A beer or a coke?

went to the bar with friends about an hour after a 1hr threshold workout and was contemplating my choices. I know the perfect choice is neither, but im not perfect. Say its evening, maybe 7pm, what would have the lesser impact on your workout recovery? (assume you had a post-workout protein shake already)

(1) Coke 12oz - 39g carbs, zero alcohol, 34mg caffeine
(1) Hazy IPA 12oz - 14g carbs, 0.6oz alcohol (5%), zero caffeine

I agree the alcohol is a big factor as far as impacting recovery and sleep, but would a coke (3x sugar + caffeine) have similar impacts on sleep quality/recovery?

Have a tonic or club soda instead. No alcohol, no caffeine.

7 Likes

+1 on this. Both would be about equally terrible for me at 7pm.

I’d never drink a coke/caffeine at 7pm and I seldom drink (any time of day). I guess a beer at 7pm seems more sensible in the context of after a ride, social gathering, etc… But any alcohol hurts my sleep quality, much more so in my 50’s compared to when I was younger.

I’d ultimately say it’s an individual thing. Some people like a coffee after dinner and have no issues sleeping. Some have no issues with alcohol. Whatever works best for you, but I’m personally back to “neither”.

Doesn’t the bar have water or sparkling water? I like to think we are way past the days of social pressure to drink alcohol, but I know that’s not the case for some and social situations can still have influence. But the coke I don’t get, why not water if you aren’t drinking alcohol?

Let’s assume caffeine free soda.

Think we’ll have a better discussion between sugar beverage vs alcohol beverage.

And if I’m going out I’m having at least 2 or 3 beverages

My go to is cranberry and soda with mint.

1 Like

What’s the next day’s workout? If it’s a rest day, I’ll take the one beer (but I don’t like soda). If tomorrow is a regular day? Water. Spend the money on better food.

Coca Cola. And since we are already there I’d also add on a pub burger and fries to go with it. I mean… Why we doing all this if not to enjoy the spoils? :grinning:

9 Likes

What about alcohol free beer?
Carbs, but not the sugary, insuling spiking type.
I havent done any research to verify the science but i choose to believe that this is the optimal fluid-replenishing drink after a workout.

1 Like
1 Like

Served at the “Hohe Acht” during the “Rad am Ring”-event I might add. Excellent sports drink :beers: :rofl:

Is cycle racing your job, if not does it really matter?

If the beer is any good and you don’t have to drive home, enjoy life and always pick the beer. Combine it with some nuts or pork scratchings and you could have skipped the disgusting recovery shake for something enjoyable.

2 Likes

At 7pm I’d go beer. Caffeine at that time of evening wrecks my sleep, whereas one drink early evening has either no impact on my sleep or possibly even a minor positive impact (at least according to garmin sleep score!).