Cannondale SuperSix Evo (2023)

No complaints but why a second SuperSix? Just want to collect all the paint schemes?

Ah I just noticed they are different group sets. Love to see it! Both bikes look great!

Slightly off topic but how was the Look Blade? Caught my eye, especially the mondrian paint scheme, but never seen one in the flesh and info/reviews on them are hard to come by.

I’ve had the new Look for a few months now and agree with most of the things said by Josh Ross in his review: Look 795 Blade RS review: The climber's aero bike | Cyclingnews

Unlike Josh, I did not find the seat angle adjustment “maddening”, and did manage to get <7kg for a size M (albeit with THM cranks speedplay nano pedals). Josh’s overall conclusion:

Instead, this is a bike that feels fast. I never feel beat up by it but I’m not going to pretend this is an easy bike to ride. I’m happy with a deep bend and my arms stretched out. If you aren’t, this might not be the right bike for you. This is a bike that begs you to slam the stem, weigh every part, and ride it hard. It’s a race bike through and through and the harder you push it the more it seems to want. As long as that’s what you are looking for, you are going to be very happy.

I came from a Tarmac SL-6 and Supersix Evo before that. Both were great bikes, and both much lighter than the Look. You definitely notice the ‘free speed’ that comes from a more aero-focused race bike, but the same would apply to the SL8, 4th gen Evo, and other modern ‘all-round’ race bikes. To me, the bike isn’t as agile or playful as the old SS or SL6, and that may just be weight-related. The Look is stiff and responsive, but not uncomfortably so (w/ 28mm Vittoria tires). In saying that, I have enjoyed every km ridden on the Look and love the design of the bike w/ the mondrian theme - it’s definitely a beautiful bike:

The build quality is impressive, and all the little finishing details seem well-thought through.

There are some other first-hand accounts of the Look starting to trickle through on the WW forum: New Look 795 Blade RS - Page 6 - Weight Weenies

4 Likes

I mean it’s beautiful but 940g for a lightweight frame is unacceptable these days. For that weight budget one could be on an Aeroad!

Do you notice much of a difference riding them?

They claim 890g. Aeroad CFR is claimed 915g. Giant Propel is 845. Supersix Lab71 is 770. SL8 is 685 though that’s their “ready to paint” frame and the painted ones come up a little heavier.

So I guess it’s at the high end of the lightweight aero bikes, but not way off. And maybe just reflects that it’s an aero bike that’s shed weight (like the Aeroad and Propel) as opposed to a lightweight bike that has gained aero (like the SL8 and Supersix). Compares pretty well to the out and out aero bikes like the Madone (~1000g) and Systemsix (~1100g).

1 Like

Aye I was just going off the weighed frames from reviews and forums.

The Ribble SLR is quoted at 850 but most people’s frames break a kilo :joy:.

Biggest difference other than the groupsets. The Supersix 2 has the R45 Hollowgram wheelset and the Supersix 1 has the Hollowgram R50 wheels.

1 Like

Man, I’m considering something I’m sure many would consider foolish. But I have the super six evo2 in carbon - posted somewhere above. I haven’t ridden it, only some test drives around the block, so literally less than 2 miles on it. Haven’t ridden b/c of weather and I’m mainly on the trainer in winter anyways.

It’s a nice bike, but it was never my first choice of frame color. I thought about doing the cheaper evo and upgrading like w/ the evo 3 above but I didn’t love the evo 3 white either (no offense, your setup is very nice). It’s more because I actually like branding on the downtube. So they released the evo 4 at some point after I bought the evo 2. I really like the gloss black/white frame. I saw an IG photo of an upgraded 4 I can no longer find, and well it looked perfect to me.

I contacted my LBS about an exchange. They said they could work something out. But if did this, I’d basically be buying the evo 4 complete bike just for the frame, seatpost and seat, because I’d be upgrading everything else. Initially I thought it was 105 di2, but it’s not, which made me think twice, but I still can’t get that image of the perfect bike out of my head. I priced it out, and assuming I pay some premium to do this exchange, I’m looking at either keeping my stock evo 2 at retail price (only change I made was upgrading to 28 mm Pirelli P zero tires) OR

Exchange for the evo 4, apply partial refund to upgrades, and then pay whatever difference, which I calculated would come out to about $1700 more (full ultegra di2, ultegra c50 wheels (or something equivalent), enve aero bar (or something equivalent). If I went full 105 di2, it’d be $500 less or so? And then if I could sell the mechanical 105 groupset, maybe that takes the premium below $1000, which doesn’t sound TOO bad, right?? Am I crazy?

Did you consider swapping the parts between the two bikes? You could then have the EVO 2 as a backup bike or sell the complete bike.

I’ve tried looking into this for my previous bike but could never really find anything. Do you know what kind of shops do this and how good/expensive it is?

It’s really going to be a local thing. For example, here’s a shop around me that does it: https://www.hottubes.com/

1 Like

damn that’s intriguing, thanks for the link

Have you looked whether anyone sells decals? Maybe you could add the branding in any color you want.

1 Like

are you foolish for spending money to have a paint job you like? no. For my current road bike I spent a grand or two extra, not sure exactly, to buy a frameset and build it up from scratch instead of a complete bike. 3 years later and I’m still happy I have a bike the color of the Aegean instead of an orange and black monstrosity.

I personally hate the “pocky” paint job of most of the evo forks, not matter what the color scheme is, so if I were you I’d just have someone custom paint just that bit.

Since I am not you and your apparent problem is a lack of branding (lol) it feels like that can be fixed easily by some local artist and more cheaply than $1700. And then you’ll have a unique frameset to boot.

Plasti-Dip is cheap, easy and not permanent. It’s no pro-paint job but looks good enough

I am pretty close to buying on of these buy my concern is the internal routing/stem options.

Is anyone using these Cannondale spares for semi integrated cabling and 3rd party stems? Can I have some photos of what it looks like?

Is anyone running spaces above the stem to allow for positional changes later?

Thanks!

There’s information about different stems and such on the weight weenies SuperSix thread.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that but with over 3000 posts over 250+ pages it’s a lot to go through! I did do a search for answers to the above questions but nothing came up.