Cannondale SuperSix Evo (2023)

First ride done. Built it up myself, so I was thankful to make it home in one piece. I’ll need to slam the stem to get the saddle to bar drop closer to where it was on my last bike, but taking my time with that. And overall it felt great as is.

8 Likes

My girlfriend runs her on her Kickr, just puts it straight on :slight_smile: No faff needed!

Thanks, good to hear!

Doesn’t look that bad at all. To confirm, they’re 9200 chainrings? Thinking about getting a Quarq DFour PM and I think my 105 7100 chainrings would fit just like your DA ones.

The alternative is getting a DZero PM and some aftermarket 5 bolt chainrings that work with the latest Shimano 12 speed. Praxis Buzz maybe? Anyone know if they work with Shimano 12 speed chains?

Yep! Quarq Dfour91 PM with 9200 chainrings :slight_smile: should in theory work with 105 as well.

I haven’t seen anyone run anything but 9200 chainrings though so cannot confirm.

The supersix evo 2 models are finally available. I put down a deposit back in May and supposedly my size 51 is arriving in a few days. I’m coming from a 1x gravel bike with 42/46 gearing and 30mm tires so I was considering putting an 11/34 cassette on the supersix, along with 28mm tires (currently has 11/30, 25mm tires). I was a bit worried about how different my new bike might be from what I’ve been used to. Will these changes make that much of a difference?

just picked up, haven’t had a chance to have proper photo session yet. I bought from an LBS but never saw it in person, so I was a bit nervous when picking up because I bought my last bike (Thesis gravel bike) sight unseen too, and I remember being a bit let down by its appearance when I first saw it.

Not this time. The aero shapes with the matte finish are really nice imo, it looks better than on cannondale’s website, and swapping out the tires (to get a better tire but also the tanwall) completes the look nicely. It looks so nice to me I don’t want to add anything to it, like my garmin varia. Although I think my ideal aesthetic would have been this, but with that two-tone gradient featured on some supersix evos from the previous gen.

As for the ride, I haven’t ridden yet as you can see from the lack of pedals. It’s kind of odd receiving a new bike now since I typically ride a lot less (or purely trainer) in winter. But this will force me to go outside now.

7 Likes

Alright… My SuperSix Evo 2023 (v4) is ready to ride. Like brianngo’s above.
Out of the box, lots of grievance with this one.
This is what I changed:

1. Cranks & Bottom bracket (Rotor 30mm)
    I have a 30mm ALDHU with a SIGEY powermeter… had to make it fit.
    Designed and 3d printed a protecting tube between both cups that slips into the bottom bracket.
    Yes, the bottom bracket is threaded. In carbon. Yuk.

2. Handlebar & Stem
    Changes here for: travel-ability, aesthetics, -8° for the stem. Oh, and I wanted to be able to mount aero-bars.
    The Conceal stem had/has crazy flex. Out you go.
    The Vision Trimax handlebar is… a bad joke - by measurement. With it’s forward sweep, it added 25-30mm reach for me. Hence, the stem should actually be 80mm instead of the 100mm on my size 56 frame. I’ve now mounted a DEDA Superzero (42cm) carbon aero handlebar and DEDA Superbox (100mm) stem. Ya’ll need a 80 EUR Adaptor plate from DEDA to matchy match the frame.

Annoying things:

• The 2021 MAVIC quick release axles are gone, sadly. The rear axle is a 12x1 single thread. Try putting that on your TACX trainer. 3d printed a socket to accommodate
  • The steerer bearing is highly integrated. If the bearing fouls, you need to cut brake lines. Hope they are long enough :wink:

Buyers remorse?
Yes, a little bit. Let’s see how it pans out.

UPDATE:
Oh, I am happy about this build. If interested, I’ll post pictures.
Also created

• Garmin/Radar holder for the seat post
  • Custom Garmin holder fir the stem (didn’t like the Deda one)
  • Under bottle cage holder for Daysaver tool

Congrats! It looks great. I also got some GP5000 transparents to put on my black SuperSix (pics above), but haven’t installed yet. I’m a fair weather rider :man_shrugging:

Pm me a picture of what you have and what you need? I may have a spare I can throw your way.

To install a Superbox stem, did you also need order a different top cap and inserts from Cannondale to get the headset compression correct in addition to the Deda Alanera/Superbox bearing cover when moving from a Conceal stem? I’m starting to make a list of everything needed to swap over and it seems to go from a Conceal stem, the top cap needs to change too.

my understanding is that the inserts to fill in the space you for the new stem will be the same ones as used for the conceal stem. the ‘top cap’ will come with the deda parts but you will need the ‘top cover’ specific to the frame from deda. there is a good bit of weightweenies discussion about it iirc.

disclaimer: I don’t have any first hand experience with this, i’ve just been researching my own potential projects.

The Deda bearing cover comes with a new top cap that works with the stem and the Delta fork using the original Conceal compression screw.

Thank you but I have all parts directly from Deda.
Works flawlessly.

1 Like

Blockquote georgel
The Deda bearing cover comes with a new top cap that works with the stem and the Delta fork using the original Conceal compression screw.

Thanks for the confirmation. Nice to know it will be one less part to order. Do you by chance have a picture of how the set up looks with the Deda top cap?

Readily available picture.
Imagine the Deda top cap with a larger hole to acomodate the Cannondale compression bolt.
Mindless modification: I had put in two steel inserts into the Cannondale stem inserts as to (magnetically) pull these up. They slip down ~5mm. May design/print an insert that keeps them at the right level.

Yes, picture is bad. I should have pointed this out.
The wedges should be level with the top of the fork since the top cap will protrude ~1-2mm into the stem opening.
The Deda stem uses the Deda top cap with a sufficiently large opening for the Cannondale bolt.

The EXS bars/“stem” look sweet - could you share underside pictures?
Do they allow full/semi brake cable mounting?
(semi = stem can be exchanged without cutting cables but accomodates to run the cables “flush”)

Custom Garmin mount proto with brake cable guide. Semi integrated for easy packing:

Red arrows = the Deda adaptor shim for the 2023 EVO + the supplied top cap:

Appreciate the photos! That really helps. Looks like you can still run some spacers above the stem to get the correct preload. That was my main concern with running the conceal stem and having to cut the fork right away. I might be wrong on that. In terms of the slipping down, I guess that this spacer might still be necessary to keep them from slipping down?

Well, that’s the thing… it won’twork for me. That spacer blocks the cables from running “in the delta”.

And a second thought:
I assume it will require a very different spacer on top, should you want to not cut the fork immediately. All since the “delta star nut” protrudes from the top of the steerer.

Does anyone know why the SuperSix EVO 1 (SRAM Force) is $1,500 more expensive than the SuperSix EVO 2 (Ultegra Di2)? They are essentially the same bike with comparable groupsets from SRAM/Shimano.

Also - Any idea why there isn’t a SRAM Rival option?