2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

I dont know if I find this necessarily true based on data that manufactures are putting out. Before I explain, please note that I think Berd spokes are awesome (we use Dyneema on the sailboats, so I like the material) and I have a few friends with Berd base wheels.

That said, per bard here is there chart;

So the chart is indicating that a Berd spoke at 2.4g has a strength of 300kg. They dont really state what manufacture metal spoke they are testing against but the strongest metallic spoke they have is a .9 x2.2mm bladed at over 4g per spoke and lets say 280kg.

We discussed strength in this thread above - 2024 XC Bike & Equipment Thread - #721 by teddygram

But what we came to conclusion was that a Sapim CX-Ray per the manufacture is rated at 323kg at a weight of 4.25g but a aero carbon spoke at 2.6g have a rating of 440kg. The oval lighter spoke which is 2.3g has a strength of 369kg. The 1.8g spoke that was just released from Nextie has a rating/strength of around 3245N (330kg).

So, that being said without any independent testing being done and just looking at manufactures published data that the carbon spoke is ā€œlighter and strongerā€

As I mentioned, I like Berd, just putting the perspective out there is all.

2 Likes

Note that while those chartsā€™ y-axes are labeled as ā€œstrengthā€ I think what they really mean is tensile yield load. I think the main concern people have with carbon spokes on a mountain bike wheel isnā€™t tensile yield strength but their brittleness in the lateral direction i.e. their susceptibility to being broken by a stick or rock strike. This Berd data doesnā€™t pertain to that scenario.

2 Likes

At the same time, youā€™re a little bit biased with your involvement with Nextie. I personally have a ton of experience with Carbon, Prepreg, Carbon / Kevlar blends, and Dyneema. Although not a ton with carbon spokes, some.

And, what I was referring to was actually this type of testing:

I have two wheelsets on hand with them, and the ability to resist impact is an area where they will 100% be stronger. Period. Iā€™d be comfortable sitting there hitting them with a hammer, and Iā€™d never do that with any carbon or metal spoke Iā€™ve seen.

Now, that will have tradeoffs in terms of outright stiffness, but that could be a good or a bad thing depending on what youā€™re looking for.

2 Likes

I would disagree with certain caveats. I have a set of Enve 525 with Berd spokes and I love them but have recently been challenged with breaking spokes in places/situations that I donā€™t think would have been an issue with metal spokes. While they may be more impact resistant to a smooth concentrated hit, they are very susceptible to abrasion damage from rocks. Racing in Grand Junction recently, there are a lot of tight rocky sections and turning in too early or sliding sideways off a rock can definitely put a spoke in direct contact with a rock. With a metal spoke you would typically just scratch or maybe bend the spoke, with the Berds they fail MUCH more readily. I broke 1 in Moab and 2 in Grand Junction. Iā€™m fixing them and keeping on with Berds, but I think the idea of them always being a stronger/more durable option is somewhat misleading.

2 Likes

Good to know. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve had the same experience yet. Iā€™ve taken hits that have bent my derailleur hangar, have broken metal spokes, but so far the berds have been rock solid for me.

Where did they fail? I do know they are very particular about installation and making sure there are no sharper edges, holes are rounded and smooth, and there have been reports of failure because of that, but if they failed or cut in the middle thatā€™s a different story.

(Edit - for those who donā€™t know, depending on what hubs you use, they may need minor modifications which is a downside. You basically have to round / bevel the spoke hole in certain scenarios. Ideal scenario is probably to use one of their Hook Flange Hubs)

1 Like

They failed in the middle of the spoke, near the start of the metal stem that threads into the nipple. Berd built the wheels themselves and have been pretty helpful in sourcing replacements but they agreed/confirmed the failures looked to be the direct result of abrasion.

Here is the one that broke in Moab

1 Like

Yeah, based on that mustā€™ve been a hit by shale / sharper edge of a rock sliding off it, something sharp like you said. So maybe a blunt hit - stronger and more durable. But looks like you found a scenario where they donā€™t hold up.

Interesting question though, what would have been the result with a carbon spoke in that scenario? My off the cuff reaction is Iā€™d want a steel spoke for those conditions if that was what I was trying to protect against.

Trade-offā€™s are maddening :rofl:

2 Likes

Agreed! Iā€™m generally very happy with the Berds as I mentioned but this one caught me off guard a bit. I would imagine a carbon spoke would likely fail too but hard to say for sure. A steel spoke I think would have been ok, even a lightweight one.

The other real downside to this setup is Enve and their stupid internal nipples. Makes it very hard to quickly replace a spoke and also impossible to adjust the other spokes to help compensate for the massive wobble caused by the broken one. Thankfully for the ones that broke in Grand Junction during a race, the tire just BARELY cleared the frame with itā€™s wobble so I didnā€™t have to just carry the bike home :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you ever do look to replace the Enveā€™s (probably a tough sell to consider that), Iā€™ve been real happy with We Are One:

3 Likes

Why does Sidi not make a white XC race shoe? Seems most all other brands do.

Apparently they make them, but not sure mortals can buy them.

I was hoping the way I delivered my thoughts wouldnā€™t make it feel as I have a bias as I necessarily donā€™t. There are a lot of manufactures using carbon spokes now and how I read your post I thought it in a lateral sense as such a rim strike not necessarily a direct strike to the spoke.

Iā€™ll be the first to admit, Iā€™m not going to whack my spokes with a hammer. I would be interested to see some private testing done on spokes, I think that would be very cool and nice for us users.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe that came across harsh. My comments were more this. You canā€™t have your cake and eat it too. There are scenarios where each of Steel, Aluminum, Carbon, Dyneema will be best. You just have to choose whatā€™s most important to you.

4 Likes

I think choice is a good thing. Berd spokes are an interesting option that Iā€™m glad is out there, steel spokes are tried and true, carbon is a logical thing for manufacturers to try.

All my past wheelsets were major brands that offered lifetime warranties and I was fine with reliability and promise of service over chasing lowest possible weight. On my new build I indulged chasing an arbitrary weight goal and NEXTIE with carbon spokes was by far the most economical way to chase that weight target.

Iā€™ve never broken a spoke in my life which is maybe a product of body weight and a not particularly aggressive riding style. Carbon didnā€™t seem like an excessive risk for me, but Iā€™ll certainly report back if I break one.

1 Like

Iā€™ve actually been considering replacing them recently and I am a big fan of WAO but I wish they made a reasonably light 30mm iw wheel. I bought my brother a set of Factions years ago and they are awesome.

I have a set of Extralite CarboCamber 330 that are super light and feel great but are race only as they arenā€™t the most durable (Iā€™ve killed one set).

Huntā€™s Proven XC Wide are very appealing and are on sale right now tooā€¦and they include the H Care lifetime replacement

2 Likes

Iā€™m probably looking to build a set of 30IW rims at some point myself, Reserve look somewhat interesting to me too, but Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t know a ton about them.

I thought I just heard that Enve is supposedly working on a new XC wheel, which would be interesting to see if thatā€™s true and what changes they make.

They are and the little bit that Iā€™ve seen/heard is to expect that they will be wider and lighter than the M525. Alexey and @Jonathan have both been running them but everyone has been tightlipped on details. Iā€™m super interested and am trying to put off any decisions on wheelsets until I know what the story with them is, other than I know they will be $$$

1 Like

me tooā€¦ Iā€™m not buying another wheelset until I see what enve is releasing. still trying to figure out where do I sign up for the Dark6 program! :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had weareone unions on my enduro bike for years, this will be my fourth season. They are absolutely fantastic and so strong, my style is pretty ā€œmonster truckā€ and Iā€™ve broken one spoke that whole time. Theyā€™re getting due for a rebuild, but Iā€™m very happy.

Agreed with another commenter: I wish they made a lightweight xc rim, Iā€™d be all over that. Crazy the value they can offer for a made in Canada product.

1 Like

The Revive is cross-listed for XC and Gravel, itā€™s just 25mm internal. Great lightweight wheelset, but not for all conditionsā€¦