes for different folks so if people want a less progressive bike then Iā€™m glad there are options out there for them, itā€™s just a fact that itā€™s little changed from the type of bike you could have bought 5 years ago. Full credit to them that they priced it to what bikes used to cost 5 years ago too so I canā€™t knock that.

I donā€™t think any of that stuff is out of the ordinary for a true xc race bike, and not a down country bike

Got my first dirt ride in yesterday for the year. Top fuel feels amazing. Just the right amount of plush in the suspension but still fast when you get on the gas. Descending felt stable and easy.

I do wish it had a second water bottle in size medium but there really is no room besides maybe on the very bottom.

1 Like

None of the bikes I listed are downcountry bikes though. They are the XC race bikes of almost every major brand and are consistent to what the top riders in XCO are riding.

I personally only race marathon or longer and am biased towards a more DC XC bike since I live in Colorado and my local terrain is rough. If I was racing short course XC in the Midwest or similar topography elsewhere in the world then sure, ride what makes sense for your local terrain. Iā€™m not judging, that bike is just not for me which is fine.

4 Likes

Except that bike linked IS the 2021 Anthem, which was released the same year as the Epic 7 (2021), with exactly the same head-angle and geometry.

Did you mean to say, ā€œGiant hasnā€™t released a new anthem yet, though probably will soonā€?

I didnā€™t exhaustively research it. Teasers of a bike and a link were posted. I looked at the link and thought thatā€™s weirdly boring for a 2024 bike launch and made a joke. Thatā€™s the extent.

This is what the factory team is racing