2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

Next time look up someone in your area that installs PPF on vehicles.

It’s a profession where being and working clean is a must.

2 Likes

I have one of this Stem Transfer/Fork Service Tool — Efficient Velo Tools (EVT)

1 Like

That’s expensive! And not the lightest as they claim!

2 Likes

Gotta hand it to them for the presentation at least (that box must be ginormous):

4 Likes

$3300 for almost 1200g wheelset! Holy Cow!!!

They are 29mm ID also!

1 Like

I’m sure these are technically better then the NEXTIE Alphas with carbon spokes, but surely not twice as good given they’re double the cost.

So far no regrets from me on the Alphas. I can’t say they have changed my life, but I’m about 6 rides into them so far and they’re just light wheels. They don’t feel harsh to me, I don’t feel like a need to baby them or treat them any different, they do their job.

All caveated that I’m riding on what I’d consider to be pretty standard XC terrain in CO. Lots of long climbs, some longer but not overly chunky descents, not doing any big jumps or gnarly drops. I weigh 158lb so not stressing weight limits.

1 Like

I opened the thread and just saw the picture at first and got excited thinking that Enve might have finally dropped their new wheels. :zipper_mouth_face:

How do the carbon spoked wheels measure up to Berd?

I have seriously considered a Berd rear wheel for my Scalpel HT, but not clear if I’d want to do Berd spokes on a Lefty front though.

1 Like

Do you mind defining what you mean a little more about “measure up”

If we are talking shear weight the bard spokes are around 2.4g each while the carbon spokes can be 1.8 - 2.6g each depending on what you want and are doing. It is also said that Bard spokes add some comfort to the wheels via vibration dampening, I cant confirm this - however it is said that carbon spokes do the same thing.

If you have more questions directly related to the Nextie wheels/Alpha please feel free to send me a PM.

I am going to put my Alpha wheelsets through the absolute ringer this weekend.

Well over all I was thinking weight, but as you pointed out comfort, esp for a hard tail, would be a side benefit for me.

1 Like

I fully understand!

You can get a set of Nextie Alpha wheelset with CX-Ray spokes that weigh 1,152g for $1,390

You could also get a set of Nextie Alpha wheelset with carbon spokes at 1040g for $1,658

(These will be cheaper if you PM me :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Roval cost is just really taking me back.

2 Likes

I now own two sets of We Are One Revive (25mm IW) which are Canadian Made, Lifetime Warranty to the original owner, both with “Berd” spokes.

My most recent set was 1,138g with DT180’s, Berd Spokes, 28h. Granted I shopped for deals, but right about $1975 built, shipped, delivered.

While carbon spokes can potentially be lighter, I can say fairly confidently that the Berd spokes will be much more durable from an impact perspective than anything carbon which is an important consideration for MTB. They do have test results on their site, but it’s compared to metal spokes. They won’t be as aero as a bladed spoke, but that’s more an issue for gravel and road.

I personally would lean towards Berd for Gravel and MTB, but might consider Carbon for a road application where I wanted potentially even lighter weight, more aerodynamics, and stiffer.

1 Like

when talking to a shop I’ve heard the roval hubs 6 bolt has had some issues braking the flange of the rotor 6 bolt attachment!

also forcing you to buy tires is almost as bad as sram forcing you to buy a the karoo :smiley:

man tell me about it… I see some people talking about it, even one of the Enve guys on bikerumors seaotter video, but so far nothing… definitely using their innerdrive, but as usual from Enve I don’t think we can expect those to be super lightweight

Aren’t the kovee rsl lighter and cheaper? And 24 spokes instead of 20

this entire “limited edition” package with tires, bunch of replacement spokes, tools, replacement bearings, both microspline and xd freehubs, we are paying for all that, not exactly sure how much but I’m guessing the production version will cost a lot less than this “I’m special” package

1 Like

Have they said there will be a normal production version though? I wouldn’t be shocked if they keep the current Roval Control SL wheels as is for the ‘normal’ production version and continue to offer these only as a niche low rate product for the foreseeable future.

I don’t even find the price to be all that high given that the normal Roval Control SL wheel MSRP is 2500. Spending 2500+ for a wheel set isn’t for me, but these aren’t that much more given it’s a fancier wheel + all the other goodies.

1 Like

They haven’t I was just guessed at some point they would release a regular prosuction run, so dealers would have and you could end up using one of the few coupons that work on those wheelsets

From the videos I’ve seen, it’s 100 of these, but no mention of a normal production version without the swanky signed hubs

1 Like

I just ordered these yesterday from my LBS. Yes, 24 spoke with a claimed weight of 1199g.