What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

I disagree with this 1000%. I had a road bike woth 36 or 38 cm bars. It felt downright dangerous sprinting with it…replaced the bars after half a season to 44cm. Instantly fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Several times i have seen on these forums and others that people would be better off losing weight then wearing a skin suit, being a weight weenie with their bike etc, but sometimes doing all that is easier then losing weight. Thats speaking from experience as a big guy.

Also along those lines for a possibility unpopular opinion, a lighter bike is just more fun to ride then one that is even just a couple pounds heavier

4 Likes

Unpopular Opinion: The biggest benefit of a light bike is it’s easier to carry up stairs or put on a bike rack.

The only reason people notice 5lbs on a bike when actually riding it, is because they paid so much for it.

9 Likes

Apparently unpopular cycling opinion: I just don’t care how other people spend their money on a hobby we both enjoy. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Sep kuss? I’m sure he’s pretty handy on a bike

1 Like

I was a better runner than I was a cyclist!

2 Likes

Agreed, that value to price curve flattens out pretty fast at a certain point

I feel attacked. Got to 4.2W/kg on 6 hours a week and raised my FTP approx. 90 Watts in about 9 months of TR. if a low volume plan is all you can do and stick to it, you‘ll be more than a ‚mediocre‘ cyclist - says a mediocre cyclist.

Red hydro AXS shifters suck! About time they get replaced with something better.

3 Likes

Man…wish I was one of these guys that got huge gains on 6 hrs. 10-12, and been stagnant for years lol

5 Likes

Agree. I went from 242w FTP @ 84kg (2.9w/kg) to 325w @ 77kg (4.2w/kg) using low volume and an occasional long ride (max 2x a month).

I went an entire year doing every single workout prescribed. It can be done.

This year, my FTP is the same but I can hold substantially higher power for longer periods of time.

8 Likes

Genetics are a hell of a drug.

10 Likes

Drugs are a helluva drug

3 Likes

Anyone who is too good must be on drugs :astonished:

5 Likes

Wait another 12-18 months, and that 10k bike will be entry-level carbon with 105 Di2, lol.

1 Like

My hood position seems unpopular based on those who comment. I’ve had them turned in since about 2006. Not this much but, enough that most notice. I like them though. Comfortable.

6 Likes

Back to unpopular opinions…

You don’t need to lift weights to be good at endurance sports.

Talented athletes make a bad coach look good.

You shouldn’t post selfies on your Strava.

13 Likes

Are you trying hug your bike while riding?

3 Likes

And I’m 4.6wkg at 6 hours… I still feel I would be/was a better runner at the same volume. :slight_smile:

You don’t need to lift weights to be fast. Lifting weights can help you stay injury free and improve overall quality of life… Which will make you faster

7 Likes

running is also more intense than riding a bike. but running fucking sucks so there’s that :smiley:

13 Likes