What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

Unpopular opinion:

The Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT V2 is the best cycling computer for MTB racing (because of the LEDs :wink:).

3 Likes

Not to mention most people took/take them as actual “rules” when they were always just a bit tongue-in-cheek.

I always cringe a bit when people quote the “rules” even if i follow a number of them anyway. Do what you want. There are no rules.

5 Likes

There are flat pedals, road pedals, and mtb pedals. I would consider toe clip pedals to be a subtype of flat pedals.

Most people riding enduro bikes would be faster with a lighter/lower rolling resistance XC tire instead of a heavier/higher rolling resistance enduro tire.

2 Likes

“Masters” is an absurd name for old people racing. You haven’t mastered anything, you’re just old.

34 Likes

You only feel this way because you weren’t very good at running. :wink:

I guess they make both kinds b/c the only pair of toe clip pedals I’ve ever seen came w/ my first road bike and they were one piece. They suck either way. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

100%.

I’ve mastered being speed challenged

8 Likes

75% of cycling coaches suck at being a coach

12 Likes

My coach sucks! :rofl:

2 Likes

You don’t have to slam your stem to be a “real” cyclist. And you shouldn’t do it to look cool. Even pros use spacers.

6 Likes

1 Like

Rude is an absolute monster.

And I agree, definitely more gravity plans needed.

Downhill and enduro are different animals altogether

Careful. Chiropractors hate this message.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching some Tirreno-Adriatico highlights and I enjoy Carlton Kirby. Admittedly these are just the voiceovers he records for the highlights so I’m not getting the live broadcast stream of consciousness Carlton Kirby effect.

What a Fred with that positive angle stem. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

3 Likes

That’s the perfect way to describe it.

My favorite was the Bauke Mollema pronunciation bit. I’ll have to find a video of it.

If you are a overweight and/or slow cyclist it is still okay to wear a aero helmet & skin suit while having deep wheels and other aero or lightweight improvements on their bikes!

The majority of cyclists are time crunched and not doing longer rides inside or out is okay.

These same time crunched cyclists would see the most benefit from 1, avoiding reading online forums about training and 2, following a TrainerRoad (or SYSTM or Zwift) training plan

7 Likes

I didn’t know this was an unpopular opinion!! Some of us need all the help we can get :rofl::rofl::rofl: