2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

Are these safe for down country and is there a weight limit?

1 Like

My wheelset has a 100kg per wheel rating on them. I intend to use them when I go down country riding, but they are classified as XC wheels.

Also incase anyone wonders what a the Omega rim looks like it has a defined lip on it

1 Like

wondering how accurate this is

" * Max Jump Height: Rider Weight < 90Kg: 45cm ; Rider Weight > 90Kg: 35cm" those carbon spokes wouldn’t survive long, but at the same time they are supposed to be stronger than the CX

1 Like

Out of curiosity where are you seeing this information? I’m only able to find center tensile strength.

It’s on their carbon spoke page under specs tab

1 Like

I can’t tell much of difference, just left it in low. I did change the front fork to a 110, so it may be close to what the high setting would be.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

I would assume that the Sapim CX Ray falls under the same stress/loads as that then, and how I read that it is talking about (1) spoke vs a wheelset of spokes (maybe 2-3 are always in contact and taking the load?).

That is great information though!

Looking at the Sapim spec sheets they call for a tensile strength of 1600 N/mm2

I never know how much I can believe in those “jump” stuff, in the past I used to have a Yeti SB66 and the user manual said the bike wasn’t made/supposed to do jumps, last I saw that was a 160mm travel bike used in which Jared Graves won an Enduro World Series :smile:

2 Likes

Following up on this:

My Epic 8 is about to be finished (until FA arrives that is). Looking forward to never having to wrap a frame in ride wrap again. 0/10 would rather hike up a mountain pass with a loaded bike. White frame, black cats, hair and lint everywhere, toddler running around and wanting to help daddy clean the bike

In need of an extended ride after this project is wrapped up

5 Likes

Anyone ever used a D232 ONE Carbon dropper? Any reviews?

They’re no longer the lightest dropper, and it’s only 60mm, but they seem pretty simple in design.

Found a secondhand one cheap.

You’ve convinced me, I am 100% finding and paying a shop to do the frame I have coming in :rofl:

2 Likes

I assume it isn’t as bad if the bike isn’t built up and worked on already. And also, if you have a non-white S-works. And if you don’t have kids. And no cats. And a lot of patience :sweat_smile:

Ride wrap didn’t have the Epic 8 when I bought my bike and I built it up without any frame protection. Only ordered the whole frame protection set when I saw Jonathans S-works with ride wrap.

1 Like

I did it once and I’ll gladly pay for someone else to do it. A shop charged me out the ass for my last wrap and i’ll still take it over doing it myself.

6 Likes

Is it just the bike specific tailored protection installs that are the pain? or are the covered or essential protection wraps that cover much smaller percentage of the bike still a faff to get on?

Highly doubt they’ll ever do a tailored protection option for my bike (not popular enough) so the lesser coverage ones would be my only option. RideWrap does have an install location close by me in Golden though so I could have them do it directly if that’s still worth it.

I’ve never bothered with it before, but you all got me thinking and I looked closely at my old bike, a 2019 Oiz, and man is that frame covered in paint scratches.

i can only speak for me but the aligning wasn’t my biggest issue. That’s pretty straight forward imho. I have a white frame and you can see every bubble, every tiny piece of lint or dust and that’s what was driving me crazy. Sometimes the bubbles won’t go away and I had to redo some pieces a couple of times, essentially taking 20-30min for some pieces to finally be acceptably accurate.

I think if you have an afternoon for yourself, some good music for vibes and a beer or cbd it’ll be fine.

4 Likes

ha - so never gonna happen for me. I have a 2 and 5 year old, 2 dogs, and a wife who tolerates my riding but isn’t a fan of me spending the time I’m not riding doing more bike projects.

Now I’m just debating if it’s still worth having RideWrap due one of the reduced coverage options or if I should just rawdog it like my previous bike and live with the consequences.

3 Likes

I‘d say do the chainstays (outside) and the top tube and go ride. It’s probably not worth the hassle and I wouldn’t do it a second time tbh…

3 Likes

The front suspension maintenance is much easier with the fork removed from the bike. What kind of arrangements do you use to hold the bearings and handlebar while doing the maintenance? I know that at least Park Tool has a dummy fork/steerer tube for this, but I wonder if there are any other options.

I have a cut-off piece from a fork that I cut to length. I clamp the stem on this piece of tube and put it in the headtube to prevent the handlebars from dangling around.
For the bearings, I always remove and clean/check the bearings and regrease before reinstalling, so they get removed when the fork goes out.

1 Like

That is a good idea. I am sure I have some pieces of steerer tube left somewhere, will try this next.